rookie needing info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gburden1

Hello all, I just bought a 2010 keystone sprinter that is 35ft. i am gonna have to buy a different truck.I will probably only tow it 10-15 times a year on short trips.My question is how much truck am i gonna need?
                                            thanks George

3/4 ton with the longest wheel base you can be comfortable with.

gburden1 said:
Hello all, I just bought a 2010 keystone sprinter that is 35ft. i am gonna have to buy a different truck.I will probably only tow it 10-15 times a year on short trips.My question is how much truck am i gonna need?
                                            thanks George
That is a big unit.  In order to tell what you need in truck, start by giving us the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR).  You can find that number on the trailer DOT plate on the left side wall toward the front. 

I strongly expect that we will find that an F250 is going to be a bit light, to say the least either in Rear Axle capacity or in overall rating.  Anyway, we shall see after that GVWR is determined.

I got the GVWR and it shows 11185 lbs.I would also like to know if a gas engine would do the job or do i need to shop for a diesel.I really appreciate any input that you all could share. I used to tow a car trailer that weighed around 6500 lbs with a Chevy dually with the 5.7  and it struggled sometimes  when trying to pull long hills.
                                                Thanks again , George

gburden1 said:
I got the GVWR and it shows 11185 lbs.I would also like to know if a gas engine would do the job or do i need to shop for a diesel.I really appreciate any input that you all could share. I used to tow a car trailer that weighed around 6500 lbs with a Chevy dually with the 5.7  and it struggled sometimes  when trying to pull long hills.
                                                Thanks again , George
OK, you want a truck with a tow rating about 10% greater than that GVWR.  That would be about 12500 lbs or more.  If you want to tow out in the high altitudes of the Rocky Mountain and Pacific Coast West, and your truck is a gas engined, normally-aspirated (unblown) unit, make that tow rating 20% greater than the GVWR -- about 14,000 lbs or more.  Since diesels are turbocharged, they do not not need the extra headroom and can stick with the low number, east or west.

Diesel?  I would say yes, diesel by all means.  You mention pulling long hills -- that is what diesels do the best.  Big trailer, long hills, and high altitudes spell diesel for sure.  I speak as a lad who pulled his trailers out west with gassers -- small trailers.  I spent a lot of time in 1st gear or places like Donner, Siskyou, and Lookout Passes.  ::)

By the way,  You will probably need a dually.  That 11185-lb GVWR will drop some 20-25% of its weight on the hitch.  That 2300 to 2800 will bear on your truck's rear axle.  The trucks rear axle weight rating (RAWR) should be sufficient to bear it.  A single wheel axle may not.  Check it out.

You can find tow ratings of trucks at their manufactures' web sites and at the Trailer Life website:  http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides.

Thanks for your input Carl. I was kinda leaning toward the dually with a diesel ,but I  just needed to hear it from someone who actually knew.

Thanks again, George

Back
Top Bottom