Road Striping Machines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

Hi,  yesterday i was watching them chipseal the road out front and its amazing how fast they can get it done.  Today they were stiping the road and so i was watching some videos on the machines on youtube and they are pretty incredible machines.    But i have a question?

Who decides what lines go where, im sure there is a gov agency in charge of that (state hwy dept) but who actually decides where the no pass and pass stripes start and end. Does the machine or does someone mark the road in a certain way to tell the machine to change stripe pattern?  Are they regulated to be a certain distance from the hill or blind spot?

There are markers on the side of the road to indicate where to change the pattern, frequently attached to existing sign posts but sometimes free-standing.

Utclmjmpr said:
Ever hear of a traffic engineer??>>>Dan

No actually i have not, but ill google it...

HappyWanderer said:
There are markers on the side of the road to indicate where to change the pattern, frequently attached to existing sign posts but sometimes free-standing.

OK cool ill look for those next time..

HappyWanderer said:

Only in some states, and they're to guide motorists in case the pavement markings become illegible (rain, snow or dirt on the roadway, etc.)

Usually the markings are laid out by the engineer who designed the project and are included in the documentation for the painting.

On newly paved or repaved roads, I often see small paint markings on the pavement that tell the striping operator where the patterns start and stop. || for a double solid, :| or |: for a single solid and passing zone, etc...

Must be a hard job, watching, where ur going, lines on road, and keeping machine on track all at same time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom