RV campgrounds near Jackson’s Hole,Mt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottro

Anyone have suggestions for campgrounds they enjoy in Jackson Hole,Wy. area. We’re heading that way in early June. Thanks in advance!

I think the Virginian is closed. Kudars may be getting renovated this year.

You can stay in the park at Coulter Bay or Gros Ventre. You have to reserve online.

I don't know which route you are taking to get there, or how long you plan to stay, but when we were in the area in 2017 we stayed at Longhorn RV ranch in Dubois, attached is a photo of our back in site on the river.

Attachments

• longhorn-rv-wy.jpg
    longhorn-rv-wy.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 2
Come to Cody where the rates are a fraction of Jackson, the traffic is non-existent by comparison and the people are nicer and don't treat you like you are an inconvenience. Oh... and we have a far better rodeo.

Thanks Foto-n-T!
I would love to come to Cody! Maybe we can swing back through there after coming down from Montana. We’re coming out from Florida going to Colorado, Utah then up into Wyoming and Montana then heading back east. Maybe after leaving Glacier Park area we could head down more through the center of Wyoming into Cody. Our next major planned stop, after Glacier Park is Mount Rushmore. I went to Sheridan(to go to Kong Ropes) 30 years ago. Would you say it is worth it now or better to go to Cody?

I think the Virginian is closed. Kudars may be getting renovated this year.
The links that I posted are to those park's websites where they are accepting reservations for the summer of 2022?
Maybe after leaving Glacier Park area we could head down more through the center of Wyoming into Cody. Our next major planned stop, after Glacier Park is Mount Rushmore.
If you have the time that could make for some interesting and scenic areas but realize that routing that way will increase the distance from Glacier NP to Mt. Rushmore by more than 100 miles. Cody is a very interesting area and the Buffalo Bill Museum there is not to be missed. You could also travel through the Bighorn Mountains that way with is an area of WY that was one of our favorites when we lived in WY.

Thanks Kirk for the update on the campgrounds and for the info on Cody. Do you know much about the Sheridan area of Wyoming?

Do you know much about the Sheridan area of Wyoming?
Most of my knowledge of the state as a whole is dated as we moved to TX back in 1989, after living in Cheyenne and traveling the state in my job for 18 years. We do still visit from time to time and were in WY last summer but have not been in the Sheridan area for at least 10 years. I use internet sources to refresh and update what I remember in many cases. If you leave Yellowstone NP via the east gate it will make access to Cody pretty easy but if from Glacier it will be a bit out of the way, but worth the trip if time allows. If you travel from Cody to Sheridan the route suggested is via US14 which is very mountainous but OK for an experienced mountain driver. If you are bothered by mountain driving then I would suggest that you take US20 to Worland and US16 to Buffalo as that is also scenic but through much lower and less challenging mountains. Sheridan is one of our favorite parts of WY and Buffalo is not that far behind. Cody is at about 5000', Buffalo at 4600' and Sheridan is at 3700', which means that your route from Cody directly to Sheridan has a major climb and then even more decent, so be aware of that as you plan. I suggest that you take some time and look over the Sheridan tourist information and also the Buffalo tourist information as part of your planning. Once you do that feel free to post any questions and I'll do my best to answer or to find a source if I do not know the answer.

Thanks Foto-n-T!
I would love to come to Cody! Maybe we can swing back through there after coming down from Montana. We’re coming out from Florida going to Colorado, Utah then up into Wyoming and Montana then heading back east. Maybe after leaving Glacier Park area we could head down more through the center of Wyoming into Cody. Our next major planned stop, after Glacier Park is Mount Rushmore. I went to Sheridan(to go to Kong Ropes) 30 years ago. Would you say it is worth it now or better to go to Cody?
We went to King Ropes store last year, it was interesting and I'm sure there are other things to do in Sheridan but we didn't explore too much. I prefer Buffalo to Sheridan simply because it's a small(er) town and has an excellent Mexican joint run by a family there, Papa Bino's. Be prepared to be seated by a 5 or 6 year old, the whole family works there.

We went to King Ropes store last year, it was interesting and I'm sure there are other things to do in Sheridan but we didn't explore too much. I prefer Buffalo to Sheridan simply because it's a small(er) town and has an excellent Mexican joint run by a family there, Papa Bino's. Be prepared to be seated
Also, any nice RV campground areas you would suggest in or near Cody?

a 5 or 6 year old, the whole family works there.
Not sure how I managed to quote myself & Scottro at the same time, oh well.

Regarding campgrounds,there are numerous choices.

The Ponderosa is probably the most centrally located and is within walking distance of the museum & downtown. It is also probably the most expensive (but still cheaper than Jackson).

Absoroka Bay RV park might be the least spendy and is also very nice and very popular but you'll have a decent hike to get to downtown, maybe a mile and a half.

The Trout Ranch RV park (not exactly sure of the name since it just sold) is located several miles outside of town towards Powell. There is also a new RV park just across the river north of town.

We also have numerous forest service campgrounds between Cody & the park (Yellowstone) but they mostly require a reservation with the government for sites with hookups. We also have Buffalo Bill State Park just east of town on the reservoir. It's a nice park but if you are here in the early season the winds up there can be horrendous.

For the most part our RV parks are all very nice and they are also VERY busy during the summer. Showing up in Cody without reservations after mid June is NOT a good idea so plan ahead as best you can. So there you have all the meager knowledge I store in my brain. If you're going to come to Cody I suggest planning on at least two full days to take in the sights and more if you can pull it off.

The links that I posted are to those park's websites where they are accepting reservations for the summer of 2022?

If you have the time that could make for some interesting and scenic areas but realize that routing that way will increase the distance from Glacier NP to Mt. Rushmore by more than 100 miles. Cody is a very interesting area and the Buffalo Bill Museum there is not to be missed. You could also travel through the Bighorn Mountains that way with is an area of WY that was one of our favorites when we lived in WY.
Apologies Kirk. Last I heard the Virginian had been sold and the RV Park was going to be used for another purpose. The motel had renovation info on its website last time I looked.

Good to hear they are both now open.

There are several forest campgrounds on the outskirts of the park and on the road to Alpine which were first come. Depending on the size of your rig and time of year those are also an option.

Some people camp on the Idaho side of the mountains and drive over the pass.

There is a campground at Flagg Ranch too plus sites up Grassy Lake Road.

Depending on your style of camping, hopefully you get something.

Thanks Jackiemac!
I’ve noticed some of the campgrounds won’t take reservations until March 1st and some others don’t take call ins until May1st. Regardless thanks

I’ve noticed some of the campgrounds won’t take reservations until March 1st and some others don’t take call ins until May1st.
That is usually because there isn't anyone there once they close for the winter. Many of the owners also have a park somewhere in snowbird country or manage one. Others just take the winter off as a long vacation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom