RV choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul Spr

It is about 6 months before my wife and I go full time. Just curious of your experiences on which rig might be best. I know it is more of a preference on which we actually choose.. Just wanted some input on durability verses features. We would be work camping / volunteering so we would be parked for extended periods. We have a car to tow.. probably need to keep because of the depreciation hit we have taken.
Any feedback would be very helpful.

I'm guessing you want a motorhome. If you are fulltiming, it pays to get a better finished rig. By that I mean one with a better grade of cabinetry, wall & floor covering, upholstery, etc.  Long term maintainability will also be important, meaning construction details like labeled wiring harnesses, access panels for plumbing,water shutoff valves, etc. All that leads toward a higher priced unit, probably a diesel pusher since they are more likley to have the better stuff.  I'd be looking for a used higher-end unit to keep the price rationale but still get good stuff.

Durability versus features isn't really something to worry about. How durable a unit is will be totally dependent on how you treat it and how well you maintain it. Even the cheapest RV will last a long time if properly taken care of. If you spend a lot of time driving off road with it and never do maintenance on it then no RV will last long.

If you are going to be parked for long periods of time then a fifth wheel is your best bet. Motorized RVs don't like to sit for extended periods of time. Seals dry out, rubber dries out and that is not good. You could also get a travel trailer but I think you would like a fiver better. Go to the largest RV dealer in your area, don't take your checkbook, and look at as many different RVs as you can to start getting an idea on what you like.

Thanks for the info. Had thought about a 5er but we just bought a Kia Forte 2 yrs ago and the depreciation is ridiculous.  Wouldn't want to take a bath in it and then turn around and do it again with a tow vehicle .
That's why I was kinda leaning to a class a.

Paul Spr said:
Thanks for the info. Had thought about a 5er but we just bought a Kia Forte 2 yrs ago and the depreciation is ridiculous.  Wouldn't want to take a bath in it and then turn around and do it again with a tow vehicle .
If you are going to be parked for extended periods of time then your wife could drive the Kia and follow you.

Paul Spr said:

Wait until you see the depreciation hit on a Class A.  You could buy a few Fortes.  ;)  (unless you buy older, and this is fine, just do your homework and have it professionally inspected)

I have already been pricing trailers to tow the car. I would rather have the car on a trailer verses a dolly.

My wife doesn't like to drive because of poor sight.
So I do the driving anyways.

We are definitely looking at gently used Rv's
And yes it will be inspected. We have an Rv repair shop locally and I have already been in touch with them.
Thank you all for the input.
I appreciate the information.

Paul Spr said:
I have already been pricing trailers to tow the car. I would rather have the car on a trailer verses a dolly.
Not a good idea. Your best bet is flat towing -- using just a tow bar. Otherwise, you'll always need a pull-through campsite unless you plan on unhooking the trailer at EVERY stop. PITA. Plus, you'll most likely need extra room to store that trailer.

Paul Spr said:
We are definitely looking at gently used Rv's
Nobody asked . . . how much can you spend on your "gently used" Class A?

I totally agree with Gary, I'd rather have a 15 year old high end coach than a 2 year old middle of the line coach. I have seen 20 year old Prevost coaches that have been well kept for less than 100K. Lots of storage and fully equipped for full timing even without a slide. The storage under those things is amazing and the valves, wiring, breaker boxes is so professionally done and I hear they drive like a big ole Cadillac but, you are the one who knows what you can afford.

Lots of good advice here ... don?t be afraid of used ... maintenance is very important ... here?s another quality to look for.  Look at the finishes ... are the finishes more residential or recreational?  Do you want a ceramic toilet or a plastic one?  Ceramic will clean up and wear longer with proper care than a plastic one.  Look at your alternatives through this lens and think long term.  Think Residential vehicle vs. Recreational vehicle ... many finishes will meet the needs of a one or two season traveler.  We travel all four seasons and this is our residence ... I want to have more enduring finishes ... we have a washer and dryer ... a ceramic toilet ... you have to decide for yourself ...

One of my oft-repeated mantras is "Forget your vehicle mentality (low miles and years) and think like you are buying a house".  Condition is far more important than age, and suitability for your living needs is far more important than a big engine. Think of the chassis & powertrain as a major appliance, one that deserves attention and needs to be satisfactory, but still only one piece of the whole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom