Room for one more???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OTHG 21s

Hello to all from Central Calif. I have researched alot of your posts from the past and decided maybe I can add a few things in the future. I currently have a 95 Aerbus 32 foot gas model, and have a manly notion that a diesel pusher is the way to go.? The model I have in mind ( as well as my pocketbook!) is a 2001 Winnebago Journey 36 DL. It has a 330 Cat / 6 speed Allison drivetrain.? One question ( the first of many!) is the towing capacity.? I have a 28 foot Mariah boat on a triple axle trailer that weighs about 5800.? Will that motor be sufficient?? How about the length of both?? The boat is 33 feet from the back to the tongue...add the 36 foot coach and I may need a caboose engineer in the back....Any thoughts or other Journey owners comments will be much appreciated.? Thank you and all have a safe Journey!? Greg

Hi Greg and welcome. We have at least one other Journey owner here, although he's currently in transit and may not see your post for a few days. Meanwhile, for an explanation of how to calculate both the weight capacity and the towing capacity, click on the Library button above, then click on RV-related How-to's and finally select the article entitled Weight capacity calculation. The article uses the weights and capacities of my coach as examples, but it also explains how to find the relevant numbers for any coach that can be subtituted in the calculations.

Thanks Tom for the info.  I can see I'll be spending alot of time here!.  Hope I can contribute in the future.  Sincerely Greg

Hi Greg,

Welcome to the RV Forum.

Things to check out regarding towing capabilities are as follows:

1. hitch capabilities.  Some coaches come standard with hitches rated for 3000 lbs, some with hitches rated for 5000 lbs and like ours rated for 10,000 lbs.  These ratings are not hitch weight capacity but for the rated towing weights.  Contact the coach manufacturer for the hitch ratings of your prospective coach.

Glad you have joined us.

Hi Greg,
That engine is sufficient, though since you are being "manly", more is always better.  And check the hitch, as Ron advises.

Are the launching ramps you will use adequate for a motorhome?  They are not forgiving of steep angles, nor are they as maneuverable as a pick-up truck.

I would be concerned about the overall length.  Generally speaking, 65 feet is the max length without special permits. Many states and local areas will have further restrictions, so check the regulations in the areas where you will tow that behemeth. Check for weight limits too.

Greg

I have a  34 foot Journey 2004 model.  It has the 350 CAT which is probably about the same as the 330 in pulling power.  I tow a 22 foot boat which weights around 5000 pounds.  At other times I pull a Tahoe which is in the 6000 pound range.  Either one seems to be fine as far as power is concerned, but I haven't been in the Rockies yet.  The Tahoe is easier to tow from the standpoint of making turns since it tracks the motorhome whereas the boat tends to cut the corners and jump the curbs

As far as the Journey itself is concerned, I am happy with it.  It's my first RV so the comparsion base is small, but I did rent a couple of of times before purchasing and learned that the diesel units drive a lot better than the gas ones. So I support your move to diesel.

Robert

Gary, Robert and all..Thanks for the info.  I get to pickup my new coach on Saturday ( well, new to me ..its a 2001 36 Journey).  I have a welding/ fabrication shop in Fresno so the hitch WILL be strong enough when I get done with it!  I guess I'll have alot of questions to post over in the motorhome category soon enough.  I'll miss going to the delta this year for the fireworks but we plan on getting there in a couple of weeks or so.  Hope everyone has a safe and sane Fourth of July!  Take Care. Greg

OTHG 21s said:
I have a welding/ fabrication shop in Fresno so the hitch WILL be strong enough when I get done with it!

Greg, any chance I could twist your arm to take before and after photos of the hitch - to show folks the kind of things that can be done to beef up their hitch?

Sorry to hear you'll miss the Hilton fireworks. Let us know if you'll be on the delta some time with the Journey

BTW did you see my message listing some of the many Delta RV parks?.

Hi Tom,
  I did see your article on the Delta RV parks. We joined Reynolds Resorts last year with our home bases as Coarsegold, Avila and Delta Bay.  So far things have worked out fine. I golf at the coast when we are there, boat on the Delta and live too close to Coarsegold to use that spot. Being a contractor limits the lead time that you can go camping...More of a spur of the moment thing. I will take some pictures and post them when I do the modifications. We mainly do commercial work here but it's nice to have the equipment to make what I want.  Our tent trailer ended up looking like Mr Gadget got ahold of it. When we got to a campsite things started flying!.  Enjoy the fireworks!  Envious Greg

OTHG 21s said:
our home bases as Coarsegold, Avila and Delta Bay.[

Greg, is that the same place as Delta Bay Club, right next to Spindrift Marina? I haven't been there in a long time, but we considered berthing the boat there at one time. They had the nicest and biggest boat sheds on the delta at that time. Having the adjacent campground was an added bonus. Are you saying their CG is now part of Reynolds Resorts? So it's membership only?

Tom,
That's the same place. Right now it's still public/private. They say in the long run that it will be remodeled and then turn private only. I usually rent a slip across the road at the marina to keep the boat in. Normally I would launch my old boat at the public ramp around the corner from Korth's but now the boat got bigger and may need the ramp at B & W.  This weekend would of been the first time up there with our Mariah but our plans changed.  Hopefully in a few weeks we can make it stick.  Look forward to a raftup soon. Greg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom