Robbed at KOA in Forsythe, Georgia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
I came across this elsewhere and thought it worthwhile to repeat the warning here. The author is a member of another RVing web site

On Jan 8,2007 at the KOA Campground in Forsyth, Ga. I, being alone and headed west, retired early for a 4:00AM departure enabling me to get through Atlanta before 6:00AM. Up at 3:45AM I quickly became aware that my cabin was trashed. My wallet that I had left on the console was on the floor opened - all cash gone, credit cards and license not touched. Cabin ransacked. Other than the cash, nothing missing. Door locked, curtains all closed. Called 911, while awaiting the police, pulled the front curtain and saw my trousers out on a picnic table that had been pulled up to the drivers' window that had been opened (I had neglected to lock it). Police arrived, discovered a small step ladder up against the passenger side window - assumed someone had been posted to listen to see if I might wake up.Investigator declared, "this isn't the first time this has happened". Analysis: This is a campground with many, "Park Models". My 34' Alpine '04 was arguably one of the "nicest rigs" in the park that night. Whoever the "Perp" was knew exactly what he was doing.Fortunately, I'm a sound sleeper, because if I had confronted someone who had put themselves into a situation wherein they could be trapped I would presume they were prepared to "control" the situation and any blood shed would have been mine. KOA didn't seem too concerned and the owner of the campground won't respond. Obviously, there is a predator either in this campground - or nearby - and at least I'd like the Alpine family aware of it.
FEP

I just changed our stop for tomorrow night from Forsythe to a different town. There's no reason to believe this guy would limit his activities to one park.

Investigator declared, "this isn't the first time this has happened".  :(

That's kind of chilling! The investigator would know what he was talking about. I am with Tom. I would scratch the whole town.

Victim is correct when he says the perp knew what he was doing. He is going to be difficult to catch.

On the up side, he only took cash. He could have done some real harm.

Pays to have a dog. That guy uses stealth, which is not possible, man vs. dog. The victim asserts that had blood been spilled, it would have been his own. Make the dog a medium or large breed. Larger Dog won't be victimized by stealth, and will win the fight, in the dark or against a flashlight. Good chance the dog wins against a weapon, in the dark.  :-\

Why am I not surprised that KOA is not particularly disturbed about this event?  ??? I may be a newby, but not that new! I'd scratch KOA, as well, if I hadn't already done that! They had to know as much as the investigator - "this isn't the first time!"  :mad:

Ray D

As Ann-Marie was bitten by a dog at the Sugarloaf KOA less than 2 weeks ago, I would ask those of your who advocate the use of a large dog for personal safety to please use a muzzle when you take it outside. (thankfully, it didnt penetrate her skin and she is left with a mark and big bruise).

The dog owners, located 3 sites away from us, had 3 medium/large dogs in their RV.

I completed an Incident report at the KOA office, but NOTHING was done with these people - they should have been booted out the CG.

Over the next few days, we saw the dog out with a muzzle for around 30% of the time - which is not much of an effort by the owner is it.

The dog even went for 2 KOA staff passing outside our site in their golf cart - and still nothing was done.

Paul

Tom said:
I just changed our stop for tomorrow night from Forsythe to a different town. There's no reason to believe this guy would limit his activities to one park.

Tom,

If you had reservations I hope you told them why!

No reservations Jim, because we didn't know for sure which day we'd be heading north. But, if we had them, we'd have told them the reason. OTOH I don't recall our intended stop being a KOA.

Just another reason other than being overly priced and dirty in many cases, along with snobby owners, and or, or snobby unqualified personel, all add up as to why I refuse to stay or recommend a KOA.  Always felt they had Sh*t for brains.  JMHO  It's happened too many times  over and over.

Tom,

We stopped using KOA a few years ago. They are convenient and you usually know what your getting but they charge too much. With a management attitude like this one they will have a harder time getting people to stay.

UK-RV: We'll agree to disagree. I'm new, but already have enough camping experience to know that campers are almost all responsible with their dogs. They keep their dogs on leash and their dogs are obedience trained. A muzzle would be frightening, to me! When I say "almost all," of course that means that some do not. Those are rare, and the only ones that someone should be wary of.

A dog, any dog, including the little toy dogs, is all but certain to act as a protection dog, in its home, at night, when the owner is asleep. A dog, trained for protection, is safer to be around than an untrained dog, by far. (Plelase note that a protection dog is not an attack dog nor a guard dog. Those are different animals for a different purpose.)

