Rice pudding and egg custard in the microwave oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Posts
1,234
Location
Payson AZ
My mother had a recipe for custard made with diet sugar and skim milk.  It was cooked in the microwave oven.  It didn't have a crust, but was just the custard.  It was surprisingly good.  Her recipes are gone, and I don't have that one.  I wonder if anybody makes a good egg custard (not vanilla pudding) in the microwave oven.

Also, I am interested in learning about a practical rice pudding to make in the microwave oven.  I have a microwave rice cooker that boils over and makes a mess.  When milk is the liquid, the mess is even more intense.  I wonder if anybody's found a rice cooker that actually works in the microwave.  Space is at a premium in here.

--pat
 

Pat

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Posts
1,234
Location
Payson AZ
Barb:  I've never seen the Uncle Ben's rice pudding.  Is it usually near the rice or the boxed pudding mixes?  What do you add besides the raisins?  Just water?  And it's fully microwaved, or is some stovetop cooking or baking required?

--pat
 

John From Detroit

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Posts
24,576
Location
Davison Michigan
If you are interested in carb or sugar controlled cooking (you mentioned "Diet sugar") you might check the diabetes support forum back on compuserve  http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes

They have a recipie section that is excelent.. The librarian does, in fact, have a degree in food

Personally, when I make rice pudding I use a steamer, Not the microwave
 

Pat

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Posts
1,234
Location
Payson AZ
JID:  Is a steamer a rice cooker?  I haven't had much luck with them.  The rice always burns to the pan.  I did try milk as the liquid once.  Mistake.  I'd like to avoid baking the pudding.  Sugar free isn't necessary.  For some reason that custard recipe called for sweetener.  It was surprisingly good.  I find the Mrs. Smith's coconut custard pies are a pretty decent custard.  The coconut isn't all that much interference.

--pat
 

John From Detroit

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Posts
24,576
Location
Davison Michigan
Pat said:
JID:  Is a steamer a rice cooker?  I haven't had much luck with them.  The rice always burns to the pan.

The rice steamer is a classic steamer (Also works for veggies with minor changes) for rice pudding there is a plastic dish, that sits on another plastic dish, that has holes in it to let the steam up, it sits on a metal pan, which has the water in it, the rice, milk, sugar, raisins, cinnamon, whatever NEVER touches the heated pan, only the plastic and it's heated by the steam (hence the name "Steamer")

Thus the rice never burns to the pan... Hold on for URL

http://www.blackanddeckerappliances.com/product_detail.asp?T1=APP%20HS2000

I'm not sure if mine is a B&D (the link above) or Sunbeam, but the products are so simular that the same instruction manual works for both
 

Pat

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Posts
1,234
Location
Payson AZ
JID:  Very interesting rice steamer.  Next time I'm in Springfield/Eugene, I'll look at them.  I don't have room for a large appliance, but I like rice pudding enough that I might try one.  Thanks.

--pat
 

Jackliz

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 4, 2005
Posts
1,287
Location
Hondo, TX
John In Detroit said:
The rice steamer is a classic steamer (Also works for veggies with minor changes) for rice pudding there is a plastic dish, that sits on another plastic dish, that has holes in it to let the steam up, it sits on a metal pan, which has the water in it, the rice, milk, sugar, raisins, cinnamon, whatever NEVER touches the heated pan, only the plastic and it's heated by the steam (hence the name "Steamer")

Thus the rice never burns to the pan... Hold on for URL

http://www.blackanddeckerappliances.com/product_detail.asp?T1=APP%20HS2000

I'm not sure if mine is a B&D (the link above) or Sunbeam, but the products are so simular that the same instruction manual works for both

Hmmmmm. I wonder if tapioca can be cooked in that steamer?

Regards,
Liz
 

John From Detroit

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Posts
24,576
Location
Davison Michigan
Jackliz said:
Hmmmmm. I wonder if tapioca can be cooked in that steamer?


Well,,, You can go to the Black & Decker or Sunbeam web sites (As I said, the two products are enough alike that the same owner's manual will work for both) and check out the recipie books and/or ask customer support.

Personally.. I think it can.. Anything that can be steamed should work
 

Pat

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Posts
1,234
Location
Payson AZ
I found the B&D steamer at Amazon, but not the Sunbeam.  They had a third make that was very very poorly rated.  The B&D was well rated but had only a couple reviews.  They're big.

--pat
 
Top Bottom