Roadside Assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An example:
1. Engine missing and lost power - to side of road.
2. Called CN. - "are you in a safe place.?" - no!"
3. Sent wrecker and towed to nearby lot.
4. I queried problem here and talked to CN tech.
5. Learned how/where MAP (??) sensor located.
6. Removed air cleaner and dried and cleaned MAP sensor; engine started & ran fine.
7. Departed lot about 10:00 pm and drove for seven hours - stopped for a nap.
8. Awakened by phone at ~8:30 AM - "We are ready to send a wrecker and have made you an appointment at Ford dealer to repair (50 miles away from lot)."
9. Appologized for not advising them I had fixed problem & proceeded.

I've had two other experiences over 10 years that were comparable!

Ernie

Towing and service companies are called by all the roadside insurers - sometimes they know what they are doing and sometimes they don't. Make sure you know how to have your rig towed, what type of antifreeze/oil/tranny fluid you need etc. Don't let them talk you into anything exotic, it should not be required - or, carry your own filters and oils so that you know what's going in/on your rig.

We use Good Sam - have used it once had to wait for a tow because the only one big enough in the NW US was busy on another call in the opposite direction. No matter who we called, that would be the tow truck dispatched to us.

And, of course, you can run into regional customer service reps that are good and those that are bad.

We had to be towed last summer. Pulled into a rest area and would not restart. It was a Sunday. CoachNet confirmed we were in a safe location and offered to tow us if we didn’t feel safe there. They couldn’t arrange a repair since all service shops were closed on Sunday.
They found a shop willing and capable of working on our engine and arranged a tow. Tow truck driver said the tow was easily $3,000, CoachNet paid $2,100, I paid $0.00.
The tow truck managed to break one of our mirrors off. CoachNet said the tow company was responsible BUT, if they didn’t cover immediately that they (CN) would take care of it and pursue reimbursement from towing outfit. (They wanted to be sure the mirror replacement didn’t take longer than the engine repair.)
For me, the subscription cost is relevant only if the service is as good or better elsewhere. We’ve only had CN, so no way to compare. But I get a ton of peace of mind having CN and don’t recall ever reading a bad report on their service.

The problem with AAA is that it is an association of clubs some of which do not offer RV roadside to their memebrs in their service area, While AAA will get you service in those areas they will not have developed as extensive network of facilities to do towing or other service on your motor home
I had that happen to me with AAA when they could not find anybody to tow my 24' Y2K Class C motorhome in a reasonable time.

But I was told by AAA that I can call any tow service of my choice and AAA will reimburse me. And they did. Was only a minor hassle as I had to mail in the original copy of the receipt from the private towing company that was NOT involved with AAA in any way. Not sure what would happen if it got lost in the mail. But AAA sent me a check for the full amount. Took less than a week after the tow to get my check from AAA. But I mailed it in the same day that I was towed.

I got the form from here.

-Don- Reno, NV

I had that happen to me with AAA when they could not find anybody to tow my 24' Y2K Class C motorhome in a reasonable time.

But I was told by AAA that I can call any tow service of my choice and AAA will reimburse me. And they did. Was only a minor hassle as I had to mail in the original copy of the receipt from the private towing company that was NOT involved with AAA in any way. Not sure what would happen if it got lost in the mail. But AAA sent me a check for the full amount. Took less than a week after the tow to get my check from AAA. But I mailed it in the same day that I was towed.

I got the form from here.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yes and coach-net and Good Sam do the same providing you get authorization FIRST. But in a strange place I do not want to be calling random shops that may get in over their head trying to service my vehicle

I just tried to join CN. I don't know if I joined or not. At first, it told me something went wrong.

So I tried again and then received:

"Oops! Something has gone wrong. Please correct the following:
  • A duplicate transaction has been submitted."
Yep, I am all joined up, I just checked my email:

"Welcome and thank you for choosing Coach-Net to enhance your RV ownership experience! Our commitment to you is to help make the RV lifestyle more enjoyable by providing you with the peace of mind that lets you travel in confidence."

-Don- Reno, NV

I should add to my mention of Coach Net (as Laura & Charles say) that it covers ALL my vehicles, not just the RV, even if I'm not on an RV trip.
Good Sam also covers everything at no extra cost. I used Good Sam once for my RV and twice for the cars. No complaints.

IMO, in most cases, if the road service is good or bad depends on timing and luck. So we often hear both extremes in forums such as this one. Likewise, that has been my experiences as well. Sometimes they show up in a few minutes, sometimes hours, as well as sometimes other issues.

BTW, if a cop calls a tow service for you, expect MUCH faster service, at least with AAA here in NV. Cops have priority, at least with AAA here.

I do not recall anybody saying anything bad about CoachNet. Has anybody here had at a not-so-good experience with CN?

-Don- Reno, NV

So.... We've been living in our MH since April, but pretty "stable".....
1 1/2 months at a mobile home park, then at a campground as a "seasonal"

Now we're looking at hitting the road.....
Figuring we ought to get RV oriented Roadside Assistance

Any thoughts on Good Sam Roadside versus AAA?

The Good Sam looks pretty good.....
but, don't know if it lives up to its promises, and AAA is so well established and well known

Really appreciate people's thoughts, experiences, opinions, etc

Thanks
Todd & Donna
Good Sam Complaints GS
Been with Coach Net 8 years always prompt. My favorite Coach net story: I have a truck break down west of Wolf creek w/b about midway between Durango & Cortez. I call Coach net and tell them I'm broke down. First question are you safley off the road & OK you have your Jayco? Crap no I traded that months ago and forgot to switch, I'm think nope not covered. The resonce I got was give new the vin & info on your new 5W. Whew. Took about an hour and a half, nothing in Cortez could handle the tow so it was dispatched from Durango, tow truck for the TV & a 3500 dually for the 5W. Truck to shop, 5W to RV park and all I did was sign the invoice. I asked the driver how much, $900+ he had not figured it exact yet. Try that with GS and I'm sure it would be sorry. One flat, they came out and changed and when I asked if I needed to sign the driver said he had already been paid. Love Coach Net, cost a little more but I get service and I will pay for that. An after thought, Coach Net will get my RV home if something happens to me, the wife can drive the truck but not the 5W.

Last edited:
I have had very bad service from Good Sam, once having them tell me I had no coverage when I had purchased a three-year plan. I had planned on dropping them and going with Coach-Net when my current subscription expires next April, even though Coach-Net is considerably more expensive.

Then, something happened to change my mind. We took a 9,000 mile cross-country trip this Spring and Summer and for the first time, had serious issues with the coach. A crosswind caught us in Washington and ripped off part of the roof. Four days later, while trying to set up at a park near Yellowstone, the living room slideout jammed after one of the hydraulic cylinders blew out and we were unable to drive the coach. I called Good Sam Roadside Assistance to secure a tow after finding the closest authorized mechanic to work on the hydraulic system was 168 miles away in Billings, MT. At first, the dispatcher I spoke with refused my request because there was a 50 mile limit on towing. I had to read her my contract that stated there was no mileage limit and she had to get her supervisor involved. Long story short, it took three hours, but we got our tow. When the driver dropped the coach off in Billings, I asked him how much that tow cost. He told me $2,600. That made me change my opinion of GSRA.

Now, I'm on the fence post on whether to go to Coach-Net or stay with GSRA. I can't say Coach-Net is better or would have given me as good service as I received from GS the last time because I have never dealt with them. If they aren't any better, I can't see paying three times as much for their plan.

I have had very bad service from Good Sam, once having them tell me I had no coverage when I had purchased a three-year plan.
Over the years in this forum, I find all the messages about roadside service to be rather inconsistent, every one reporting both good and bad experiences--all except for one.

I have yet to hear anybody here complain about Coach-Net here. Has anybody, in case I messed those messages?

Somebody somewhere must have had a bad experience with CN, right?

For that reason, I just joined CN a few days ago. IMO, we get what we pay for.

But I will be happy if I never need them, and waste my money every year with them.

I also have AAA Premier and the Spot Messenger Towing (satellite for when out of cell range). I used the 200 mile tow from AAA when my fuel pump crapped out two years ago, around 150 miles from my Auburn home. I am glad that didn't happen two days earlier when I was much farther away.

-Don- Reno, NV

for $5 per vehicle I carry the roadside assistance offered under our State Farm Auto policies that I insure our class C rv with. I have had to use once so far for tire blowout and roadside service call which they covered the service call portion of having 2 new tires mounted on my RV that was sitting on the shoulder on an interstate. Took me 15 minutes to find a commercial tire outfit that had no issues with dealing with my RV and had the size tire I needed and I bought 2 as the blowout was on a rear dualie. 2 weeks later State Farm agent wrote me a check in her office for the service call charge of nearly $350. She said if I had to be towed to nearest tire center that had available tires they would have paid for that too, 100%.

I dumped AAA on my cars when I realized that AAA covers the person not the vehicle. My niece borrowed one of my cars for a road trip and locked the keys in. AAA said, "No joy for her." We got a locksmith and I dumped them.

I then realized that my GEICO comprehensive includes roadside assistance for all the basic stuff, lock out, bring gas, jump start, tire change and 30 miles of towing. My kid used the towing when a serpentine belt blew on my Jeep while I was out of the country on business. No drama.

When I insured the RV they assured me all the same roadside assistance is included for the RV except the towing is unlimited miles to the "nearest suitable repair facility." - I asked if that meant like a truck repair place and they said yes verbally over the phone.

We received a freebie first-year subscription to Coach Net from the manufacturer when we bought our coach new. That was a few years ago, and I suspect that manufacturers no longer do that :unsure:

I went with the Good Sam Platinum Plus package. $300 for 3 years.
They are the only organization which I could find which will tow my truck and trailer unlimited miles to the nearest service center. Plus all the other money saving discounts and perks that I get for being a God Sam Member.

I joined Coach-net a few days ago for the $249.00.

But yesterday, while I was in my new RV, I saw a sticker by the driver's side that says something like "This RV comes with a free Coach-net subscription". How does that work?

For how long "free"?

-Don- Reno, NV

I joined Coach-net a few days ago for the $249.00.

But yesterday, while I was in my new RV, I saw a sticker by the driver's side that says something like "This RV comes with a free Coach-net subscription". How does that work?

For how long "free"?

-Don- Reno, NV
I've not come across that one, Don, so I expect you'll need to touch base with the dealer, or maybe the manufacturer, depending on who is supplying that subscription. Or maybe Coach Net would know.

I've not come across that one, Don, so I expect you'll need to touch base with the dealer, or maybe the manufacturer, depending on who is supplying that subscription. Or maybe Coach Net would know.
Yeah, there was a phone number on the sticker, I will give them a call and see what they say and then I will post it here.

But I kinda doubt is is a free Coach-net subscription for as long as I own the RV, but it is kinda worded that way.

I will probably have to go back to the RV to get the phone number. Not even sure if it is a Coach-Net phone number on the sticker.

73, -Don- AA6GA/7 Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom