Roof leaving white strips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JD Sharp

What can be done to stop a white roof from leaving white strips down side of motorhome. I wash the roof when I do the sides. That lasts for only a week or so. Is there a paint or clear coat I can seal it with. I am not afraid putting in the work if the results are long lasting.

You can use a floor wax or one of the "rubber roof" protectant products to temporarily seal the finish, but nothing stops chalking for very long. The chalky surface loosens and the wax or sealant comes away with it.

Does the Allegro Red have a fiberglass roof?  If so, the chalk is mostly likely detriorating paint.  Fiberglass can be repainted and that should resist further chalking for 8-10 years.  My recommendation for a fiberglass roof paint is Dicor Fiberglass Roof Coating. It did a terrific job on my 2004 American Tradition fiberglass roof.  I used a simpler prep method than the laborious process that Dicor describes (and sells extra products for).

We and several other folks here had this issue with our fiberglass roofs (story: here). It was quite unlike chalking I've seen for years on untreated/unprotected fiberglass boats. In the case of our coach, the problem eventually quit, although I hadn't done anything to improve/stop the issue.

Our roof, now 16 years old, currently  looks like it needs a coat of 'something', and I'll probably try the stuff that Gary mentioned.

I just did the Dicor fiberglass roof coating on mine.  No more chalking fiberglass or streaks down the sides.  So far so good!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom