Right turn with a TOAD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Haven't had a chance to test it yet but wondering how a TOAD tracks when making a right turn. For example if you swing just wide enough for the rear wheels of the motorhome to clear the curb, will the TOAD also clear or do you have to make an even a wider turn to be safe?

I suppose the distance from the rear wheels of the MH to the pivot pint of the hitch could make a difference, but with 3 Mhs including one with a tag the toad has always tracked slightly outside the track of the rear wheels. So i the rear wheels clear the toad will clear.

ken

My toad tracks inside the width of my coach so there is never any chance of it hitting anything when I turn.

If you run through a mud puddle and then turn you can go look at the tracks your toad makes to see where it is actually tracking.

On my last 40 ft diesel pusher, the toad (2006 GMC Acadia) tracked just slightly inside the coach turn radius, so on a tight corner it might hit a curb/object the coach just missed.  No fixed rule - it depends on the particular coach, tow bar length, and toad

Arch Hoagland said:
My toad tracks inside the width of my coach so there is never any chance of it hitting anything when I turn.

If you run through a mud puddle and then turn you can go look at the tracks your toad makes to see where it is actually tracking.

Thanks to all for the input. Mud puddles not a problem here as it seems it's been raining almost every day.  :( I"ll do some tests next week when we hook up.

A lot of that depends on how long your toad is. I have a 40' Bus which has about 10' in back of the rear wheels. Then add the tow bar, 3-4' and the length of the toad, a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, about 15' and I have a pretty good tail going down the road.

I was recently on some hair pin switchbacks heading up to Big Bear mountain on Highway 18. Even though I was hugging the yellow line with the front wheels, the rear Jeep wheels still caught a few of the inside edges of the roadway. I always take the corners wide, it's better to have too much room than not enough.

Back
Top Bottom