Roadside Assistance Preference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulooch1958

I currently have Good Sam Roadside Assistance and Roadside Assistance via my RV Insurance provider, Progressive.

I have recently seen many complaints about Good Sam, concerning their ability/interest in actually getting you out of a bind. It seems that GS can't always find *any* tow service to come and help. One customer was in Napa Valley, Ca. Hardley in the middle of nowhere and GS couldn't get help the same day. It wasn't much past 4 pm as I recall. That post led to many others claiming that GS couldn't find a service to help out in a reasonable time. This led to ex-customers thinking that it may be that GS is low-balling the tow services and those services just say, "Nope, can't do it for that price" so you, the customer is left on the side of the highway.

So, I wonder about my subscription to Good Sam.

I also have Progressive RV Insurance and have Roadside Assitance thru them. I have never used any roadside assistance, so I don't know if either of these are actually reliable in an emergency.

The consensus from the stream of posts that I have referred to seems to think that Coach-Net is the best.

So...
what do y'all think? What do you use? Who do you trust? How did they come thru when you NEEDED them?

Coach-Net is by far the best we've used; Prompt service and they don't leave you hanging.  When we had GS back in the 80's, the only time we needed their help they were very good. If their (GS's) ability to get help to their customers is going downhill, lowballing providers might be a factor.

We've been very pleased with Coach Net. All three times we've used them, the first words after they answer the phone are, "Are you in a safe place?" They've provided tech assistance without a service call and they've set up appointments for us, even when they didn't cover the situation. Every contact has been well done.

Note that Good Sam doesn't actually operate a roadside service program. What they offer is a custom version of Allstate Motor Club's service under contract. When you call in for service, it's currently Allstate's call center that answers the phone. Coach-Net on other hand, does actually operate their own service and call center.

State Farm cost me $5 a year per vehicle, including my class c motor home. They paidout $200 a month ago for the service call when one of rear duellies blew out on the interstate. I paid for 2 new tires.

I have been a AAA Member since the 60s. Started out when Dad got me a membership when I was running a Miami Herald motor route in High School.
They have never let me down in all these years.
Maybe I'm just lucky, but why change something that works?

darsben said:
I am a big believer in Good Sam Roadside assistance. They have never let my down in the 7-8 years I have had them.

Same here, we have made 5 calls in 2 years and in each case we received a qualified mechanic on site within an hour or two.  Batter, tire change, etc.

Watching their stock and will decide in 2 years wether to continue.

GS is looking over us.  8)

Attachments

• GS Watching.jpg
    GS Watching.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 19
No complaints about Good Sam. I've used them twice. They were concerned and I got great service.

When I shopped around Good Sam was the best value since their basic policy covered all my vehicles. I previously had AAA. AAA is a federation of motor clubs throughout North America. Some are good, some not so much. They always wanted to take it to their AAA service center instead of the closest place.

TheBar said:
No complaints about Good Sam. I've used them twice. They were concerned and I got great service.

When I shopped around Good Sam was the best value since their basic policy covered all my vehicles. I previously had AAA. AAA is a federation of motor clubs throughout North America. Some are good, some not so much. They always wanted to take it to their AAA service center instead of the closest place.

The federation of clubs is the real problem for AAA and Rv's as some clubs do not offer RV coverage. Those areas have not developed a cadre of service providers for RV's. In those areas you will get service but you may wait longer or get a service provider who will be less than a good fit and/or be a long way away making for long delays in service.

No complaints with Coach Net.  I have used them 3 times and very good results.  Also note Larry's response.  My experience, too.

Check your Progressive policy carefully.  What is their max they will pay for a tow or service call?  Also, YOU find the wrecker, YOU call them and PAY them.  You deal with any problems.  This is true of most insurance based policies.

With Coach Net,  if I have a problem,  I call them, a wrecker magically appears and gets me going.  The End.  No bill to pay. 

grashley said:
No complaints with Coach Net.  I have used them 3 times and very good results.  Also note Larry's response.  My experience, too.

