RV Electrical adapter plug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don Peterson

I went to pick up an adapter plug for my Travel Trailer to plug it into my house electrical system, just to check the lights, etc. But I couldn't find one in several places that I looked like Ace Hrdwr, Home Depot, Meijer's, so I was told to go to an RV Sales store. Unfortunately the nearest one is a 60-mile round trip, and I don't want to make the run just for a plug. Is there a place where you can buy these things online? My RV plug is a 30-amp, which has two angled flat blades and a round ground pin between them. Is there an online RV store where I could order something like this? How many different types of adapters could I expect to need with all the at various camping areas?

Thanks,
Don

Don Peterson said:
I went to pick up an adapter plug for my Travel Trailer to plug it into my house electrical system, just to check the lights, etc. But I couldn't find one in several places that I looked like Ace Hrdwr, Home Depot, Meijer's, so I was told to go to an RV Sales store. Unfortunately the nearest one is a 60-mile round trip, and I don't want to make the run just for a plug. Is there a place where you can buy these things online? My RV plug is a 30-amp, which has two angled flat blades and a round ground pin between them. Is there an online RV store where I could order something like this? How many different types of adapters could I expect to need with all the at various camping areas?

Thanks,
Don

Don,

Wal-Mart carries the adapters.

Don,

Like that great guy from Alaska said Wal-Mart would have them.  In the automotive section there is usually a small section for RV supplies.

Don Peterson said:
I went to pick up an adapter plug for my Travel Trailer to plug it into my house electrical system, just to check the lights, etc.

If you plan to do that a lot at your home, like I do, consider buying a permanent three prong RV receptacle having it mounted.  I simply set up a box off a standard receptacle in my garage and installed a RV 30amp receptacle bought at a electrical supply house.  Because you always plug in a trailer under load, arcing is a problem and can char your adapter or plug.  I cured that by installing a switch controlling the RV receptacle.  A 20 amp switch does it nicely.

That sounds like a good idea, Carl. In fact, when I was at Home Depot this afternoon, I saw a recepticle for my 30-amp plug, and thought I should mount a permanent one in my garage. Installing a switch is also a good idea, and I will do both those things eventually.

I went to Wal-Mart this evening per Ron's suggestion, and found an adapter plug that will only handle 15 amps, but all I am after now is an initial checkout of the electrical system before I leave on my short trip either Saturday or Sunday (depending on weather). So the $5.00 Wal-Mart plug suits just fine for now. I didn't realize what a large RV section they had there, it was fun to browse around and see what was available. I picked up a bottle of holding tank deodorant and a pressure regulator for the garden-hose hookup. It must be pretty obvious that I am new to this RV thing.

Also bookmarked the Camping World site for future browsing.

Thanks to all for the help,
Don

Don:

I have exactly the adapter you need sitting in a drawer in my little kitchen area.  I could mail it to you.  I'm right near a CampingWorld, should I EVER need one of these.  In fact, I think I had 2 or 3 of them and may have put the others in a campground rec room for anybody who needed one.

--pat

Don:  Almost forgot to add.  There's a CampingWorld sort of near you.  It's in Naperville on I-80 just an exit west (I think) of 394.  Is that the one that's 60 miles from you?  I didn't realize St. Charles was so far north or west.  I used to run over there after riding around Argonne.  I lived in the Loop.

One thing about CW stores, though, is to check and make sure they have what you want. They don't their electrical department too well stocked. 

Oh, another suggestion.  Lots of RV dealers carry minimal supplies, especially such things as these adapters.  Are you near any dealers?  Again, phone first.

I've been to St. Charles.  I just can't remember what I've seen.  You're up 56, right?

--pat

Actually, Pat, I go to College of Du Page in Glen Ellyn, which is not far from Naperville. I'll just swing by there one day and browse around just to see what they have. It's good to know that there is one so close. Fox Valley Mall is not far from there and I used to shop there fairly frequently. It is not far from where I live. Downtown St. Charles is at the intersection of Route 64 (North Avenue in Chicago) and State Route 31. The Fox River runs right through the center of town. I live a little south and west of the downtown area.

I was able to find an adapter plug at Wal-Mart per Ron's suggestion, and I was pleasantly surprised to see the variety of RV-stuff that they stock.

Next time I get out to Home Depot, I'll pick up a 30-amp receptacle and install it in my garage with a switch as Carl had mentioned earlier. In the mean time, I can plug in and check out my trailer with the adapter, as well as charge the battery.

Don:  I should have said Bolingbrook.  I just looked at the store directory in my CW catalog.  I meant I-55.  It's on I-55, like Argonne.  Exit 267.  Exact address is 620 S. Wood Creek Dr.  You get off the exit on Hwy 53 and head north to the first light, which is almost immediately.  Obviously, if you're coming south on 53, you turn west on Remington Blvd., just before the interstate, into the industrial park.  Go maybe 1/2 mile or so.  On your right you'll see a sign that says Wood Creek.  Turn left and wind back a couple hundred yards into CW.  I have tried to visit all the CWs along my travels, and they seem to make a point of picking locations kind of buried in industrial parks.  Once in CA I could see the thing from the interstate and couldn't find it on the local roads.  I gave up. 

Bolingbrook store phone 800-621-1038.  Hours are

Jan-April
M-Sat 8-6
Sun 10-5

May-Labor Day
M-Sat 8-7
Sun 10-5

Service bays end early and are closed Sunday.

--pat

Back
Top Bottom