RV Deep Cycle Battery Information help needed!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nhcamper2006

Hi I am a newbie to this forum. I just need a question answered about a battery.  We bought a new 2005 Keystone Travel Trailer this past summer and we were told to take the battery home when closing up for the season.  We put it in our storage area and forgot about it.  My question is will the battery be dead when we try to use it in May.  It has been sitting there right now from Oct to Jan.  My husband brought it to work..he works for a car dealership to see if it was dead or holding a charge.  They said it didnt, but my husband would like to know about the deep cycle, and what are the cold cranking amps.  If anyone has any answers or could help I would apprieciate it.  One more question does the battery have to be on some kind of battery charger while it sits idol off season. Thanks for all your help.

They need to be kept off the cement floor, and a trickle charger be use to keep the charge up when they are in storage as when fully charged, batteries tend to be less effected by the cold as an uncharged one. Just make sure the battery charger is one made specifically for deep cycle batteries as they need to be charged at a slower rate than regular vehicle batteries so they can develop their full capacity. Last Dec, my battery died the month the dealer had my trailer for a leak in a slide out. I don't know if it was because it sat for awhile, or if the repair guys used heck out of it without hooking to shore power. Had to get my truck in position to plug the trailer in just to get enough power to raise the trailer to get it on my FW hitch. Once hooked to my truck though, it charged right back up and was fine.

Larry

Harbor Frieght has a small trickle charger for about $9 that won't over charge your battery.  I have 3 of them and keep them hooked up to both of my  ATVs and one on the TT battery when not used for a time.

I read somewhere that it doesn't damage a battery to let it set on concrete.  But I never do, I set mine on a board.  I would like to know if the sitting on concrete loss is a urban legend or if there is any truth to it.

Jake said:
I read somewhere that it doesn't damage a battery to let it set on concrete.? But I never do, I set mine on a board.? I would like to know if the sitting on concrete loss is a urban legend or if there is any truth to it.

It IS a myth.  Setting a battery on concrete does no harm to the battery.  However, the concrete can be damaged if the battery setting on the concrete leaks and is not cleaned up in a reasonable length of time.  It makes no difference to the battery whether it is set on concrete, wood, or a bench the static discharge rate will be the same and if left long enough the battery will loose its charge.  To what degree it becomes discharged is dependent on battery condition and length of time it sets without any charge.  Temperatue also has an effect on the battery.

They said it didnt, but my husband would like to know about the deep cycle, and what are the cold cranking amps.

A CCA rating does not mean anything with a deep cycle battery, you are not cranking with it -- at least not well. Starting batteries have many thin plates to give a burst of current to turn an engine for a few seconds. ? ? Deep cycle batteries have a few thick plates to provide a long slow deep discharge rate to operate equipment and light over a period of hours. ?The desirable rating with them is Amp-Hours. ? ?Deep cycling of a starting battery will quickly ruin it. ? There are marine dual purpose batteries that supposedly provide both cranking and deep cycle. ?Supposedly is the operative would. ? They are a compromise between both uses but are really designed to crack light marine outboards and run a few lights and maybe a bait or bilge pump. ? ? You do not want this type of battery ?-- avoid it. ? You want a pure deep cycle unit. ?

If anyone has any answers or could help I would appreciate it. ? One more question does the battery have to be on some kind of battery charger while it sits idol off season.

Yup. ? A battery will lose a significant amount of charge even disconnected. ? Connect them to a good quality trickle charger, or be ready to recharge them at least monthly. ? If you do not have a sealed battery, check the electrolyte at least monthly and top up with distilled water. ?

My batteries are sealed units -- the current set being Lifeline AGMs. ?The solar unit I have mounted on my trailer has voltage controller that maintains them at full charge and conditioned over a period of months. ? ?Therefore, I leave them mounted on the trailer with a battery switch that I installed turned off.

Back
Top Bottom