Roof waxing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokeater1

My Minnie has a fiberglass roof. Now that we have had it for almost a year, decided time to put a coat of wax on. Easier said than done. Bought some RV gel coat wax at Camping World. Washed the rig and got started. Hard to put the wax on and harder to buff out. Now mine is not yet oxidized so I thought this would be easier. Having waxed a lot of cars this was much harder. Almost like the roof was not supposed to be waxed.
What does everyone else do ? I was figuring about two times a year to protect the roof.
My next plan is to find a applicator with a handle, and use a power buffer to polish....

Jack.

My rig is 15 months old and I have not waxed the roof yet.? It seems to stay shiny and is not slippery when wet.? Hate to mess with it while it is so nice.? Rain and travel wind keeps it clean.? Will keep an eye on it as the months roll by.

I mopped mine the other day, it's now bright again, Will re-mop tomorrow if weather permits

The first time I could have done a better job.

Someting folks need to remember in these days of 2-3 dollar gas.

A slippery rig slips through the air with less resistance and that means more MPG

I use a 5 inch electric buffer and a wax made by Protectall .

I did about half by hand before I gave up and bought the buffer.

I found a bigger buffer was too hard to use on the sides of the mh when on a ladder reaching up, so went with the 5 inch.

There is a product called RV Oxidizer remover that will work easier.

I am up on our roof quite a bit so I do clean it regularly but would be hesitant to wax it as it would sure get slippery when it is wet.

A waxed fiberglass roof is an accident waiting to happen, especially if it's wet.

Clay L said:
So is an unwaxed roof. I avoid getting up there when it's wet, waxed or not.

Clay:

Some of us just have to look down on everyone. ;D ;D

(And set up out sat antenna)

Clay L said:
So is an unwaxed roof.

That's true Clay. If we get a chance to sit together around a campfire, remind me to tell you my favorite wet fiberglass story. Everyone who hears it immediately puts on a pair of boat shoes with the non-slip (aka Sperry type) soles.

Wish I had had those boat shoes in Tenn when 7 inches of snow fell on our MH one night a couple of years ago.  We have  a rubber roof and I slide or as Dizzy Dean used to say " I slud right off."    Couldn't close the slide  on the MH  and had to get on the roof to sweep it off.  Dumb me didn't have a ladder with us.  Anyway after 2 sludings, I finally talked some young feller to get up there and do it.  See how smart you can get after 2 sludings.  Well anyway we did "get er done" as Larry the Cable guy says.  Just glad it wasn't fiberglass cause I'd liable to still be sliding.

Shayne,

West Marine sells rubber boots with the non-slip soles - keep your feet dry in the snow. But I doubt you'll be seeing snow in El Mirage  ;D

Man  I hope no snow here.  Scared me tho a couple of months back when they got 3 1/2 inches in Carefree about 40 minutes away LOL  After being in charge of Snow removal back home, all those years, I didn't want any more.

Thanks everyone.....think for now I will just keep it washed . And you are right about the boat shoes, at least I had that part right !

Jack.

Shayne,

We are in Grand Junction, CO parked at an RV full hook up site my wife's sister thoughtfully put in for us. We usually stay here for 3 months or so starting in Sep and leaving after Thanksgiving.
Back in NH I sometimes had to climb up on the roof and shovel snow off so it wouldn't collapse.
When I retired I rejoiced that I would not have to do that anymore - so of course a couple of years ago it snowed about 8 inches the night before we we leaving here  for AZ  and there I was - up on the roof of the MH pushing snow off with a push broom. I was not a happy camper! And you talk about slick!! I did that job mostly on my knees to keep from sliding off.

I believe I once read in an insurance article that the highest number of deaths amoung RV'ers (other than natural causes) is falling off roofs, followed by falling off ladders when cleaning windshields,etc.  Had a close friend fall off one of those short ladders at his RV site in Phoenix a couple of years ago while cleaning his windshield getting ready to join us at a rally and smashed his head on concrete - died about 48 hrs later.

My theory now is  if the good Lord puts it up there then he will remove it when his time is appropriate.  I won't try to do it for interfering with his work.  He must have put it there for a reason.

blueblood said:
I believe I once read in an insurance article that the highest number of deaths amoung RV'ers (other than natural causes) is falling off roofs, followed by falling off ladders when cleaning windshields,etc.  Had a close friend fall off one of those short ladders at his RV site in Phoenix a couple of years ago while cleaning his windshield getting ready to join us at a rally and smashed his head on concrete - died about 48 hrs later.

And that is why I don't clean my roof or my windshield ;D ;D

We have found that instead of using wax, we use a product called 303, sold in most auto stores, alot of RV catalogs, picked up ours in QZ. You just wipe on and then wipe off, no rubbing and buffing required and does a great job. I would compare it to Protectall, which alot of the forum people use. 

I have used 303 for over 15 years now.  Only thing I find wrong with it [as with other silicone products] is they attract dust.  I still use it but ordered my first batch of Protect All.

But - as Ron Ruward pointed out to me - never use any of that on a rubber roof.  You will never get caulk to stick afterward.  I am now re caulking the 38 foot Newmar roof and I am glad I headed that advice.  I use a brass grill brush, paint thinner and good rubbing before laying caulk.  I then strip it with a four inch wide band of eather-something tape.  It would never stick after using 303.

Clay, I would be interested in your views of Grand Junction as we are looking to retire there in a couple of years. 8 " of snow ? I hope that is unusual for there !

Thanks,

Jack.

Back
Top Bottom