Ripped Off Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi Guys

This week we have ended-up a further few hundred dollars out of pocket.

Firstly, we needed to order 2 amber turn signal lights to match 2 already on our Expedition.

We had previously contacted the maker (Peterson Manufacturing aka PM) who could only sell us a box of 50 or a pack of 6. They suggested we order thru Fleetwood - who couldn't help.

So, we found a company (vehiclelight.com) and emailed them to ask if their lights were an exact match for the PM lights - they replied that they were.

We sent off our payment for $52 (inc shipping) and waited for the lights.

When they arrived, they were different to the PM lights - which would have been fine if they were to be installed on their own - but they would look funny next to the others.

We contacted vehiclelight.com and explained the lights were the wrong design (they had actually sent red lenses too instead of the amber) and we asked for a returns authority to send them back for a refund.

After a lengthy debate about the lights being "nearly identical" they finally agreed to refund our order.

The lights were received back at their "office" on October 30th, but they refuse to return our calls, reply to emails or refund the money.

Second, Fleetwood have refused to repay us for our slideout motor.

You may recall that our main slide motor broke on the way to Newfoundland.

Fleetwood agreed that a non-Fleetwood dealer (Islander RV) could do the repair and asked for our c/card details in order to send the motor (obviously to ensure we did actually turn up).

The work was done and we left Newfoundland in early September.

Since then, we have been un touch with Fleetwood and Islander to try and get our $400 refunded.

Fleetwood state they must have the motor retuned first and Islander RV state they have never had to return parts before as the shipping is too expensive from Newfoundland.

I can understand Fleetwood refusing to repay the labour charges to Islander RV - and that is an issue between them.

But, I have written evidence from 2 previous Fleetwood dealers confirming the motor to be bad and have a further statement from the truck centre who helped us when it finally broke in a WalMart parking area.

Unfortunately, Fleetwood still arent interested and are demanding the return of the motor.

Finally, when we got the RV, we asked Camping World to fir an UltraGuard skirt ($300) to the back.

The way it was installed meant it touched the ground when you let the air out of the RV, and the thick rubber just bent under the pressure.

After a short while, this caused the "t-bar" fitting to snap.

When we were at Sullivan RV in Indiana, we asked them about replacing the t-bar and putting the Guard on a small chain loop so it swung free when you lowered the RV.

They did this ($100) and we went to leave the dealership.

As soon as we left their premises, the Guard caught the road surface and swung backwards. There, it came into contact with our drop bar and a huge dent was left in the Guard.

We mentioned this to Sullivans, who simply said "oh yeah, loads of people catch the coach going out that way" - well why dont they tell you !! - and why couldnt they have explained this potential problem when we discussed putting the Guard on the hooks.

Anyway, we pulled into a Flying J a couple of days ago and the Guard broke away at one side and dragged along the street.

We have now removed it and have thrown it into a bay whilst we find somewhere to dispose of it.

The Guard has cost around $400 with all the changes/repairs and has proven itself to be useless.

I would suggest anyone think again about having one of these installed, especially if you have a tow bar fitted (although I see they now sell one with a hole cut-out to stop this happening - just a pity UltraGuard didn't think of it sooner).

Paul

Hi Gary

Well, it does seem we are getting some bad breaks and it is pretty disheartening, but we are still having a great time, enjoying some spectacular sights along our journey.

Paul

Quick update :-

Fleetwood has finally agreed to pay for the motor.

vehiclelight.com - despite refusing to answer our emails or calls - have agreed to refund our money for the lights they had back last month. The threat of adding their business website details to all the spam lists I could find did the trick I think  ;D

Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom