riding while pulled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjg

Would someone please settle and argument that my husband and I are having.  I know it's not safe but, is it illegal for someone to ride in a trailer while be pulled?  Just curious.

tjg said:
Would someone please settle and argument that my husband and I are having.? ?I know it's not safe but, is it illegal for someone to ride in a trailer while be pulled?? Just curious.

I agree that passengers in a trailer while in motion is IMHO  very unsafe regardless of what the law allows.  However, It is unlawful in many states.  I think if anybody ever seen a trailer after it had been rolled they wouldn't even consider allowing anybody or any thing they care for to occupy a trailer while in motion.

In Arizona you can let your kids ride in the bed of a truck but it is illegal to let your dogs ride there.  ??? ??? Go figure what our 50 dwarfs would let you do in a trailer.

BernieD said:
In Arizona you can let your kids ride in the bed of a truck but it is illegal to let your dogs ride there.

That sounds more like a law California would have Bernie. Until a few years ago, the observer in a waterski boat had to be 12 years or older, but there was no minimum age for the boat driver.

tjg said:
Would someone please settle and argument that my husband and I are having.  I know it's not safe but, is it illegal for someone to ride in a trailer while be pulled?  Just curious.

I do not know all the rules but I believe it is legal to ride in a 5th wheel when towing in some states but I don't believe any state allows riding in a travel trailer. The type of hitch is the key. As others have said, it is very unsafe to do so. Listening to the tales of woe from 5th wheel owners about damaged china when traveling roads like I10 through LA I would hate to be a passenger in the 5er!!! :)

In California it is illegal to ride in a travel trailer period.  One can ride in a 5th trailer providing that: 

1.  The trailer is equipped with safety glass;

2.  It has an exit door that can be opened both from the inside and outside.

3.  There is a audible or visual device with which the passenger can contact the driver.

The same rules apply to a truck mounted camper.

Frankly, in my opinion riding in a camper or trailer is a bad idea.  For one thing, where are the properly mounted seat belts for the passengers.  For another, a trailer has the crash integrity of a cracker box

Turns out that when I make my big trip next month I'm going to have a 2nd passenger (Wife is the first), my wife's best friend, a woman named Donna (Kind of hoping she can help with the driving)

Donna just hit some black ice, slid off the road, down an embankment, rolling her SUV at least 3 times and winding up hanging upsidedown by her seatbelt.

EMS cut her out, transported her to the hospital where she was diagnosed with the dreaded "Subdermal Hematoma" (Literly it means bleading under the sking, Plain english word is "Bruises") Yup, that is all, bruses (Note the dreaded term includes "internal bleeding, which is serious, but she did not have that, just bruses, nothing more)

Saved by the belt... You bet!

Except for a few federal safety standards you can't ask any "is it legal" question about a vehicle without qualifying it with the name of a state - the vehicle and driving laws are set by individual states.  Some states allow passengers in a trailer (or the back of a pick-up truck) but many do not.

I might add to my message on the rules in CA, riding in the bed of a truck is legal only if the passenger seated and belted in. 

Carl Lundquist said:
In California it is illegal to ride in a travel trailer period.? ?One can ride in a 5th trailer providing that:? ?

1.? ?The trailer is equipped with safety glass;

2.? ?It has an exit door that can be opened both from the inside and outside.

3.? ?There is a audible or visual device with which the passenger can contact the driver.

The same rules apply to a truck mounted camper.

Frankly, in my opinion riding in a camper or trailer is a bad idea.? For one thing, where are the properly mounted seat belts for the passengers.? For another, a trailer has the crash integrity of a cracker box

5th wheels are classified as an articulated vehicle i.e. a single unit with a joint (articular) which is the rationale for permitting pulling what many consider a second trailer but with same logic is only fiirst. Therefore, one can ride in a camper or 5th wheel subject to state imposed limitations but not very smart to do. However, I must say that during WWII we converted car carrier trailers to buses (i.e. enclosed and added seats) and hauled a lot of people every day to work around Ohio for several years without injury as far as I can remember.

It is a free country, however......

The laws of physics should dictate the choice.

Hint: Most states have found it not a prudent choice... need more hints?

Williebfree said:
It is a free country, however......

The laws of physics should dictate the choice.

Hint: Most states have found it not a prudent choice... need more hints?

Some states kill people on purpose... Some try to prevent people getting killed.

As you said, different laws for different states.  Note: I only observe in this post, and that's my only comment

waterdog said:
It is very common.? We have done it frequently, safely, and legally.

With everybody wearing a setbelt?

You just can't legally have passengers riding in a trailer while in motion in most states.

However, I must say that during WWII we converted car carrier trailers to buses (i.e. enclosed and added seats) and hauled a lot of people every day to work around Ohio for several years without injury as far as I can remember.

Well yeah.? ?I am old enough to remember the roads and highways during WW II's era of gas rationing.? Empty weren't they.? Not much to hit or be hit by.  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom