Roof Ac Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nspoacamper

? o
I plugged my RV into the 110 outlet on my house and turned RV Ac roof system on.It was working great left for a few hours . Came home the cord end was hot and the adapter was slightly
melted. Went in RV it was running but just the fan. I turned it off started the generator and when kicked it over to the ac part it bogged the generator down.  Now the ac is not blowing out cold air and I believe only the fan is working.

Any suggestions....????  start Capacitor ?

overheated compressor. It may work when it cools or it may have died a painful death caused by low voltage/amperage....

Most 110 outlets are barley enough to run your AC. That is if nothing else is on. In RV or other circuits in you house our garage. Then if you use a extension cord to the RV it decreases even less. If you want to run AC at home have a dedicated 30 or 50 amp plug installed. I have one outside and inside where I can plug in.

nspoacamper said:
? o
I plugged my RV into the 110 outlet on my house and turned RV Ac roof system on.It was working great left for a few hours . Came home the cord end was hot and the adapter was slightly
melted. Went in RV it was running but just the fan. I turned it off started the generator and when kicked it over to the ac part it bogged the generator down.  Now the ac is not blowing out cold air and I believe only the fan is working.

Any suggestions....????  start Capacitor ?

What is the AWG of the extension and length ?
the typical 14 AWG lead will have too much voltage drop
you need a good 10 AWG extension to avoid loss.

secondly, a lazy run capacitor will cause an increase in amps as it fails

If you are using too small a cord.. It will over heat and melt
And if you do not wait at lest 3 minutes after shutting down the A/C. it can bog down. overheat, thermal cut out and then perhaps 3-5 minutes later try again.. This time starting normally. meanwhile it blows only warm air.

THIS. in fact, is the reason that when switching from Sore to Genny or back you keep power off a FULL 3 MINUTES.

nspoacamper said:

? o

Any suggestions.... ??? ?  start Capacitor ?

See this thread:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,115568.msg1044811.html#msg1044811

Darned expensive, but works wonders.  I had melted adapter on my heavy duty extension cord from the 15 amp circuit in our garage. However, once I installed the easystart soft start kit, I have had no problems, even in 38 deg C weather.

you get the added advantage of being able to run the air conditioner off a smaller genset if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom