Rugby on DTV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I enjoyed a few years of watching rugby (more correctly, rugby union) on Fox Sports World until they dropped coverage of several sports a couple of years ago. I used to watch the six nations (UK/European) teams compete in addition to various club games and competitions. Then, during our summer months, I could watch southern hemisphere club games as their winter season got underway.

Currently, the only way to view rugby on Direct TV is to subscribe to Setanta Sports (channel 615/670), which is a standalone package that can't be traded for unwanted channels. Not wanting to dig that deep into my pocket every month, I've missed watching one of my favorite team sports.

As I type, several teams are on tour playing in the UK and Europe, including Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islanders, Argentina and South Africa. This will be followed by the six nations international games, Heineken Cup tournament and lots of club fixtures. It's too much rugby to miss and I broke down and subscribed, at least for the current season.

If you prefer watching the more barbaric sport of soccer, Setanta has lots of coverage for you also.

A few years ago when the wife and I where guests of Wayne Eizingas(?) at his Hotel in Fort Lauderdale, we came across a Rugy team from Philly.  I thought I was wild and nuts, but I never did, don';t and never will hold a candle stick to those boys.  Wow. They each drank enough for for 30 guys.  One guy was lacking excitment so he landed a hay mker on his buddy and the fight began Hour later they were arm and arm drinking again.  Another Beat his own head against a block wall until he was unconcious and his buddies wouldn't let the paramedics assist him and said  you think that's bad wait till he awakens and finds out you treated him  Oh no you don't want him in the hospital.  Wow  What a bunch.

LOL Shayne. Rugby & soccer players alike can and do put some beer away.

I've watched more rugby in the last couple of weeks than I've been able to watch in the last 3 years. The DVR is working overtime recording the tour games of the southern hemisphere teams, premiership games and numerous club games. I just checked the DTV receiver in the coach and found it was deactivated. A brief phone call to a DTV automated system re-activated the receiver and voilla! I have rugby in the coach! (But I plan to move the DVR to the coach anyway).

So that Paul doesn't feel bad, I've also watched some soccer games. I especially enjoyed the documentaries on soccer legends like Pele and David Beckham. (Yes, he's already a legend although he's still a young guy and happens to be married to one of the Spice Girls.) The only one in their league was George Best, who played for Manchester United before falling for women and booze. He was kicked off numerous teams until he finally moved to the U.S. and played for the San Jose Earthquakes. (A prior boss of mine, himself a prior football pro, bankrolled the Earthquakes for a period of time).

Tom   They say you even have to be a little nuts to enjoy watching Rugby .   Well   What can I say?  My kind of game. Played Football the same way and have the aches, pains and scars to prove it.   Heck I even got hurt playing tennis.   Just like everything else I go for the juggler.

Shayne,

Rugby was a religion when I was growing up in Wales. My Dad used to take me to see the local club games when I was only 6 months old  ;D

Back
Top Bottom