Rock Guard - or whatever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray D

We just got a new TOAD - the Suzuki Grand Vitara XL-7 mentioned in other threads. Didn't really think I was done, at that point, but I'm getting a little overloaded at all the stuff one has to get to keep a TOAD happy. (And I had to get the TOAD, to keep the RV happy!)

This thread will be about protecting the paint and windshield.

Suzuki has suggested a clear plastic film of sorts, that goes onto the front of the hood, as a shield. Cost, $200.

My RV dealer has suggested a skirt, for lack of a better word. (He called it something else, but I forgot what that was.) Anyway, it goes across the back of the motorhome, below the bumper. I can choose between something that looks like a brush, or something that looks like a 8' wide mud flap. I didn't ask how much, at that time. (So far, it costs another thousand, everytime I open my mouth!) He may have other stuff if we get to talking seriously.

I'll do mostly highway driving, with perhaps an occasional excursion onto a gravel road for a few miles. That would be to get to an out-of-the-way RV Park. (Not going as far off the beaten path as Robn did.  ;D ) We'll use the TOAD from there. Going to get it dirty!

What do I really need without going overboard?  ???

Ray D.

Check out the Blue Ox website for RV-UNDERSKIRT  I think it is www.blueox.com

It is better built than it looks in the photos and Blue Ox stands behind their products

OK, John, that looks interesting. Thanks!

Do you have one? Know anyone who has tried it out. Do you know what it costs?

Ray D.

Ray:

We have towed a 2002 Honda CRV since new (60k of towing) using a Roadmaster Guardian that mounts on the car end of our towbar. We do not have ONE scratch from towing.

The problem with deflectors that hang behind the wheels of the m/h is that they will actually deflect rocks upward towards the car.

We have friends with the underskirt John mentioned and they are happy with its protection also.

Ray D said:
OK, John, that looks interesting. Thanks!

Do you have one? Know anyone who has tried it out. Do you know what it costs?

Ray

We bought one before we went to Alaska a couple of years ago. Cost a couple of hundred bucks. Found it very cumbersome and wasn't in a hurry to use it. When we finally got it on, my exhaust pipe burned a hole in it, right thru the Kevlar shield we added. Your exhaust pipe must not be near the underskirt. The Lynch's got one also about the same time, their exhaust pipe wasn't in the way and they had no problems. Their car looked a lot better than ours when we got back home ;)

Other than that attempt, I haven't used a front shield in over 100,000 miles of driving. No dings or dents of much consequence and a little touch up paint takes care of the problem.

We don't use or recommend a shield or rockguard.  Have received more dings in parking lots than we ever got pulling the toad. Sl looks like Bernie and I are in agreement.  Now it I were heading to Alaska I would probably use something. ;)

Al,

Don't forget it can't easily be "touched up". I'm thinking of resale and it might be easier to get paint dings touched up when the time comes to trade your new toad. I have small dings in the 3M film on the front of our coach, but obviously they're better than the alternative if I didn't have the film.

Tom said:
Al,

Don't forget it can't easily be "touched up". I'm thinking of resale and it might be easier to get paint dings touched up when the time comes to trade your new toad. I have small dings in the 3M film on the front of our coach, but obviously they're better than the alternative if I didn't have the film.

True, but it's easy to remove completely when you sell it.  I wonder if you can get it for the doors, too?  It might protect them from those magnetic shopping carts!

Al

The brush type and the mud flap type don't seem to kick up any rocks - if they are installed or cut to the proper length above the ground. The brush type will prevent a lot -  but not all rocks - from hitting the toad. I have not tried the solid type.

My Honda has been towed about 40,000 miles and I have touched up quite a few little dings that the brush did not prevent.
Due to hail damage last spring in TN, it had to be repainted. Now I am looking at the Blue Ox shield that fits under  the tow bar.

AlGriefer said:
...it's easy to remove completely when you sell it.

Ah, didn't know that. I thought it might result in a different shade of paint than the uncovered areas. Any time I buy a new car it's a magnet for nails on the road and shopping carts at malls.

Al

>> Anyone have experience with using it on the toad?<<

I have it on my '02 Envoy....works great, had it put on in Junction City, Or. The guy had or could get software that his machine used to cut it.  There are so many different curved surfaces on the front end it would be extremely difficult to apply it by yourself.

By the way I removed he rock guard this summer on our trip to Alaska, traveled with Russ who has an identical coach & saw no difference between the two.

When we towed our Lincolns backwards on a dolly for over 100K miles with 4 MH's  all with skirt, over all kinds of roads, the chips on the cars were few and far between.  In fact the last 2 years towing that way I don't recall a ding at all.  Good luck on your choice.

We had the brush type on our last mh and I hated it.....finally took it off, and found it really hadn't made any difference.

Back
Top Bottom