RV Covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MariahAZ

Hi All,

Sometime, not too long ago in the forum, I read that someone suggested Walmart has a good RV cover.  In checking their site, I see they have two styles available.  The more expensive one has been out of stock in the size we need for weeks and I'm wondering if the less expensive one is adequate.  If whoever suggested Walmart reads this post, maybe they could tell me which one they had purchased.  There is absolutely nothing available in our area, and being in the AZ sun I want to get our mh covered.  Because we have it parked at the house I would like access to either the drivers side door or the main entrance.  Would the material that the Walmart cover is made of be alright to cut and then use velcro closures for an opening?  It seems as a new owner I have endless questions.  Thank you for all your assistance. 
Mariah AZ  :)

Mariah

There are many other sources for RV covers, Camping World (in Mesa) is one and the internet can supply many others. Many of us here will not use covers because they are so difficult to put on and take off and can scratch the RV when the wind flaps. How long of a period do you go between using the RV? We are in AZ and sold our cover that we bought with our first coach without ever using it.

Personally I suggest avoiding Wal-Mart due to their treatment of their workers and the way many of their suppliers treat their workers.

And I do "practice what I preach" when it comes to wal-mart

That said, I've heard that one should not use a cover unless it is a very good fit.  An excelent fit in fact.  OR. the rig and cover are kept very very clean (inside on the cover, outside on the rig) else any dirt that gets between the cover and the rig will be ground into the finish on the rig when the wind blows and causes slight movement of the cover.

I suspect a good wash and wax wouldd be better than the cover

Personally I suggest avoiding Wal-Mart due to their treatment of their workers and the way many of their suppliers treat their workers.

I prefer Wal-Mart. I disagree with you statement based on personal knowledge but this is not the place to discuss this so I will drop it here. 

I was once contplating using a cover but fortunately another RVer that had experienced using one cautioned me against it and showed me damage one had done to his coach finish in a couple areas.  Based on what I saw I never used one and DO NOT recommend using a cover.

Thanks to each of you for your input.? I was under the impression that living in Arizona made it vital to have a cover because of all the sunshine. Having read your responses I guess I need to rethink this matter.? I was particularly interested in Bernie's reply because of their locale in AZ. (We are in Dewey) We bought the Dutchstar used out of OK and though it's 10 years old the outside is in excellent condition (the inside looks like noone ever stayed in it) and I would love to have it stay that way.? Because hubby is not yet retired it is not going to get much use for another year except for weekend jaunts.? We haven't taken our shakedown cruise yet but are planning to do that in the next couple of weeks.? We do have one little pin striping decal that has a couple of bare spots (apparently it came loose and was torn off) but being the creative person I am, ;)I'm not worried about that.? I'll get out the whip this week-end and we'll do some washing and waxing? (Hahahaha) while we rethink this.? Thanks again.

Mariah,
If you are in an area that gets sand storms, I might reconsider the cover. Several years ago, we had a company airplane on the ramp at Sky Harbor for a few days. We had a cover that went over the windshield and cockpit area to protect it from the heat. While we were on the hotel,  a sandstorm came up and the grit got under the cover. Scratched up the paint and the windshield pretty badly. We never used the cover there after that...paid for a hangar instead.

do the above recommendations to "not use a cover" apply to just the hot-weather states?  i'm in michigan and was just about to pull the trigger at sam's club.com on a 37-40' cover for my class a.....

what other alternatives do i have for my rv to survive the snow & ice that's right around the corner.....i don't have another option as far as parking it under a roof...

Personally I would NOT recommend using a cover over the motorhome or trailer at any time.  Wind blow a bit and your subject to chaffing between the cover and paint.  Good polish job is the best thing IMHO.

Glad? I read this post.? We were about to spring for a cover since recently putting our RV in storage (outside storage).? How do you all feel about tire covers?

CJ

I have been advised by an individual that has been in the tire business for years that tire covers that touch the tire do more harm than good.  Tire covers that do not touch the tire and allow ventilation do offer some protection.  However, tire life is 5 to 7 years, if the tires are in use, rig not parked for 6 months at a time, tire covers are not really cost effective.

I don't understand why tire covers in contact with the tire would cause any harm.  Did your friend offer any reasons for this?  Spare tires in contact with structure, as in a car trunk, or mounted on the back of a rig with a cover do not appear to deteriorate more rapidly than exposed tires and based on my experience, less so. Unless the cover retains some form of contaminate already on the tire, I don't believe the cover would cause harm. 
Jake

Jake

Tires need to breathe. Covers that are touch the tires block this breathing capability and prevent the chemicals in the tires from doing their things. Can't compare to you spare tire, it is made differently, has a different use and a different life span. I agree with someone else's comments, unless you are parked for a very long time, covers are not that helpful since the tire will still age out (5-7 year life from manufacture to disposal) before they wear out.

Bernie,
The spare tire on every vehicle I have owned including my TT are identical to the tires on the ground.  They are not made differently.  And by using the spare tire in a rotation plan, I don't end up with "old" spares.  But I would agree that a tire cover isn't going to make a significant difference, pro or con, in the life of a tire. :)
Jake

Back
Top Bottom