RV Engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lancair90

Hello:

I'm new to the forum, and somewhat of a novice to RVing.  A few years back, we owned a Endeavor DP with a Cat, then a couple of years later we briefly had a Winnebago with the Ford V-10.  We're thinking of doing it again with a used unit, and I'm  wondering about how long the gas engines will last without some major repairs.
I've heard that on the Ford 460's and Chevy 454's to be wary of anything over 50,000 miles, and that the Ford V-10 will last quite a while longer.
I would appreciate any and all advice!!

Thanks,
Harry

If you take care of the 460 Ford and use Mobil one or another good oil they will last well over 100K miles.  I ran one for over 400K and the guy that has it now is over 570K with nothing done to the engine except 2 water pumps.  I'll take that anytime.

We ran a 454 113,000 miles and it was still going strong when wew sold it. Our last RV had a 460 with 70,000 miles that was still running like new when we traded.

The current big block GM engine, the GM 8.1L V8, is rated to be a 200,000 mile engine, even in motorhome use. That assumes adherence to factory maintenance schedules, of course, but does not even require synthetic oil. I suspect the Ford V10 is in the same league, but haven't seen anything in writing from Ford on that score.

Well, it certainly seems the older engines have the potential for lasting quite a while if cared for properly.  One of my concerns would be, when buying a used RV, how are you going to know if the former owner cared for it properly or if they abused it.

Asking for records sounds like a good idea. Had not thought of that.
Thanks for all the input.

Harry

lancair90 said:
I've heard that on the Ford 460's and Chevy 454's to be wary of anything over 50,000 miles, and that the Ford V-10 will last quite a while longer.

Hey Harry, I'm an RV newbie just like you but I have been gleaning valuable information from this and other forums for many months now.  ;)  Regarding your comment above, I do know that you don't want mileage *too* low also especially on older units.  A 20-year-old motorhome with only 30k miles means it spend a lot of its life sitting still and not being maintained.  Not good... I think a good balance between # of miles and quality/frequency of maintenance is the key.  Also, speak frankly with owners/sellers if you're looking at a particular rig... sure, there are straight-up liars out there, but most people will be honest if asked a question outright.  Plus if you have an extended conversation with an RV owner/seller, you should be able to get an idea of their feelings toward the rig and how much care they gave it.  :)

This thread makes the Ford 460 sound more reliable than the Chevy 454, interesting insights that I haven't noticed before in previous threads.

I didn't pick up on the F-460 vs GM-454 bias, but I can say that I have put 120K+ on two different 460S (one carburetor fueled and one EFI) and both were still performing flawlessly when traded.  No oil burning, passed regular emission testing, etc...

My current coach has a 460 with 34K miles and I just put 13K miles on it his season.  Running strong.

I just wish Ford had produced a decent transmission back then.....

lou

I've always chaged fluid more often the recommended and never had problems.  Also always installed 2 oil coolers for the tranny.

Shayne said:
I've always chaged fluid more often the recommended and never had problems.? Also always installed 2 oil coolers for the tranny.

Shayne, what impact would having the Banks system installed have on the longevity of an engine. Mine on a Winny Adventurer is a 460 that now has around 48k. When I purchased this '96 rig earlier this year, I thought I would have to go with the Banks system for more power on  grades. Was totally surprised, and pleased, on my trek back from Texas to NCal in that it pulled grades just fine as is (w/a Jeep in tow).

But still may add it in the future -- so was wondering if you had any thoughts. Would a Banks system extend or lessen the life of this 460, considering I do everything else correctly in terms of PM?

Bob:

I added the Banks to our 460 at 28k and at 70k it was running like new when we traded. Had the Transcommand and also had no tranny problems, changed fluid at 60k and it was fine.

Bob  the Engine runs cooler as well as the Tranny, Consequently the engine should last longer, in my way of thinking.  I had a 460 on a 93 MH (34') and it ran like a scoulded dog and would out run the one I have now, but this one has a tag axle and that makes a huge difference also. The banks I have include s the K&N air filter system. All I can tell you is I'm happy with it and should I buy another gas unit it will have it on it before I drivew it.  I just believe in it.  Specifications to me dont matter when I satisfied.

Bob,
Would a Banks system extend or lessen the life of this 460, considering I do everything else correctly in terms of PM?
I don't think the Banks would have a negative effect on engine life. Many 460's have been successfully modified for racing use. If anything, the 2-bolt mains would be the weak point, but without adding a competition cam and high compression pistons, you shouldn't have any problems.

I'm a die-hard Chevy man but I got rid of a 2002 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1 V8 because Chevrolet couldn't stop the oil consumption.  Turns out it is was common in this engine and there were numerous factory tech bulletins  that included replacing the gaskets and all the head bolts and re torquing to very rigid specs.  It slowed down the consumption from about 1 qt/1000 miles to 1 qt/2000 miles but since this was a problem from day on I decided to trade for a crew cab Duramax in 2004.  Maybe they have the problem solved by now but it is something to look into.  I spoke with people that ran commercial trucks with this engine and they just lived with it since it was a lot cheaper than the Duramax.

Jeff Cousins said:
I added the Banks to our 460 at 28k and at 70k it was running like new when we traded. Had the Transcommand and also had no tranny problems, changed fluid at 60k and it was fine.

Thanks, Jeff. It will be awhile before I move in that direction -- but don't want to wait too many miles to do it. Right now, it doesn't use any oil -- at least not between mid Texas and Penryn, CA.

Shayne said:
Bob? the Engine runs cooler as well as the Tranny, Consequently the engine should last longer, in my way of thinking.?

That makes sense to me, Shayne. Seems I read somewhere that one of the problems with the 460 was that it runs hot -- and that shortens the life. I read this while doing research on the V10 I had in my Tioga. Evidently, that is a big advantage of 10 vs. 8 -- at least, according to one article I found. I "did" really like the V10 in the Tioga. It was quiet, never over heated, and pulled the grades.

Thanks for the feedback.

Karl said:
Bob,I don't think the Banks would have a negative effect on engine life. Many 460's have been successfully modified for racing use. If anything, the 2-bolt mains would be the weak point, but without adding a competition cam and high compression pistons, you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks, Karl. You would know. :)

Was really wanting a competition cam and high compresson pistons tho. Never know when some wise guy RVer might want to drag from a stop light somewhere. ;)

I remember when the Shelby <sp> cobra hit the streets -- wasn't that a ford engine wearing a liittle metal and sitting on four wheels?

Will you have your car in tow at QZ this year? Folks, I rode with this guy from QZ to Parker (about 35 miles) and it took about 3.5 minutes each way . . . :)

Bob,
I remember when the Shelby <sp> cobra hit the streets -- wasn't that a ford engine wearing a liittle metal and sitting on four wheels?
Yes it was, and your spelling is correct. The engine was a 427 producing up to 485hp. Incidentally, your 460 is a 429 with a longer stroke, same bore.
Will you have your car in tow at QZ this year? Folks, I rode with this guy from QZ to Parker (about 35 miles) and it took about 3.5 minutes each way . . .
Sorry Bob, not this year. Water pump took out the timing belt, bent some valves, maybe punched some holes in the pistons. Don't know yet; haven't gotten all the other stuff off so I can pull the heads. And you do exaggerate...
a bit ;D

Bob Buchanan said:
That makes sense to me, Shayne. Seems I read somewhere that one of the problems with the 460 was that it runs hot -- and that shortens the life. I read this while doing research on the V10 I had in my Tioga. Evidently, that is a big advantage of 10 vs. 8 -- at least, according to one article I found. I "did" really like the V10 in the Tioga. It was quiet, never over heated, and pulled the grades.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bob:

The only times I saw big heat increases were pulling long, hard grades at 3000+ RPMs. If you wanted to help that the Gear Vendor aux tranny would probably do you more good allowing you to split the gears and avoid the higher RPMs.

Back
Top Bottom