Roof top air cond.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dick Papaleo

I am planning to add a roof top A/C unit to my M/H and looking at the three units on the market , Colman, Carrier and Dometic I want a 15,000 btu so I need some help, what are your recomendations . This unit will be in addition to my basement system . I have a 2006 Tour Master T40 look forward to your input. Live in a very hot climate (Las Vegas) and travel a lot in the west.

Thanks
Dick

Your unit is 12'6" which is just 12" below the legal mximum so you'll need a low profile. The Dometic Penquin model may work.

I've had them all on one rig or another and they all seem to work about the same. The Dometic Low Profile model is an excellent choice, since your rig is already pretty tall. Had a pair of them on the Dolphin we recently traded and they performed well for 4 years.

blueblood said:
Your unit is 12'6" which is just 12" below the legal mximum so you'll need a low profile. The Dometic Penquin model may work.

One of the more interesting "nits" I found in my cyber travels is that the legal max height for Motor Homes, at least in some states is 12'6"  A foot less than semi trucks

Dick Papaleo said:
I am planning to add a roof top A/C unit to my M/H and looking at the three units on the market , Colman, Carrier and Dometic I want a 15,000 btu so I need some help, what are your recomendations . This unit will be in addition to my basement system . I have a 2006 Tour Master T40 look forward to your input. Live in a very hot climate (Las Vegas) and travel a lot in the west.

Thanks
Dick

Howdy, Dick.

We have three Dometic Penguin roof air conditioners on our Blue Bird Wanderlodge. The LR and bedroom units are the original equipment and are 13 years old. The center unit is also a Dometic Penguin unit and it is 7 years old. We had the fan motors in the LR and bedroom units replaced in April. These ACs are going strong. We are satisfied with their performance in 100+ degree heat.

Regards,
Liz

the legal max height for Motor Homes, at least in some states is 12'6"  A foot less than semi trucks

Can you identify the states and point to the documentation for that?  From what I have seen in my research, there are no real limits on height - just a standard height for bridge construction and traffic signal, which varies from state to state and may change from year to year. And has numerous exceptions as well, if local conditions do not permit the "standard" height.  That's different than excessive widths, which are subject to a permitting system in just about every state.

John In Detroit said:
One of the more interesting "nits" I found in my cyber travels is that the legal max height for Motor Homes, at least in some states is 12'6"  A foot less than semi trucks

Yes, I was thinking bridge heigth without checking regulations. When I did I found the predominant limit is 13.5 which makes sense since the bridge is 13.6. There was one 13 ft (CO) and several 14 ft. Canada has a 4.15 m limit except in one which is 4 m.

Source is Rules of Road in Woodall's (page 138--) who state they check with  state and provicial highway departments and/or police departments to verify accuracy.

Dick, I'll 2nd or 3rd the Dometic Penguin.  Another question, since you have basement A/C are any of your roof vents wired for 110VAC?  If one of them is then it's a no brainer, but if none of them are wired, then your going to have to figure how to get the wiring to the vent.

I think a very important point for installing roof top a/c's is the warrany by both the A/C manufacturer and the warrany [in writing by the installer].

The placement on the roof studs - the weight profile - the sealing of the untis - the draining of the water - the re-wiring of the coach and can the coach handle both the existing and new units.  Lots of starting power needed.

Another question, since you have basement A/C are any of your roof vents wired for 110VAC?  If one of them is then it's a no brainer, but if none of them are wired, then your going to have to figure how to get the wiring to the vent.
Even if there is 120V wiring to one or more rooftop vents, I seriously doubt that the wire size is sufficient for an a/c unit. Even if it were, it certainly is connected to other 120V fans/appliance outlets elswhere in the coach and won't have its own circuit breaker. IMHO, an a/c unit must have a dedicated c.b.

Thanks everyone for your input, sorry it took me so long to respond but I have been out of town on business. It looks like no matter which manufacturer I choose it won't be a mistake. There were some good questions submitted as well. The M/H is pre wired from the factory for the roof top A/C and there is an" Automatic Energy Selector Switch" installed by Gulf Stream to share the power with my basement unit. It should make it easy? Thanks again for the input and everyone have a great new year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom