Roof Maintenance, not sure what it means exactly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunshineman6869

I have a 2016 Reactor 27Fs, that was used and kept in good condition. I want to keep up on the roof, there doesn't seem to be any problems at this time, but have heard about
1) a yearly application of some roof treatment
2) Is it important to wash the roof, here in Michigan we get some rain, and to me that is sort of a rinse off, depending on the how hard the rain is.
3) I know you need to aware of fixing leaks or open gaps in roof material, or current caulking.
I would like some details, especially about yearly roof treatment, if any is needed
Thank you

Washing the roof is just as important as washing your car, rain does not remove oily road dirt or air pollution that falls out of the atmosphere.
Washing the roof also, just like washing your car, allows you to notice every defect, ding, etc.
I wash the RV roof approx. 4X a year when washing the rest of the RV. I use a 5G pail of water with a few oz bleach and a cup of car wash soap mixture.
A broom handle in an old RV wash brush allows me to stand while washing the roof, yet notice every defect in the roof covering.
Some owners IMO, get carried away with treating the roof manterial, but it's their property and their money, so none of my business.
You are right, noticing every weak spot in caulking and sealing, and repairing those, is the end goal.

There are lots of roof wash products out there. I had no qualms about getting down on my knees with a scrub brush to scrub my roof. While I was down there I was able to give a close inspection of all the seams. Any that looked suspectable I would remember and go up and clean old loose caulking and recaulk.

1) a yearly application of some roof treatment
2) Is it important to wash the roof, here in Michigan we get some rain, and to me that is sort of a rinse off, depending on the how hard the rain is.
3) I know you need to aware of fixing leaks or open gaps in roof material, or current caulking.
I would like some details, especially about yearly roof treatment, if any is needed
  1. No annual application of a "roof treatment" is required. Some people like to apply a wax-type product to EPDM rubber roofs in hopes of helping it shed dirt and prevent mold, but results are inconsistent. But it doesn't hurt either.
  2. Washing the roof regularly with a good detergent & bleach solution is just as effective as the "treatment" in #1 above. Or moreso. If nothing else, it keeps the roof looking better and avoids the dreaded "black streaks" on the sidewalls. Rain, especially the intermittent stuff outside of tropical climates, isn't sufficient to wash it clean.
  3. Leaks occur where the lap sealant (caulk) has come loose or is deeply cracked, allowing water to penetrate. The roof material itself (EPDM, TPO, filon or PVC) doesn't leak unless damaged by something, e.g. a tree limb. Other vulnerable places include around marker lights, mounting points for ladder or solar panels, protrusions for plumbing or fridge vents, etc.

I would like to thank all of you for some significant information. You all touched on similar procedures, with similar information.
I like it when it works like that.
One question for Ray, what are some details of, an RV wash brush ?
Once again I thank all of you…….

Washing the roof is just as important as washing your car, rain does not remove oily road dirt or air pollution that falls out of the atmosphere.
Washing the roof also, just like washing your car, allows you to notice every defect, ding, etc.
I wash the RV roof approx. 4X a year when washing the rest of the RV. I use a 5G pail of water with a few oz bleach and a cup of car wash soap mixture.
A broom handle in an old RV wash brush allows me to stand while washing the roof, yet notice every defect in the roof covering.
Some owners IMO, get carried away with treating the roof manterial, but it's their property and their money, so none of my business.
You are right, noticing every weak spot in caulking and sealing, and repairing those, is the end goal.
I have an older car wash brush, that has threads in the middle for a handle. Would that work or do I need to shop for a RV wash brush?
I am assuming washing back to front is the correct way, and
washing for approximately 10 feet, than rinse that, and move to the next section.........
My trailer is 30 feet long.
Thank you
Mike

Would that work or do I need to shop for a RV wash brush?
It will work fine. I do use one with a telescoping pole but if your brush has a removable handle it would be very easy to add that to yours. I use the one that I have to wash the sides of the RV and the awning as well and that is the main reason for the telescoping handle. As to cleaners, there are many that work well but if your roof is EDPM make sure that you don't use a cleaner that has petroleum or citrus products as that can damage the membrane. I have washed our RV roof using a treatment and not using one and found that the better treatments do lessen the streaking of the sides of the RV and help the roof to stay clean longer. Using a product like Dicor Roof Guard or similar does indeed help.

I have an older car wash brush, that has threads in the middle for a handle. Would that work or do I need to shop for a RV wash brush?
It will do ok, but you don't need a gentle car or RV wash brush for the roof. You can use a much harsher brush on the roof than you would choose for the pretty sidewalls or painted surfaces. I usually recommend a medium duty floor scrub brush, which assists in cleaning dirt & mold from around caulked seams and the pores of roof membranes or filon. Don't worry - the roof is a lot tougher than internet memes would have you believe. Even Dicor (rubber roof manufacturer) recommends a medium bristle brush.

The wash brush rod is very sturdy and the telescopes are ridiculously long. The scrub head is great for removing these impaled critters. The window squeegee/squeegee works better than any gas station wand I've ever used. The soft rod head is perfect for washing tops, including sunroofs, and the adjustable angle locking attachment makes it even better. The gloves are of good quality and the long brush is sufficient.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom