Rock salt in RV holding tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Praful naik

I started watching RV vlogs and was fascinated by the travel experience! I'm new to RVing and was checking some of the queries!

Can we add rock salt to the holding tanks for freezing and if yes, then how does it work?

Can we add rock salt to the fresh water tank?

Is there any drawback to this?

What about the other options for keeping the holding tanks warm while traveling in winter?

Anyone who can answer them in detail! Thanks

Can we add rock salt to the fresh water tank?
No! For the same reason that you don't drink ocean water. Salt water can make you sick.

Can we add rock salt to the holding tanks for freezing and if yes, then how does it work?
I don't know the definitive answer to this one, but the stuff that goes in there probably lowers the freezing point as much as salt would. Personally, if I felt the need to do something for the holding tanks I'd go with the pink stuff, RV anti-freeze, which is non-toxic and inexpensive.

You don't say what rig you have, but many RVs have heated tanks and/or have the tanks in a part of the RV that is heated. In any case, I'd be more concerned about any exposed plumbing, than about the holding tanks, since the large mass in the tanks takes a long time to freeze, but the plumbing won't take nearly as long.

P.S. It would be a good idea to only post a single thread about a given subject.

Closing this as it is a duplicate.

Reply to this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back