Roof access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acmetnt

Our RV does not have a ladder on the back as some class A motorhomes do. I am now noticing more and more without attached ladders.

How do you get up on the roof while traveling - Not exactly while traveling but when stopped at a campsite while traveling?

A better question is why would you want up on the roof? I imagine people that have a need, find a campground or host to loan them a tall ladder.  That said, I do carry a small ladder, enough to grab a fallen branch and whatnot.  They do make nice collapsible ladders https://www.amazon.com/Xtend-Climb-785P-Telescoping-Professional/dp/B000JIL4Z8/ref=asc_df_B000JIL4Z8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167135477708&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3551578584584911744&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016155&hvtargid=pla-303393437404&psc=1

SpencerPJ said:
A better question is why would you want up on the roof? I imagine people that have a need, find a campground or host to loan them a tall ladder.  That said, I do carry a small ladder, enough to grab a fallen branch and whatnot.  They do make nice collapsible ladders https://www.amazon.com/Xtend-Climb-785P-Telescoping-Professional/dp/B000JIL4Z8/ref=asc_df_B000JIL4Z8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167135477708&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3551578584584911744&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016155&hvtargid=pla-303393437404&psc=1

Thanks. And to answer your question...I don't Want to go up on the roof but I have had to on a few occasions with our previous MH. The previous MH (an FR3) did have an attached ladder. I was actually up on the roof doing a small
repair during the last big earthquake here in California. It swayed quite a bit. Never a dull moment when you own an RV.

My coach has an attached ladder, and I would not trust it except in an emergency, instead I carry the same 785P telescoping ladder mentioned above.  It is much more stable, has larger rungs, can be moved around the coach as needed (for example to reach vent covers, or changing clearance light bulbs).

I use the ladder on my coach as a rack to carry the 16' extension ladder that I use to actually get on the coach roof.
The campground management company that I work for has asked our hosts not to use those collapsible ladders after a couple of hosts have been injured while using them.  Me, I don't like ladders to begin with, and I'd never consider the collapsible type.

There is no doubt some of the telescoping ladders are better than others, but don't say they are all unsafe

see this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7evGSkOPVg

Isaac-1 said:
There is no doubt some of the telescoping ladders are better than others, but don't say they are all unsafe

see this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7evGSkOPVg

Well, my boss doesn't want us to use them, no matter what.  He writes the checks, so who am I to argue?
My extension ladder works for me, and since I already had it at my S&B when we sold out and went full time, it only cost me around $15 for the brackets to carry it on the coach ladder. 

As others have said, either borrow a ladder or buy one to carry with you.  Although our fiver came with a ladder I have a telescoping ladder that works very well and has not failed me or presented a safety issue.  In your case since you do not have a ladder, the telescoping kind might serve you well since it can be stored easily, just get a good one for safety sake and ease of use.

The ladder I use but not for roof access appears to be a Telesteps: (The last one on the test) based upon the appearance. it' snot long enough for roof access but is useful for many many other things.. Holds my 300+ Pounds just fine when properly set up.

I have never tried setting it up like he did for testing however.

Back
Top Bottom