Route 20 in Oregon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

I am leaving Spokane at 6 am and headed for South Beach Oregon, likely stopping for tomorrow night near Redmond.

How safe is Route 20 from Redmond to Newport for a big rig MH with a station wagon in tow?  Looks like a few hairpin turns on the map.  Will be checking my topo software tonight, but nothing beats personal experience if any of you out there have it.

Let's hope I am not headed for another Jerome.  :eek:

Don't remember any problems but then we were in a 24-foot Class C. Certainly nothing like your 89A experience.

Smoky,

Glad you asked the question.? We are leaving AZ headed north to Klamath, CA, then up US5 and was considering cutting across to theOregon coast over 20 and had the same concerns that you mentioned.

The answer you got from Wendy eases my mind some.

Good luck on your trip.

:)

Thanks Old Soldier and I will let you know my experience in a couple days.  and thanks Wendy.  It is good to know it is not as bad as 89A !!  :eek: :eek:

Smoky said:
I am leaving Spokane at 6 am and headed for South Beach Oregon, likely stopping for tomorrow night near Redmond.

How safe is Route 20 from Redmond to Newport for a big rig MH with a station wagon in tow?? Looks like a few hairpin turns on the map.? Will be checking my topo software tonight, but nothing beats personal experience if any of you out there have it.

Let's hope I am not headed for another Jerome.? ?:eek:

Been a while since I have done it, but I remember nothing in particular.  That is probably good news.  Mountain Directory has no entries on OR-20 -- that is good news.

hwy 20 from sisters to eugene should be ok. my father in law just took his chev truck with a 23 ft trailer over it last week. he used to have a large class A and i imagine he took that over as well.

if worried hwy 22 to salem would be very easy, and add a little over an hour to the over all time.

the one you CANT take is the makenzie hwy hwy 242 it has a 30 ft limit on overall lenght.

Thanks for more replies.  We are still debating.

Currently we are at the Crown Villa in Bend Oregon.  One of the employees here at the front desk told me she has gone over 20 from Redmon/Bend through 3 sisters in their pickup and they decided they would NEVER take their big 5th wheel.

But some people avoid risk at all cost and miss out on breathtaking scenery.  I did not know how to judge her comments.

Has anyone here on the forum taken a big motorhome with a toad across that stretch of 20?

Since the Trucker atlas does not list it as restricted or having low bridge clearance, and Carl can find no listing in the Mountain Directory, I am leaning towards taking it.  However the Truck Atlas has not highlighted it as a truck route.  that does not necessarily rule it out as I have traveled a lot of roads not highlighted in the Truck Atlas.  It is when the specifically mention it as restricted that I usually worry.

Smoky,

We drove Hwy 20 from Bend through Sisters to I-5 (Harrisburg) and separately drove Hwy 20 from I-5/Harrisburg to Newport last year. At that time we had another forum member asking about it and we didn't see any problems with our coach towing the Suburban.

BTW we also stayed at Crown Villa.

We were in Oregon last October for a family wedding at Suttle Lake just above Sisters on Highway 20 and drove the highway all the way to I-5 when we left.  It's a beautiful drive and was no problem for our 36' motorhome and 4 door Tracker toad.  The only time we might think twice about making that trip would be during a snowstorm.  Enjoy!

Margi

Smoky

A couple of years ago we drove 20 from Newport to Redmond, 40' coach, 16' toad and 4' hitch. No problems that I can remember and I am planning on a similar route next summer.

Smoky said:
Has anyone here on the forum taken a big motorhome with a toad across that stretch of 20?

I have.  No big deal.  Pretty area.  I would do it again.

PhilB

Driving solo (wife temporarily on east coast) , I had very little opportunity to view the sights, as driving was safe but hard work.  In retrospect I would have seen more had I taken one of the other routes.  Also there is a lot of construction currently on 20 and that made the sharp curves somewhat uncomfortable with the concrete barriers on a skinny curvy road.

I would say avoid 20 for the time being until construction is completed.  Also I think the construction has scared away the tree trimmers as there were some overhanging low branches to contend with.

LOL Wendy! 

Aye it was much better than 89A! 

and Sky?  Well, he was pleased that the Admiral was away on the east coast, so he slept the whole time on the floor in front of her chair where she usually rests her feet.  ;D

I run with a crew of two... Sky and Reba (the cat).  Both are useless (asleep) when it comes to running the coach.  But they pop out when we get there and are great friends around the campfire!

Wish Sam would sleep while we're on the road. He can't sit still unless he's on the dash. Only thing he's good for is spotting other dogs and cows. Makes a fine foot warmer, tho.

Made the run yesterday.  Except as already commented about some construction it was not terribly difficult.  Settled at the Camper Corral in Klamath, CA for at least 4 days.  Enjoying it.  Thank to all for their comments about this route.

:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom