RV BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blues Driver said:
I'm shopping for a gas BBQ for steaks, burgers etc and to cook bacon in a cast iron skillet The Weber Q1000 gets some complaints of inadequate heat. Your thoughts? Other concerns?  Does it come with a regulator?  I would like to use small propane canisters to begin with then will probably install a hose to the RV tank. I don't want to lug around the 5lb bottles.
Thanks,
Pat
I have the Q1000 going on 5 years. It cooks everything we put on it. Bacon, steak, sausage, pork, chicken, fish etc. Never a problem.

OK. I ordered the Q1000. Next is the Extend a Stay and hose. If heating the iron skillet a little slowly is the worst problem it's all good.

Thanks to all who responded.
Pat

I'm also finding rv grill for my rv. And I refer some information in here: https://vogeltalksrving.com/best-rv-grills/#more-973 . But I am wondering between Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal and Q1200 Liquid Propane Grill. Do you have any advice for me about these? Thanks a lot!

Here's my recent experience with a Weber Q2200 propane grill. So far, I'm pleased with it, but will leave it at our summer location and keep the lighter Weber go-anywhere grill on the coach. Hope this helps a little with your decision.

Emma21 said:
I'm also finding rv grill for my rv. And I refer some information in here: https://vogeltalksrving.com/best-rv-grills/#more-973 . But I am wondering between Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal and Q1200 Liquid Propane Grill. Do you have any advice for me about these? Thanks a lot!

It?s going to be whatever you prefer. My DW and I don?t like the taste that charcoal leaves on the meat so we won?t use charcoal. We usually always camp where electricity is provided so we use a electric grill made by Webber.

I don?t like the taste briquettes leave but pure lump charcoal is fine by me.
I find too many propane grills simply don?t get hot enough for some cooking though I do use them.

LOL, John. I think the term "BBQ" has long since transcended its origins and now simply means "hot thing for outdoor cooking".
Not in the South it does not. From the Carolinas to Texas BBQ means low heat, lots of smoke and long cook. Lots of bark on it, a good rub and a good smoke ring!! If these terms sound foreign to you then you are a “Griller”. Meats can be pork, beef, sausage or chicken. Sauces vary from NC vinegar-pepper, SC Mustard sauce, tomato based sauces, Memphis sauce, etc.

Timely resurrection of an old thread...

I'm actually looking at replacing our Weber Q1000 that we've had since 2019. I'm not a fan.
It starts hard, and seems to go out with the slightest breeze.
The temperature control is mostly useless except for the bottom quarter, which ranges between 'keep frozen' and 'torch'.
When the lid gets hot enough, accumulated grease drips off the edges onto the table/surface where you are cooking. Even with regular cleanings. It's just not a great lid design, with a lot of overhang.
Experience has proven I'd rather have something that doesn't need a table to be used. Weber makes one that folds out and supports itself and can be wheeled around.

We've had great luck with other Weber products (we have a 16 year-old Genesis grill at home, still works fantastic!), so I'm going to chalk this up the Q1000 to just being a basic/entry design.

Timely resurrection of an old thread...

I'm actually looking at replacing our Weber Q1000 that we've had since 2019. I'm not a fan.
It starts hard, and seems to go out with the slightest breeze.
The temperature control is mostly useless except for the bottom quarter, which ranges between 'keep frozen' and 'torch'.
When the lid gets hot enough, accumulated grease drips off the edges onto the table/surface where you are cooking. Even with regular cleanings. It's just not a great lid design, with a lot of overhang.
Experience has proven I'd rather have something that doesn't need a table to be used. Weber makes one that folds out and supports itself and can be wheeled around.

We've had great luck with other Weber products (we have a 16 year-old Genesis grill at home, still works fantastic!), so I'm going to chalk this up the Q1000 to just being a basic/entry design.

Thank you for this. I had been considering ditching my Coleman Road Trip for something smaller and was looking at the Q1000. Seems like you have many of the same complaints I already have about the Coleman, so I wouldn't really gain anything.

I've had good grilling results with the Charbroil Tru-Infrared models and their tabletop Grill2Go model does well for a small grill. It's only a 9500 btu burner but the btus seem adequate for the small area is has to heat (it's designed to cook for 1-2 people). It uses the 1 lb LP bottles, so has a built-in regulator. I mostly run mine off a 10 lb tank using an adapter hose, but it's handy to use the small bottles when I carry it around or the big tank runs dry.
The main complaint with the Tru-Infrared system is that the small slots in the grate need to be kept open to get the infrared effect. BBQ sauces and such can plug them up in a single meal, so cleaning the slots with a suitable tool is important.

I've had good grilling results with the Charbroil Tru-Infrared models and their tabletop Grill2Go model does well for a small grill. It's only a 9500 btu burner but the btus seem adequate for the small area is has to heat (it's designed to cook for 1-2 people). It uses the 1 lb LP bottles, so has a built-in regulator. I mostly run mine off a 10 lb tank using an adapter hose, but it's handy to use the small bottles when I carry it around or the big tank runs dry.
That's the one we have and it was $89 Steve thinks. It has lasted us pretty well although doesn't like the wind. We had an issue with the regulator but they replaced it.

Thank you for this. I had been considering ditching my Coleman Road Trip for something smaller and was looking at the Q1000. Seems like you have many of the same complaints I already have about the Coleman, so I wouldn't really gain anything.

Likewise! The Coleman Road Trip was on my list to check out. Sounds like roughly the same thing I've got, but with a stand and wheels! 🤣

Likewise! The Coleman Road Trip was on my list to check out. Sounds like roughly the same thing I've got, but with a stand and wheels! 🤣

Don't get me wrong, I love the Road Trip. My major reasons for getting rid of it are its old (I've had it better than 10 years and we bought it used at a yard sale) and starting to rust out, and since I now travel alone, I don't need as large a grille. If my wife was still alive, I would probably replace it with another, and I still might.

I've been happy with my Road Trip for over 15 years now.
Like I said, my wife bought ours for $40 at a yard sale. It had not received the best of care in it's former life, but still has served us well for the 10 years we've had it. Unfortunately, it's nearing the end of it's useful life, although the rib eye I cooked last night was quite good.
I had been looking at the Weber as a replacement, but I've also been looking at the small Traeger. One of my hosts has one and the trout he did on that thing last season were awesome. The near $500 price tag is a bit hard to swallow, though.

Back
Top Bottom