RV campgrounds between El Paso and San Antonio, TX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frankaman

I am in Las Cruces, NM headed to San Antonio.  Too long for one shot, anybody know of campgrounds between say El Paso and San Antonio?

Lots, but you have to look for them :)  Saddleback Mountain RV Park in Balmorhea is one of our favorites, several in Fort Stockton, Ozona, and Sonora and Junction.  Buckhorn Lake RV Resort in Kerrville is very nice, but expensive.  You can see many of them from the interstate.

Comanche Land RV Park, Fort Stockton, I stayed there a couple times last spring, easy on and off I10 , no frills.
Think it was about 16$ for full hook ups, flat gravel, all pull thrus. It also has giant arrows stuck into the ground, hehe.

We like to get off the interstate at Van Horn and travel US 90.  Much more scenic than I-10 and almost as fast.  Plenty of parks in Alpine, Marathon, Sanderson, and Del Rio.  If you take this route, be sure to stop in Langtree and visit the Judge Roy Bean rest area.

The last two years while in Texas we have stayed here in Del Rio  http://www.americancampground.net/.  Nothing fancy, but reasonably priced and friendly people.

Paul

Good tip on US 90, Larry.  When we drove that route a number of years ago we easily found campgrounds and they were mostly empty and inexpensive.

Alpine Texas is a great stop for a change in pace. Get in town and have supper early, then out to see the Marfa lights. May not be out when you are there but more than likely there will be a couple hundred other new friends to meet out there as well.

Lost Alaskan Campground is a real treasure.

I'm sure the Van Horn KOA has probably changed hands but, many years ago, the owners put in a dial up line just for RVer's because we asked if that might be possible. Wish I could remember their names as they were really nice. Normally, we do not stay at a KOA but this one, at the time, was really nice.

We've tried to see the Marfa lights every time we've been over there in the last 10 years and never saw anything except car lights coming over on the highway between Presidio and Marfa.  Maybe next time ;D

Ned said:
Lots, but you have to look for them :)  Saddleback Mountain RV Park in Balmorhea is one of our favorites, several in Fort Stockton, Ozona, and Sonora and Junction.  Buckhorn Lake RV Resort in Kerrville is very nice, but expensive.  You can see many of them from the interstate.

We have stayed at Saddleback Mountain Rv Park several times over the years FHUs & only $ 10 per night if you are Passport America members. If we are going to be therefor a few days we always stay at Balmorhea State Park its only about 6 miles off I 10 a very large swimming pool & the San Salmon springs come up in the middle of the pool

Jim Dick said:
I'm sure the Van Horn KOA has probably changed hands but, many years ago, the owners put in a dial up line just for RVer's because we asked if that might be possible. Wish I could remember their names as they were really nice. Normally, we do not stay at a KOA but this one, at the time, was really nice.
We stayed at the Van Horn KOA in January. The people running the campground were very nice, it was clean, level, and dog friendly, They also have a small cafe if you don't want to cook! We had dinner with homemade cobbler.

Back
Top Bottom