Roof repair...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zach

Hello,
There may have been a post on this topic recently but I was unable to find. Can someone point me in the right direction for the best way to resurface my Class C's roof? It's discolored and flaking off, no leaks but it is unsightly and just doesn't seem right.
thanks for the help,
Zach

What kind of roof? EDPM rubber? Metal? Fiberglass?

Most older Rvs have EDPM rubber roofs, but they don't flake. Sounds like it may have been coated with something once before.  If so, the first problem is to get the flaking stuff off and the roof clean, so that something else has a firm base to adhere too.  Then you can use a product like Koolseal RV Roof Coatings

Hi Gary,
I think it's an EDPM roof and I guess the flaking is more the old caulking that's up there, it's blackish and cracking...but the RV is dry. There are two spots I have identified as letting some water in and I've attempted to caulk those.

Is my best to clean the roof and then apply one of the protectants from the RV roof system website?
Thanks,
Zach

Is my best to clean the roof and then apply one of the protectants from the RV roof system website?

That's what I would do.  Got to get whatever is flaking off first, though.

That site I listed is one of several with RV roof product. I suggest you Google "RV roof repair" to see what is available. Lot's of choices. Koolseal works, though, and is used on all kinds of roofs so is widely available (Home Depot, Lowes and local hardware stores should all have it).

I cleaned myroof raeal good last year with ALL GREEN from a NAPA store and then used Koolseal Primer and then 3 coats of Koolsel white finish  Roof is looking great.

Clean well, Products like Spic and Span or Simple Green should work well (Any good floor cleaner)  Clean as you would a floor, mop and rinse,  Have a partner standing by to rinse down the sides of the rig when stuff runs down the sides and when done give the whole rig a bath from the roof down (Finished that process today)

Get down on hands and knees and inspect the entire roof, if the flaking is the old caulk remove and re-caulk with proper roof caulk (Dicor Lap Sealant?) for example.

If there is damage to the roof, Eternabond tape works, If the entire roof is in good condition, save for the caulk, you have choices, Protect or not, I used Protect-All Roof Treatment

Spray on and mop to spread evenly (Sponge mop or wax applicator)

But give the caulk a few days to cure first

By the way,  I used Spic and Span

Don't use an oil based cleaner onthe roof.  That's  a NONO  I've been told by a service rep.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom