Route Planning and highway grades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chas.watson

Hi
New to forums, but have been RV-ing for 5 years.  Wife and I tow a 24' Aljo Lite 5th wheel trailer with a 2000 Toyota Tundra.  The fully loaded rig weighs about 90% of the Tundra's  11,800# gcwr and 95% of the truck's gvwr.  Our towing experience has been excellent, so we recently decided to take it over Monitor Pass from East to West in the California High Sierras.  Prior to departing we checked with the local Forest Ranger about road conditions and and RV suitability and got a green light.  We got over the 8500' pass OK, but on two of the steep hairpin curves the tundra bogged down to 5mph, as the torque converter unlocked and did it's job.  However the experience was somewhat disconcerting and one which we would not like to repeat.

Which brings me to my question.  I was able to find out that the maximun grades on Monitor Pass are 20% by calling Caltrans and talking to someone engineering department.  Since we are now planning a trip to Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyon, I was wondering if anyone knows of a convenient source of information on maximum road grades for various highways and routes?

Charley

Carl L

Moderator Emeritus
Moral of story:  Never, ever trust local yokels, even forest rangers,  for estimation of pass difficulty.  They never have taken an RV over them - especially long motorhome or 5th wheels. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyDigitize
Top Bottom