RV decision debacle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can anyone recommend some bumper pulls that are seriously off road capable and true four season that are not decked out like the Taj Mahal and cost a mint? We are planning to do some traveling once we hit retirement (hopefully in the near future.) I'm looking for something that focuses more on ergonomics and durability and less on mahogany toilet seats and backlit LED toilet bowls (although backlit toilet bowl may be a good feature at 0200. :) ) Other issue is I'm 6'2". (No pop outs, etc. either, extra space would be nice but worried about leaks, maint., and set up.) Wife and I like to get out and do things like canoeing, kayaking, hiking, fossil hunting, and other activities (I scuba and metal detect) but want something hard-sided and climate controlled to spend the night in. We don't plan on a lot of extreme weather boondocking but would like the peace of mind to not worry about getting caught in something and not be prepared. Too, last winter got me thinking about the RV as a potential emergency shelter (TX USA). I'm at the point that building my own is starting to sound like a good idea (and I know it really isn't.) When I look at some of the popular contemporary designs I see a lot of wasted space with built in specialty fixtures and less regard for serviceability.

Any ideas?

Can anyone recommend some bumper pulls that are seriously off road capable and true four season that are not decked out like the Taj Mahal and cost a mint? We are planning to do some traveling once we hit retirement (hopefully in the near future.) I'm looking for something that focuses more on ergonomics and durability and less on mahogany toilet seats and backlit LED toilet bowls (although backlit toilet bowl may be a good feature at 0200. :) ) Other issue is I'm 6'2". (No pop outs, etc. either, extra space would be nice but worried about leaks, maint., and set up.) Wife and I like to get out and do things like canoeing, kayaking, hiking, fossil hunting, and other activities (I scuba and metal detect) but want something hard-sided and climate controlled to spend the night in. We don't plan on a lot of extreme weather boondocking but would like the peace of mind to not worry about getting caught in something and not be prepared. Too, last winter got me thinking about the RV as a potential emergency shelter (TX USA). I'm at the point that building my own is starting to sound like a good idea (and I know it really isn't.) When I look at some of the popular contemporary designs I see a lot of wasted space with built in specialty fixtures and less regard for serviceability.

Any ideas?
we are more than happy with our Outdoors RV 24RKS, they are made for 4 season and off road quite well.
you can pick one up for around $40,000

also check out Arctic fox, the sister company.

Outdoors RV has a few models that have higher clearance and no slides. Quality products. None of them will be suitable for rock climbing type 4 WD, but they can handle rough roads. You might want to check out the fiberglass “egg” campers too. Casita, Scamp, Big Foot, and some others are sturdy and pretty energy efficient. I am unaware if any are high clearance though.

Sorry, the day job keeps getting in the way.

Practical and compact is the term I was searching for. Saw a toy hauler that had a RR/shower and partial kitchen that got my interest but they stopped building them during the plague. But add a murphy bed and a few other things for boondock and that would fill the bill.

I've also been looking at Black Series as well as Oliver and Xplore (and a few others). They each have features I like but have more creature comforts than I want to pay for. Already coming to grips that any camper, regardless of size doesn't have near enough space. I do have a bed cover on my modestly lifted Dodge 2500 diesel double cab to carry extra gear. (If I can't take the kayaks, dive gear and other toys there's no point in going. :) )

Watching youtube videos, I was blow away by the suspension on the Blacks, Bruder and a few other Assie models. Our friends down under really know how to off road (makes me want to go travel there a few years.)

Back
Top Bottom