Revisiting Full Classic Rock Albums from the 60s and 70s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom,

I loved my four Cotton Bowl Shows (Texas Jams) the best. Just being at a Huge event was out of the norm, for me anyway. Small town guy, in the Big City. Good thing we could read paper maps...

Get 80,000- 100,000 people together, well the crowd could get very entertaining..;).

Long waits to stand there and bake between acts, so scantilly clad crowd participants, people almost falling perched off the light poles, etc. were just a added bonus for being there!

To sum up on my personal level only... The Number #1 the best live Performance, With Crowd Participation that I have ever seen, Electric!! We are talking PACKED cotton Bowl...

#1: Van Halen, 11:00 AM, Live Cotton Bowl Dallas Texas, 1 July 1978. Texas Jam #1. I was standing in the shade of the stage the entire show! Crowd was 80,000 plus 3/4 of field pretty packed as the show had barely kicked off. Van Halen was like act 3 of the day? Walter Eagen (Hammer and Steel), Eddie Money, then a act or so later.... Van Halen? Very True. I was there....

They played the entire First Van Halen Album, and they were tearing it up on stage. Big Sounds, Blaring from Eddie's Guitar! RIP: Eddie!

To this day, and I am getting up there myself, I have never been in a more Electricity Charged Atmosphere in my life.

Rock and Roll...has a vibe to it.

I was standing just feet away from the stage, in the mix of the crowd, as Eddie Van Halen set the Cotton Bowl on Fire! He burned it Down I might add!

Back in those days....Circus Magazine to catch who was putting out Albums, so we could go to Hastings Record Stores and buy them...Out here in Po Dunk, Texas. We would sit there and listen to them over.

....Our Radios did not pick up the FM Rock Stations out of Dallas, Ft Worth, Austin.

I will say the ZZ Top Eliminator Tour, at Frank Erwin Center, Austin was a very Close #2 Place, for my personal experiences.

The ZZ Stage of the Eliminator Dash Board of the Old Hot Rod, and half way thru changing to a Digital Dash Board with Lasers was pretty spectacular. Frank Erwin Center has seating like a Funnel so there is not a bad seat in the house. They do alot of "In the Round" or did, I think, back in the day. Great Venue!

REO Speedwagon. Caught them Minus Gary Richrath a few years ago at the Majestic Theater in Downtown San Antionio.

The Majestic is a Great place to take in a Show! Not easy to leave the venue as it is on a one way Street and they have a multi level parking Garage near, Better to park and pay a block away and walk to the Theater.

Great song. Watching them play live is pretty cool.

Tom,

Can't go wrong with live music events, but they are getting so pricey these days. The Blocks of Tickets available even when they go on sale are limited for Great Seats. The American Express and other Brokers have huge blocks of tickets to prime seating. Ticketmaster was accused of Rigging the sales a few years back I think?

I think it was 2013ish, Aerosmith, Music From Another Dimension Tour, First Row Balcony Seats at the American Airline Arena in Dallas I paid almost $300 a ticket.

Attachments

• Early Entry - Copy.jpg
    Early Entry - Copy.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 2
Tom....Yep -$$$$ in your pocket now days for sure if you want to take in a show.

We went to a Billy Joel a few years ago at AT&T center San Antonio and had the two worst seat in the house (Nose Bleeds) and those were $180 each, and 20 bucks to park I might add.

During the show, Billy would offer up do you want to hear this song or that song? and go by crowd applause. It was a great show, and I am not that much of a Billy Joel Fan, but I will give him props he is a entertainer for sure! Dude did have alot of Chart hits. Not sure exactly but his sales are up there with Elvis.

I am still kicking myself in the butt for not going to that Eagles reunion tour right before Glenn Frey Passed away. I saw their Hotel California tour when they were one of the headliners at a Texas Jam #3 I think back in 80. Eagles show was just like watching the radio. They sat in bar stools and played. Not a real lively show, but the music was...The Eagles.

Sharing a Old Texas Jam Article. The Pic on the link shows the Cotton Bowl crowd. The Jungle for sure!
Luckily it was so hot you did not have to trek to the bathrooms as you were just sweating out the fluids. I came home from these 12-14 hour all day concerts with blisters on my face. Once you were there at the front you could not really move around. Like being packed in a sweaty sardine can. We refined our Concert seating strategy by attending these shows...Crush your way to the front was our mantra for every show there after. I had the stage barracade collapse pinning my hand putting a nice rip in the skin of my palm at a Midland Texas Van Halen show in 79. Almost got my neck broke as my face was getting smashed against the stage. Very scary!

Speaking of Billy Joel. One of my favorite live albums is Billy Joel and Elton John Face to Face live in Japan. Two great piano players on stage together. A great selection of each of their songs.

Speaking of Billy Joel. One of my favorite live albums is Billy Joel and Elton John Face to Face live in Japan. Two great piano players on stage together. A great selection of each of their songs.

I had a Susie that broke my heart, every time I hear this song I think of her.

Tickets do cost a fortune now. I got to see Paul McCartney at Dodger stadium a few years ago and that cost me $160 for one of the cheap seats.
I should add that I also had to buy a round trip ticket from Florida to LA and a few nights in a Holiday Inn. The entire weekend cost me a grand. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I saw the Beatles at Dodger Stadium in 1966 and that cost me $6.00 plus about $10 in gas.

Here is a good one for you. Kennedy Center Honoring Led Zepplin, on Drums John Bonham's Son with Heart, Ann and Nancy Wilson.

I saw Heart at the Cotton Bowl back in the late 1970s with 80,000 of my closest friends.

I also caught them at AT&T Center in the 2010s with Def Leppard, as they filled the center to capacity.

This one takes awhile to get going but you can see the band is...Getting into it.

Here is a good one for you. Kennedy Center Honoring Led Zepplin, on Drums John Bonham's Son with Heart, Ann and Nancy Wilson.

I saw Heart at the Cotton Bowl back in the late 1970s with 80,000 of my closest friends.

I also caught them at AT&T Center in the 2010s with Def Leppard, as they filled the center to capacity.

This one takes awhile to get going but you can see the band is...Getting into it.

My Steve always refers to that, as he loves Heart's rendition and it was quite emotional for Mr Bonham.

I saw Janis Joplin at Royal Albert Hall London when in Air Force. Great show. Especially because she was Mostly unknown over there and people were making all kinds of comments until after her first song.

Tom at this point we are using the Term "Classic Rock" Real loosely. We are just having fun goofing around at this point,.. Page 6.

The lyrics are unique, but not quite as the previous one you shared somewhere in this thread.:)

A Little Country for this Rainy Desert Morning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom