Roof replacement cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Picklestu

About how much should it cost to replace a roof on a 30ft tt? Not just a new rubber coat, it needs roof torn off and trusses replaced then new roof back on. Thanks

Hard to say without seeing the actual damage . But not cheap - you're talking about replacing about 1/3 of the trailer's total exterior surface area.

How in heck can anybody give you an estimate without seeing it. Your talking about 2x4s to make trusses, your talking about1/2 OSB or plywood at $50. A sheet, your talking about labor at $150. an hour per man.
So at a minimum I would guess 8 thousand or more.

Not just a new rubber coat, it needs roof torn off and trusses replaced then new roof back on.
How many trusses? That is probably the most expensive part. Just a new roof without any trusses will usually run between $3000 and $5000, depending on how much underlay must be replaced and the type of roofing membrane you use.

Ok so I thought there was experienced people on here. I have a 2008 forest river 831RLSS 31 FT TT. AS I said needs complete roof redo. If you have no clue you to cost you need not reply.

I know how much my insurance company paid to have the complete rubber roof replaced as well as rebuilding the inside ceiling and structure on about half of my old 29' motor home, but I wouldn't tell him on a bet after the way he treated Lou and Kirk.

OP: I hope you pay no attention to others who will not answer your question or make you feel guilty for asking it.

I don't know what your roof will cost, but I can tell you Winnebago in Forest River quoted me $33,500 (2018) to replace my roof (which includes the vinyl ceiling inside) and when I picked it up it was $35,000.

I have a 40' RV and Winnebago and their roofs are made differently vs. other mfg roofs, which I understand can be rebuilt in sections.

The only shop I would trust besides the manufacture is AZ Expert. (See some of his YouTube videos for more info and how to contact them.)

The Winnebago roof is lighter, but not superior IMO. I would much rather have a roof made out of many trusses as shown in the picture below vs. a foam core roof Winnebago builds. And I suspect they do it this way, because it's cheaper and lighter weight.

Attachments

• Roof - Aluminium Construction.jpg
    Roof - Aluminium Construction.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20180813_142329.jpg
    20180813_142329.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Roof 1.JPG
    Roof 1.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 5
OP: I hope you pay no attention to others who will not answer your question or make you feel guilty for asking it.
It’s not that others would not answer his question. They just needed more information. And nobody made him feel guilty for asking the question. The OP is the one that got the attitude. I’m glad that you responded with real world experience and was able to give him some idea as to what it might cost. Hopefully your information will be of some help to him. But he still needs to contact someone that does this type of work for an estimate.

My guess is that the OP has roof-rot. Also, I'm guessing his trusses are rusted or this is a race vehicle and too many people spent time on the roof, which crushed the trusses.

We really don't know.

However, the real challenge of any roof project is how the roof radius is formed.

Mostly, this is grunt work. And you need several young and capable men for this job; and you need people who will not hurt themselves getting the job done!

Note: I also had very good experiences spraying a Rhino Roof on my RV after the wind blew a section of my roof fiberglass off. They quoted me $7,500 before the job started, but the bill was $9,500 when I picked it up.

The Rhino Roof was a home run. The problem was that too many "Joe's" stood in one place on my roof and that crushed as section over my slide-out. So when I extended the slide, that action ripped the vinyl headliner. (What a bummer.)

After that I went to Winnebago to have them replace the whole roof, but I really think the rhino roof would have been an ideal seal and the color was very nice. Likewise, I was looking forward to no more room radius caulking maintenance. I also was thinking there would be some added insulation benefits, and you walk on the Rhino roof without slipping. Plus it looked beautiful! (Oh well.)

I highly recommend all Winnebago roof owners to put a seaonal notation in their maintenance log book regarding roof inspections. For example: "On xx/xx/xxxx I performed a roof inspection found no crack in the roof radius caulk and the rest of the roof sealants were in good shape and meet manufactures requirements for return to service."

If you don't do something like this, then your insurance company will 90% NOT PAY you for wind damage to your roof.

Also, in my case, I went the FAA website to find the rated wind speed at the local airport... to prove gusts in the area I was traveling was over 50MPH. And I took pictures of the news reports on TV to prove wind gusts were not normal and caused my roof to be damaged.

Attachments

• 20180417_144850.jpg
    20180417_144850.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180415_140502.jpg
    20180415_140502.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 10
I had an outfit in north Georgia do mine - a 31' toyhauler - for right at $5000. That being said, it wasn't exactly old world craftsmanship, either. A typical price would be around 12 - 14 grand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom