Roadside Assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Big change to AAA RV Towing coverage

When we added RV towing service to our AAA coverage it provided 1 tow up to 200 miles. That was changed on our last renewal. It is now 1 tow up to $500. Not sure how long a tow that is but it's not 200 miles. Maybe 25 to 50. We would have dropped the coverage but still like AAA for other reasons. The RV coverage upgrade is not that much so no real savings to eliminate it. But we will definitely purchase Coach-net once we are on the road a bit more.

I have read on many forums and in the literature provided that AAA and Good Sams will not change a tire without it being a "mounted and inflated spare". My OEM tires are about $500 each and the rims about the same, maybe a little cheaper. Let's not even get into the weight of a fully inflated ready to go 19.5 inch spare tire.
I plan on carrying an unmounted spare so I have the correct tire, but the person who shows up will need to mount it if possible. For this reason I wouldn't go with AAA or Good Sams, as blowouts seem like the most common issue folks have on the road.
Looking at the Coach net material on the internet it is mentioned that they will mount, balance, give new valve stems, etc for a blow out, but do they need to tow the coach for that or can it be done on the spot if they are provided an unmounted spare? I'm thinking Coach Net as when I travel it's for at least 2500 miles at a time.

.... Looking at the Coach net material on the internet it is mentioned that they will mount, balance, give new valve stems, etc for a blow out, but do they need to tow the coach for that or can it be done on the spot if they are provided an unmounted spare?
Immediately after a tire failure on our 5th wheel trailer we discovered that the spare was the wrong size. CoachNet arranged for a new tire of the correct size to be delivered, the failed tire de-mounted, and the new tire mounted at our roadside location. No towing required.

I had that happen to me with AAA when they could not find anybody to tow my 24' Y2K Class C motorhome in a reasonable time.

But I was told by AAA that I can call any tow service of my choice and AAA will reimburse me. And they did. Was only a minor hassle as I had to mail in the original copy of the receipt from the private towing company that was NOT involved with AAA in any way. Not sure what would happen if it got lost in the mail. But AAA sent me a check for the full amount. Took less than a week after the tow to get my check from AAA. But I mailed it in the same day that I was towed.

I got the form from here.

-Don- Reno, NV
I have had Good Service with AAA too.
Small Trailer Towing they sent a Rollback big enough to pull Truck and Trailer Attached Onboard.

I have read on many forums and in the literature provided that AAA and Good Sams will not change a tire without it being a "mounted and inflated spare". My OEM tires are about $500 each and the rims about the same, maybe a little cheaper. Let's not even get into the weight of a fully inflated ready to go 19.5 inch spare tire.
I plan on carrying an unmounted spare so I have the correct tire, but the person who shows up will need to mount it if possible. For this reason I wouldn't go with AAA or Good Sams, as blowouts seem like the most common issue folks have on the road.
Looking at the Coach net material on the internet it is mentioned that they will mount, balance, give new valve stems, etc for a blow out, but do they need to tow the coach for that or can it be done on the spot if they are provided an unmounted spare? I'm thinking Coach Net as when I travel it's for at least 2500 miles at a time.
Can you show me that on the Good Sam Platinum brochure/site.
What I see is as follows;
FLAT TIRE SERVICE:
A service technician will replace a flat tire with your inflated spare or we’ll tow
your vehicle to the nearest professional service center
. On occasion and whenever
possible, we will make arrangements for the Member to purchase a tire(s) for
delivery to the disablement scene. In these cases Good Sam Roadside Assistance
will pay for delivery of tire only, Member is responsible for all additional costs
including cost of tire(s), mounting, balancing, other parts or labor, tax and any
other fees. Note: Does not include seasonal tire changes. Member responsible for
parts and labor.

No matter what service you go with you NEED to read the contract and understand it.

Last edited:
I joined Coach-net a few days ago for the $249.00.

But yesterday, while I was in my new RV, I saw a sticker by the driver's side that says something like "This RV comes with a free Coach-net subscription". How does that work?

For how long "free"?

-Don- Reno, NV
We received a freebie first-year subscription to Coach Net from the manufacturer when we bought our coach new. That was a few years ago, and I didn't know if they still did that.

We received a freebie first-year subscription to Coach Net from the manufacturer when we bought our coach new. That was a few years ago, and I didn't know if they still did that.
That must mean they expect us to break down the very first year!

But since I already paid for this year direct to CN, perhaps now I can have two Coach Net subscriptions for this year.:unsure: :)

-Don- Reno, NV

That must mean they expect us to break down the very first year!

But since I already paid for this year direct to CN, perhaps now I can have two Coach Net subscriptions for this year.:unsure: :)

-Don- Reno, NV
I'd call them and ask for a refund, or at least apply your payent towards future years.

I think that free C-N membership is quite common. I bought a new Winnebago on 2006 and it came with a year of free C-N. In 2012, I bought my current coach used from Lazy Days in Florida. They also offered that to me. But since I was already a member they gave me a year membership in FMCA.

I'd call them and ask for a refund, or at least apply your payent towards future years.
I finally got around to calling CN. There are major differences between the free subscription that comes with the motorhome and the one you pay for yourself with CN.

The free one only covers the motorhome, nothing else, not even what is being towed and expires in a year.

The one I paid for covers any vehicle I am in as well as any vehicle carried or towed, plus much more.

The free plan is worth about as much as we pay for it.

BTW, they sent me via e-mail the differences in plans, but they are too large for this forum software or else I would post them here.

I do NOT like what it says about flat tires with any of the CN plans. It says for them to deal with it, it must already be fully inflated mounted on the rim. I carry a new Goodyear tire in my new RV, the exact type that the RV came with, but it has no rim.

But the bottom line is I get nothing back from the freebie if I keep what I paid for. And I will.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
I would make sure that is in writing.
"Your membership covers a motorized RV (excludes towable RVs) and all single rear-axle, two or more wheeled registered and licensed motor vehicles used for on-road transportation, including passenger vehicles, motorcycles and light trucks. Coverage also includes tow dollies, boat and utility trailers. Commercial vehicles, vehicles over 40 years old, dirt bikes, and ATVs are not eligible for coverage."

That was from the PDF FULL membership they sent me on e-mail. So it does look like only one of my RVs are covered. And they did ask for the VIN of that RV.

-Don- (Donner Summit Rest Area, CA)

"Your membership covers a motorized RV (excludes towable RVs) and all single rear-axle, two or more wheeled registered and licensed motor vehicles used for on-road transportation, including passenger vehicles, motorcycles and light trucks. Coverage also includes tow dollies, boat and utility trailers. Commercial vehicles, vehicles over 40 years old, dirt bikes, and ATVs are not eligible for coverage."

That was from the PDF FULL membership they sent me on e-mail. So it does look like only one of my RVs are covered. And they did ask for the VIN of that RV.

-Don- (Donner Summit Rest Area, CA)
I will call CN Customer Service again and see if I need to have two CN subscriptions for two RVs. And if so, I will see if I can have the full CN coverage only on the old RV and the free CN coverage on the new.

Besides, I would think the old RV will be more likely to need CN coverage than the new.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I just got done talking with CN on the phone. A new subscription is required for an extra motorhome. What they did is change my coverage to my old motorhome. So now I can use the free CN with my new motorhome for a year.

Starting next year, I will have to pay $500.00 to CN to get coverage for them both.

-Don- Reno, NV

So.... We've been living in our MH since April, but pretty "stable".....
1 1/2 months at a mobile home park, then at a campground as a "seasonal"

Now we're looking at hitting the road.....
Figuring we ought to get RV oriented Roadside Assistance

Any thoughts on Good Sam Roadside versus AAA?

The Good Sam looks pretty good.....
but, don't know if it lives up to its promises, and AAA is so well established and well known

Really appreciate people's thoughts, experiences, opinions, etc

Thanks
Todd & Donna
This was our experience with Good Sam. We were traveling from AZ to CO, and more than likely due to excessive temperatures (118) our vale stem gave out. We were stuck in the middle of nowhere in AZ in a huge dirt field. Tried to get an idea of where we were, no mile markers in site. Luckily had some cell service and pulled up our latitude/longitude and called Good Sam for assistance. The operator said that they could not ping our location and my coordinates were not of help. Really?!! So I said what do we do, he said sorry can't help you. Husband managed to get spare on the rig and off we went. My faith in Good Sam is zero and yes I did let corporate know.

latitude/longitude
I don't think any of the tow services know how to deal with such other than Spot Messenger Tow service and they don't even need it as they get the map of your location automatically anyway when you press the button for roadside assistance.

But with other roadside services, you should be able to explain where you're at by using a computer map, even if off line. Just use the coordinates you have with the map and you should then be able to say "I am 123.45 miles south if Wherever on Highway 123".

I now have several tow services. AAA Premier, Spot Messenger SOV, and CN.

Luckily had some cell service
Not required to have any cell coverage with Spot SOV, only need sky.

-Don- Reno, NV

I have the Coach-Net app on my phone. So the last time I used CN, they knew where I was. The operator just told me where she thought I was and I confirmed it. All I had to do was press a button in the app.

Back
Top Bottom