I feel safer around almost any dog, than I do around some people.  ::)

Put your muzzle on the owner of that KOA!  ;)

Ray D  ;D

Jim Dick said:
We stopped using KOA a few years ago.

Jim, we quit using them a year or so ago. Usually, if I'm scanning the book for a CG, I'll consciously skip the KOAs. On rare occasions we had no choice.

We also stopped using KOA because of the attitude of management,  It seams like there doing you a favor letting you rent a spot. To many nice campgrounds other than KOA to have to put up with attitude at least that's the way it is here in the NE. 

Earl

Ray

I would rather be frightened by a dog with a muzzle than have that dog attack me without one !!

Sorry, I didnt explain properly - I should have said "those of you with agressive dogs, please use a muzzle"

And I would agree that small dogs can also be very "protective".

Regards
Paul

UK-RV said:
Ray

I would rather be frightened by a dog with a muzzle than have that dog attack me without one !!

Sorry, I didnt explain properly - I should have said "those of you with agressive dogs, please use a muzzle"

And I would agree that small dogs can also be very "protective".

Regards
Paul

I'm very supportive of responsible people who have even very large dogs as long as they control them.  I bred, showed, and trained Dobermans for years and have never had one bite anyone who didn't totally deserve it.

Rant on!  :mad:

I hope you reported the bite to the police and not just the campground staff.  The owner of the dog is liable for any inconvenience you have and must also prove that his dog's shots are up to date.  If the CG knew the dog was aggressive and didn't do anything, they're also liable.

I really get upset about breed specific restrictions at CGs since most of the dog bites and damage come from unexpected "calm" breeds. 

Rant off!  :)

Al

Al, loved your rant!  ;D

One disagreement. You said, "I really get upset about breed specific restrictions at CGs since most of the dog bites and damage come from unexpected "calm" breeds."

I think they are second in line. That, mostly, because people feel so free to approach them without asking.

The real biters are the tiny little fluffy-poos! Yeeoww! I don't even approach those when the owner gives permission. Takes days to heal!

I spend half my time explaining that they can approach my Boxer, quite safely - the other half warning them not to approach the Min-Pin. Usually have to pick the Min-Pin up, even though he's on a leash, because people just don't believe he could hurt them, even after being asked not to approach him. If we are holding him, he's safe. So, both dogs on leash, Min-Pin in hand, when meeting strangers.  ;D

"But, he's so cute!"  ::)

Ray D  ;D

RV Roamer said:
I came across this elsewhere and thought it worthwhile to repeat the warning here. The author is a member of another RVing web site

Any thoughts on why a solo RVer would rent a cabin for an over night stay -- especially with a MH of that size and vintage? I used to wonder about folk using park showers when they had super upscale MH's, but the manager at Boomtown, Reno explained several logical reasons. i wonder if he had to pay for an RV site as well as a cabin site.

Am surprised that the perp entered the cabin at all if she/he already knew that the rig was unattended all night. And if the doors and windows were locked in the cabin, how did the perp get in? Perhaps tho the curtains were drawn, a window was unlocked -- as was the window in the MH. Or did I mis read that.

I would "never" leave my rig unattended most anywhere overnight. There seems to be a degree of "asking for trouble" in a scenario such as his.

I thnk the guy was referring to the main part of his RV as the "cabin." I don't think he was staying in a camper cabin. Of course, if he was, that paints a whole different picture.

Dogs - "Loud" is better than "Big" as far as intruders are concerned. It's the noise and the possibility that someone is going to wake up and investigate that chases away the bad guys, not the possibility of being bit. As professional as these guys sound, they probably already knew who had dogs in that campground and stayed away from those rigs.

.... a picnic table that had been pulled up to the drivers' window that had been opened  ....

Police arrived, discovered a small step ladder up against the passenger side window - assumed someone had been posted to listen to see if I might wake up.

Both the above comments would suggest your interpretation is correct Wendy. That's the way I read it too, although I thought the use of the term "cabin" was a little strange. OTOH "cab" is really short for "cabin".

Posted by: wendycoke 
Insert Quote
Dogs - "Loud" is better than "Big" as far as intruders are concerned. It's the noise and the possibility that someone is going to wake up and investigate that chases away the bad guys, not the possibility of being bit. As professional as these guys sound, they probably already knew who had dogs in that campground and stayed away from those rigs.

Right on, Wendy!  ;D

If you want the dog to do something about the problem, then bigger is also helpful.

Don't you have a herd of Labs?  ;D  That should handle it!  :eek:

Ray D  ;D

Back
Top Bottom