Check your Progressive policy carefully.  What is their max they will pay for a tow or service call?  Also, YOU find the wrecker, YOU call them and PAY them.  You deal with any problems.  This is true of most insurance based policies.

With Coach Net,  if I have a problem,  I call them, a wrecker magically appears and gets me going.  The End.  No bill to pay. 

"Progressive's Emergency Roadside Assistance exists for your peace of mind. If you purchased this coverage with your policy, it's available 24/7?just call 1-800-776-2778 at any time, and a representative will dispatch a roadside service professional right away."

https://www.progressive.com/claims/roadside-assistance/

Thanks for the correction.  My auto insurance towing rider only reimburses for a covered expense.  The difference may be a simple policy rider, including car rental, vs a true Roadside Assistance policy or rider.

grashley said:
Thanks for the correction.  My auto insurance towing rider only reimburses for a covered expense.  The difference may be a simple policy rider, including car rental, vs a true Roadside Assistance policy or rider.

For $22/year, I don't know if it's considered a rider or not, but it serves our needs well enough. Progressive just lists it on the declarations page as "Roadside Service".

I give Coach Net an overall four star favorable rating. One time I needed an RV tow and I waited a long time (they sent me a $25 gift card). Another time we had 3 hours to get to the airport and our slide would not retract and they sent us a numbskull service tech. A month ago I had a rear flat on my Harley at about midnight and oh shucks, I had inadvertantly let me service contract with them expire 9 day prior. They wouldnt tow me that night but when I renewed the next morning they came right out. I use them 3 or 4 times yearly and they are worth it. Two cars, boat trailer, utility trailer, 2 bikes and the RV. I wouldn't be without it.

I used AAA RV until 1 incident changed my mind forever. To make it shorter I had a wheel bearing go out on the interstate on a 26' TT on a Sunday. It was on the shoulder of said interstate as it was too far to an exit to get of the road. Told AAA the weight, length, width and height of the trailer and that it couldn't be towed. An hour later a guy in a small service from a towing company shows up and says he's gonna try and make it so we can get it to their shop. Over 2.5 hours later of him trying to ratchet strap the rear axle up to get clearance on the road he gives up and leaves. Tells me to call AAA. AAA says there's nothing they can do. Nothing. I put the feet down and unhook as I'm about 35 miles from home and leave it until the morning. Went and got all of the replacement parts myself and called a road side mechanic. 2 hours later I'm on the road with my camper fixed.

I am sparing y'all a very long story of the utter incompetence of the guy the towing company sent out to me. I stood there with my mouth open for a long time thinking "seriously".

AAA did reimburse me for the road side call but not the charge for the repair which I thought was fair and gave me 1 year free membership. I called GS and explained only the part about being on the side of the road with a bad wheel bearing and asked what they would've done. I told the nothing about the AAA incident. They said they would've sent a lowboy if they had to get it from 3 hours away to get the TT off of the highway. I signed up right there.

I now have a much bigger 5ver and wonder if I made the right choice. I've never heard of Coach net. Has anyone experienced a major breakdown and used Coach net? I'm talking about something where a conventional wrecker won't work to get you to a repair shop?

Coach-net since 2006. I've had to be towed twice.  They sent an appropriate sized wrecker. I also had 2 flat tires and a dead battery in my car. C-N sent guys out to put on the spare or jump start the car. The guys they sent out for the car were driving little economy cars.

samthetramp said:
I now have a much bigger 5ver and wonder if I made the right choice. I've never heard of Coach net. Has anyone experienced a major breakdown and used Coach net? I'm talking about something where a conventional wrecker won't work to get you to a repair shop?

We've blown an engine, a transmission, and a rear end in various motorhome's over the years and in every case, Coach-Net dispatched an appropriate tow vehicle to handle the problem. They also towed us to a campground first for one Friday evening event, when the nearest suitable service location couldn't get us in until Monday morning when they came back to get the rig. Coach-Net has been in the business for many years, and their call center folks do know what they're doing. Keep in mind Good Sam is not a road side service plan company, they just have a contract that's currently with Allstate Motor Club for their call center service...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom