Route Suggestions: Manteca to Bishop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sheila A

We will be traveling from Manteca, CA to Bishop, CA at the end of November 2019.  Looking for route suggestions for a 33' motorhome with tow car since weather in the Sierra Mtns could make it challenging.

That time of year, Tioga Pass will likely be closed, so hwy 120 will not be a good option (only on rare occasions is it open into December). The alternative will not be pretty - the long way around via Bakersfield, hwy 58 and north on hwy 395.

Yep, Tom is right.  That's the route I would choose.  At that time of year we almost always use the Bakersfield/Tehachapi route.  US 395 intersects with 58 out in the Mojave Desert where you're past the mountains.

ArdraF

Thank you so very much.  I really appreciate it. Looking closer at the map of CA, I had wondered if that would be the best.

ArdraF said:
Yep, Tom is right.  That's the route I would choose.  At that time of year we almost always use the Bakersfield/Tehachapi route.  US 395 intersects with 58 out in the Mojave Desert where you're past the mountains.

ArdraF

It's shorter to go north on CA 14 at Mojave as soon as you get out of the Tehachapi Mtns.  It intersects with 395 west of Ridgecrest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom