Road Conditions on Hwy 191 off Hwy I40 vs Hwy 491

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arizworrell

Im driving N on Hwy 191 from approx I10 to I70.  Pulling a 30 ft 5er.  What can you tell me about road conditions, safely, cell phone coverage, any anything else relevant.  Also how available in diesel fuel  TIA

arizworrell said:
Im driving N on Hwy 191 from approx I10 to I70.  Pulling a 30 ft 5er.  What can you tell me about road conditions, safely, cell phone coverage, any anything else relevant.  Also how available in diesel fuel  TIA
There is a length limitation on 191 from Stafford to Alpine in AZ, but I believe you are short enough to make the hair pin curves and steep climb.  If you are not an experienced mountain driver towing an RV, that is not the route to take.  From Alpine north to I-70 you would be fine.

Two other routes:
-- Silver City to Alpine.  US-180 all good 2 lane highway with one steep climb (about 8% grade or a little more) about 15-20 miles before you get to Alpine.
-- Safford to Show Low via US-70 & US-60 is better than US-191, however there is a steep winding grade around the Salt river.  Lot of people take their RV's on this route.  However I have not driven this route.

About diesel fuel.  I don't know of any place in the USA you can't keep the top half of your tank full.  Now if you want to wait until you get down to less than 1/4 tank before filling, that is a different story.

Some areas don't have good cell service for 10-50 miles in places.  I can't give you specifics.  Just that some area are pretty remote. And that goes for all 3 routes.  I know Verizon has a cell service coverage map and I assume ATT has one as well.  Good place to check.

Back
Top Bottom