running air conditioners while on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jl3922

Hello Is it okay to run the generater and air conditioners while driving down the highway? Our 2005 Monaco cab air conditioner is less then cool> Jim

Many, many RVers do so!!! In fact they highly recommend doing so for those reasons....

Thank you all for the prompt reply,The trip tomorrow to the shore will be a little more comfortable. Jim

jl3922 said:
Hello Is it okay to run the generater and air conditioners while driving down the highway? Our 2005 Monaco cab air conditioner is less then cool> Jim

I would hook up a set of freon manifold gauges and check the hi/lo pressures and see what's going on. If the compressor is cycling then your low on freon. Average vent temperature should be about 35-38*F, lo pressure typically about 35-40 PSI and hi side should be about 210-270 PSI. This can vary a bit over climate and outside temperature.

Here is an exercise for you... Take a look at say a Ford F-350. straight truck, or even a picvk up (or any truck in that size class)

Your cockpit (Dash) air conditioner is designed to cool the cab of that truck.

Now take a look at your motor home  Compare the amount of windshield you have (Greenhouse effect)  Compare the amount of cabin you have.

NO way this side of January that dash A/C can keep the Motor home cool.

Turn the chassi air off and jsut run the vent.  Use the gen and coach air and you may actualy save gas sometimes.  This also takes load of the engine and free it up for climbing hills. 

I have a tongue pull toy hauler and I've even run my generator and a/c while towing it knowing when I got where I was going it would be hot.

Until it gets unbearably hot, we use a spring loaded shower rod with a cotton curtain and install between the two slides behind the driver's compartment.  It keeps the dash air up front and makes it comfortable without having to use the generator.  Call me cheap or frugal, your choice.

kenb1023 said:
Turn the chassi air off and jsut run the vent.  Use the gen and coach air and you may actualy save gas sometimes.  This also takes load of the engine and free it up for climbing hills.

That's a great idea! Presumably the BTU's of the unit should more than adequately cool off the living space and the (small) cab space in my Class C.

Since there was only two of us driving back to PHX from Cali last month, we just hung a couple of sheets down from the cab over bunk to just cool the cab with the chassis A/C.

Mylo

Back
Top Bottom