running air compressor on 5000 watt generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CP

I am thinking of getting a portable air compressor to inflate 19.5" tires on my
2011 Fleetwood Terra class A motorhome.  I have a 5000 watt generator. Can I plug in the air compressor into the MH using the generator to power it up?

Any thought on what type of air compressor?

As usual your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
CP

This is the air compressor we have, and it will run off of a 5000 watt generator.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1.5-gallon-portable-air-compressor-with-hose/p-00915309000P?prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8

Paul

Thanks Paul!

I will look into it.

Chuck

Run a portable Air compressor on a 5KW generator... The generator may not even known it's working the load is that light (Ok, it's not that light)

Run a 5HP SHOP compressor on a 5KW generator.. IN theory possible.

I have a 4 gallon pancake job, Sears, 150 PSI per the label (160 per the gauge) and an Ona 5500 watt and a Xantrex Prosine 2.0 (2,000 watt inverter) the compressor is happy with either power source.. OR shore power, it could care less,  Portables are limited to around 1800 Volt-Amps (Different from watts)  peak draw. (Actually less) that's 15 amps at 120 volts if I did the math right.  I think one HP is what 750 watts.

Thanks John!

Sounds like it is not going to be an issue.
Your new home looks great.

Chuck

Just check the amperage tag on the compressor you are purchasing. (Amps X 120 Volts = Watts) Allow at least 50% extra as starting current draw is higher than running current.  A pancake compressor that draws 10 amps would be 1200 watts, 1800+/- for startup.

Assuming the compressor is designed to plug into a standard 120v, 15 amp, home electrical outlet, sure.  The generator is not in any way a limitation - it's just a matter of the electrical rating of the compressor's power cord and the matching outlet.

My 5000 Onan runs THIS 8 gallon compressor w/little effort. Wherever I may need it, I plug it into the 110 outlet just above the compartment. And if on the road, I crank up the Onan for power. My rig and bicycle tires need 80 psi. It takes a bit longer to do the rig tires  :)

It came in a box with instructions on how to mount the handle and wheels. So I just left them off allowing it to just fit in this compartment. The hose you see will reach all the tires. I got this at Harbor Freight in Austin, TX. I had purchased a smaller unit that was on sale for $89 that day that didn't work - so when I returned it, they gave me this one for the same price. The smaller unit was one of those with 2 tanks that are popular with contractors at job sites.

Attachments

• MyCompressor.jpg
    MyCompressor.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 30
Thanks everyone for your help!
Chuck

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member