RV Dealers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MisterST

Hello all , New to the forum, Great Place Here . Still learning more every day, Been Rving on and off for 20 years. Last RV is a 92 Cardinal by Cobra 30 ft 5th wheel .Thinking of buying a new MH from out of state ( Az ) I live in NY I would like to order from the factory here's the problem I think I have a good deal going but an this is a big BUT is it normal for a dealer to request a $5,000 deposit. First time every dealing out state is there any thing I should be aware of ????? Thanks

I just bought a new one from a dealer and they requested a deposit. I would think it's typical so they know you're serious and aren't just putting in an order to give them something to do, then cancel out on them later on or not come back for it. Then they're stuck with the expense of making it and then selling a (maybe customized) unit. That may not be all of it, but I'm sure it's a large part of it. Are you getting some customizations done also? That's another big reason for a deposit.
Same when you buy a new vehicle or other expensive household item, isn't it?

Thanks blsmith25, No customizations , I have ordered many new vehicle with only $100 ( $35,000 vehicles ) deposit just thought its was a little high $5000 for 150,000 MH than again I never ordered a MH . Thanks Again Steve

We've only ordered one rig new through a dealer, but a deposit is certainly expected.  I thing we put about $3000 down for the order, but that was in 2001.  With today's economic uncertainty, I would expect deposits to be much higher.  Car dealers can always sell a car, but motorhomes are a much lower volume market. And a prospective buyer might just decide to order his own rather than to take your reject, which means the dealer would have to offer a discount as an incentive to buy.

MisterST said:
Thinking of buying a new MH from out of state ( Az ) I live in NY I would like to order from the factory here's the problem I think I have a good deal going but an this is a big BUT is it normal for a dealer to request a $5,000 deposit. First time every dealing out state is there any thing I should be aware of ????? Thanks

A few years ago, I ordered a highly customized coach, including a special chassis configuration. A sizable donw payment was required which I paid with a credit card. When the coach was delivered, 2 months past the promised date, the option list was fairly different from what I had ordered, the radiator was leaking fluid and the delivery person required at least $10,000 more for the coach. I sent him and the coach packing and filed a claim with my credit card company. I got a full refund of the down payment from them.

If your cards' credit limit can handle it, I wouldn't use anything else for the down payment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom