Roof leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pipepro

I wanted a project and I may have found one. It is a 2005 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB. It leaked on the back corner seam. The owner used an epoxy to seal it. Not sure what kind of epoxy. I have to decide on removing this epoxy and using the right repair product. I will tear down the ceiling and the insulation plus wall if necessary. I guess I can get sheets to do the ceiling at Loews or Home Depot.
I have a couple pictures to look at and I appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• T14.jpg
    T14.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 35
  • T2.jpg
    T2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 32
You wanted a project and you sure got one. You will have to open up the wall to see if any mold Is growing in there.  Good luck and keep us up to speed of your progress. Hope it doesn?t turn into a money pit like many do.
Is this a salvage RV you were looking at last month?

I don't have the mold-phobia that seems so prevalent these days, but mold IS one of the risks of buying a water-damaged rig.  Look it over as carefully as possible before committing.

I thought I  posted a reply but here it is again. We went to look at this rig and the girl that owns it is in a jam. Her husband beat her up and she was wearing a neck brace. Worse yet he had been staying it for the last year and didn't take care of the insurance payment. He never maintained it properly and the leak happened. He fixed it by putting epoxy across the back roof seam and the corner where it started.
What do you guys think it would cost to gut the ceiling in the bedroom and replace. DYI version.

Attachments

• 20210203_145254.jpg
    20210203_145254.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 24
No one will give you a estimate without knowing what?s behind the ceiling, the walls along with the floor.
Did you already purchase this project.
Do you know this gal and are you sure what she?s telling you is the truth?
If you haven?t purchased yet, I?d get someone familiar with RV construction to take a look at it before you jump in with both feet.

"epoxy across the back" doesn't tell us much and nothing inside is visible except a couple wrinkles in the ceiling material.  It may not be leaking at all and the damage is primarily cosmetic, or it might be rotten to the core.  You can poke and prod and try to make some judgement about the extent of the damage and means of repair, but that requires some skill and experience. The questions you ask suggest that may be lacking.

The main thing wrong about that epoxy repair is that epoxy doesn't stretch or compress and RV roof seams often do both. It may have stopped the leak now, but might not hold up under travel conditions.  The interior ceiling fabric may have simply lost adhesion to the thin skin underneath, or the skin (probably luan) may have lost integrity and need replacing. And the insulation above it could be either OK or matted and moldy. You have to get a closer look and you may have to take those cabinets down to repair.  RV construction is rarely sophisticated but often it's tough to figure out how things were assembled.

Pull that loose ceiling fabric back and snap a picture. And a picture of the repair on the roof.

Because of the uncertainty we backed out of the purchase. There was also one of the levelers that wouldn't retract all the way. Those are expensive to fix.

pipepro said:
Because of the uncertainty we backed out of the purchase. There was also one of the levelers that wouldn't retract all the way. Those are expensive to fix.

Wise decision.

Back
Top Bottom