roof leaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spike67

hi all,newcomer here. I own a a 2001 wildwood 37bhss somehowtheroof plywood has separated at the joints.this has caused the rubber to wrinkle and water has leaked in.  we now have a center support that has let go causing the ceiling to sagg about four inches! has anyone else heard of this problem with other wildwood campers? :(

Welcome to the RV Forum!

Sorry to hear about your roof problem.  Have you been able to get any insight into what may be causing the problem from the manufacturer?  Sometimes major issues are known to the manufacturer and they may be able to help solve the problem.

If you have digital photos, attach them to a reply, using the "Additional Options" menu at the lower left of the message composition window.  Seeing the problem can help in offering an opinion.

hey thanks for the fast reply . my photos are on my other computer which i will move to a little bit later wildwood has not yet got back to me yet .we do have insurnce but if it a manufacturers problem will my insurance cover it?

You're welcome!  Will be looking forward to seeing the photos.  If you are referring to "extended warranty" insurance, it's best to read the contract because each contract is different.  As you have been in contact with the manufacturer, and even though your RV may be out of warranty, it might be worth asking them in writing, if they can offer some kind of accomodation to help in the repair. Address your letter to the CEO, and send a copy, and indicate on your original, to one of the RV magazines that assist in difficult servicing issues.

Making a request in writing sometimes yields surprising results.

hi my wife and i just looked at at a 2003 , 38bhds made by sandpiper,forest river that looked to have the beginning of the same wet spots on the inside ceiling which they have tried to hide with white out!!! does anyone else know of this problem???

I have not (YET) expierenced this problem but per the Woodalls RV-Owner's Manual the odds are I will, if I don't prevent it

Rubber roofs are nice, baring damage and with proper care they can last a long, long, long, long time, Much longer than most other roofs  This is because unlike metal panals, Rubber can stretch and flex... Unless it's sun damaged.

The sun is not your friend when it comes to rubber, It dries the rubber out, this leads to cracking and Well... leaks

Of course mositure is no friend either.. Every rubber roof, or for that matter ROOF no matter what it's made of, has microscopic imprefections where mold and mildew spores can (and do) lodge,  As the mold and mildew take hold they further damage the roof and cause leaks, which of course leads to more mold and mildew and finally..... Well, you don't want to be inside the rig when it reaches it's natural end (Roof collasping) but you know that... You have seen it with your own eyes.

Finally there is physical damage from low hanging branches and the like,,,, Including walking on it in some cases

So what can you do to keep the roof secure?

First, "Bright Tech" roofs (if I've spelled it right) are white, reflecting much of the sun... It's still rubber though.  But this helps, They are also smoother, which further helps.  But this does not eliminate the need for maintance.

So, what do you do to maintain the roof (And yes, there is a plug here for another forum member's products)

First, Regular inspections.. At least twice a year (IE: Spring and fall) Get up on the roof, do it on a nice day please, not when it's raining or you are sweating buckets due to the heat and humidity.  Give it a good once over with the old mark-1 Eyeball.  Make sure ther eare no holes, tears or other damage.

Also.. If you have any suspusion of possible damage (Say from a low hanging tree, or a hail storm) Make an extra trip up and inspect it

Then, again on the spring/fall schedule, Give it a good bath... Protect-all Roof Cleaner is recommended by Woodalls

Then, Just like your "Roof" (Hair) once you have shampooed, Give it a good conditioner, Once again Protect-All is recommended by Woodalls.

For more information on Protect-All products.. Just ask, but not me.. I strongly suspect there will be a post below this one telling you who the Protect-All representive is :)

I'm not familiar with Wildwoods - there are a zillion regional brands of trailers - but seam separation is not an uncommon problem with Rv roofs. The twisting and flexing as you travel down the road plays havoc with seams and light duty, entry level RVs are the most prone to it because their frames and sidewalls are less rigid than the high end brands.  The cross seam at the front and the back, where the end caps join the roof, is an especially weak point.

Are you asking about fixing the leak in the seam or fixing the resulting water damage to the frame?  Yours must have been leaking for some time if the roof is sagging.  Or maybe the construction in  the Wildwood was particularly weak to begin with.  In any case, you have to deal with the water damage first and then the leak.  You may have to remove a portion of the roof covering and/or the interior ceiling to fix the damage.

hey, thanks for the replys's. the camper has not been traveled only 100 miles or less! so i do not think that it has been damaged due to twisting . We have heard of other forest river roofs with same problem. i think that this otherwise perfect camper will maybe a total loss!!. we are hoping that our insurance will cover all the damage and we can begin to look for another 37-40 footer soon!!

The main thing on RV roofs is to inpsect them at least annually and get any leaks repaired ASAP to prevent the sort of damage you incurred.  It's a sad fact that seams may lift, mildew may get under the eges and separate the glues, etc. And yes, the workmanship on the seams may not have been all that great to begin with.

I doubt if your vehicle insurance will cover a water leak unless there was storm damage or something like that. Roof leaks are generally considered normal wear and tear, even  though yours  was somewhat premature.  But go ahead and file a claim - it can't hurt.  If you are talking about an extended warranty policy, then it will depend on the particular policy.

Good luck with your claim!!!

Hello, I too have a 2002 Forest River Sandpiper 38BHDS and it is leaking from the roof perimeter.  It has never travelled (seasonal site) and we purchased it second hand.  One dealer said that FR put a TPO roof from Alpha Roofing Systems on these and has since changed to rubber.  The TPO type roof is notorius for leaking and there's nothing we can do about it except for spending about $6K and putting on an entirely new roof.  I feel helpless and would appreciate any idea/support/advice on how to tackle/fix this.  Thx u!

Back
Top Bottom