Run furnace while driving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeandJane

Leaving at 5 tomorrow morning, when it should be about -5.  Can I run the furnace while I'm driving to get her warmed up enough for the engine heat to (hopefully) keep it warm?

Just keep an eye on the furnace to make sure it continues to run.  We found that every now and then, particularly when it is windy, it would shut down.  It isn't a major problem, all we did was shut the thermostat off and turn it back on, and we had heat again.
    as you can read between the lines from the above, we too use the furnace until we get far enough south to leave it off.

Ed

Yep, like others we have traveled tens of thousands of miles running the furnace.  My wife used to be paranoid about it but I refuse to be uncomfortable while traveling.  That is the whole point of traveling in a house. ;)

Mike.

Just be careful when you pull in to fuel up at a gas station.  Watch wind direction and fumes from the pumps.  Some people will even turn their frig off before fueling.

I once had an old Southwind and the furnace would always blow out while driving. My last 2 coaches have a built in furnace that uses the hot water from the engine and will run a back heater as well as the front and it gets very warm in the entire coach. Perhaps this is something only Winnebago does and it sure works great.

530ktm said:
I once had an old Southwind and the furnace would always blow out while driving. My last 2 coaches have a built in furnace that uses the hot water from the engine and will run a back heater as well as the front and it gets very warm in the entire coach. Perhaps this is something only Winnebago does and it sure works great.

I read this in my owners manual on my 99.  And my propane seems to last forever, so maybe that's why the propane last so long.  I'm not sure if it's using the furriness/propane or the engine heat when I'm running.  But if I shower right after I stop I've noticed the water is piping hot and I never turned on the water heater.  If I wait a couple of hours after I stop, the water heater needs to be on for about 30 minutes before taking a shower. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom