RV fire at a Loves RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura & Charles

Could be anywhere. Originally from Ohio. Go Bucks!
Hate to hear about something like this, regardless where. But we’ve stayed at this particular Loves a couple of times. I’ve spoken favorably about Loves program for RV sites, and still will. But one thing I’ve not considered is how close RVs are next to each other and the implication of that in event of a fire.

Unfortunately, fire can take hold whether you're at a Lowe's, Walmart, Cabela's or on a proper RV park. We've actually been closer to other RV's on some commercial campgrounds than at free sites.
In the UK, when you run a rally as a member of either main camping clubs you have to maintain 6 metres between units in all directions, but they don't enforce this on their own sites. I have challenged this and there excuse is the site staff have been trained with fire extinguishers. As if one or two of those would have helped the poor souls at Lowes.

They don't cite the cause of the fire yet (Still under investigation)
But Tony's comments remind me of my position on running with propane on (not that it's necessary for this to happen)

The famous Refrigerator fire.

If it happens when you are going down the road. 1: You are close to the exit (usually driver's side of the Fridge) 2: People will call your attention to it... 3 They will avoid you.
If it happens at say an FMCA rally with rigs parked so close you can almost lean out the window to shake hands with your neighbor (no they are not that close) Not only are you on the wrong side of the Fridge so you need to dive out the window.. But not just your rig but at least one of your neighbors is gonna burn.

Years ago at an Escapade an attendee was severely burned when he was messing around with a portable propane heater and the line feeding it from the RV's system came loose and caught fire. Dozens of neighbors rushed to his aid and tried to beat down the flames but no one thought to turn off the propane at the tank.

"The famous refrigerator fire"... that debate (propane on or off for refrigerators when traveling) .... yea.

Makes me glad I am out of that argument finally. My refrigerator is a Samsung Residential. All electric.

About the in the article and the concern posted... reminds me of a scarry event.

First travel trailer, second outing at an Indiana State Park. Campsites were fairly close, Fall time of year, lots and lots and lots of leaves on the ground.

Neighbor camper behind us decided to have a camp fire. We were gearing up for bed (night time).

First, they did not clear any leaves from around the fire pit. Second, they threw in their fire wood and a bunch of leaves on top of that. Third, they poured gasoline over everything.

They hit the match and we heard the "whoof!" as the flames shot up. We looked out the back window and was horrified. Their fire pit was not more than 10 feet from our camper. We could feel the heat through the window.

"The famous refrigerator fire"... that debate (propane on or off for refrigerators when traveling) .... yea.

Makes me glad I am out of that argument finally. My refrigerator is a Samsung Residential. All electric.

About the in the article and the concern posted... reminds me of a scarry event.

First travel trailer, second outing at an Indiana State Park. Campsites were fairly close, Fall time of year, lots and lots and lots of leaves on the ground.

Neighbor camper behind us decided to have a camp fire. We were gearing up for bed (night time).

First, they did not clear any leaves from around the fire pit. Second, they threw in their fire wood and a bunch of leaves on top of that. Third, they poured gasoline over everything.

They hit the match and we heard the "whoof!" as the flames shot up. We looked out the back window and was horrified. Their fire pit was not more than 10 feet from our camper. We could feel the heat through the window.
There was a group of college kids who decided to do something similar when I was living in L.A. They decided they needed a big campfire to get the true camping experience. In an RV park in the middle of the city with maybe 12 ft. between the rigs. The park owner wasn't happy when he came in the next day and saw the huge burn mark on the lawn.

I used a propane fire starter but ALWAYS inside the fire ring It was custom made for starting campfires and worked well. basiclly a single burner tube like for a gas grill with a regulator and hose. The tank at a good distance.. Shove it UNDER the ring long enough to get 'er going and then turn off at tank and remove from fire.. TURN OFF AT TANK (portable only)
Never had a problem with it.. Worked well too.

As others said. Check your detectors. Replace batteries and also the units when they get too old. Rvs and campers go up fast. Make sure you can get out of the escape windows in your sleeping areas quickly. You can’t fight your way through a fire with an extinguisher. It is the smoke that kills you quick not the fire. Extinguishers do nothing against smoke or anything larger than a small garbage can fire.

Fire is the reason we went with a 12v refrigerator after our old Dometic died. It's also the reason we use lots of blankets rather than the gas furnace during cold nights. The only issues for me are those age-related visits to the John half way through the night. :(

There was a group of college kids who decided to do something similar when I was living in L.A. They decided they needed a big campfire to get the true camping experience. In an RV park in the middle of the city with maybe 12 ft. between the rigs. The park owner wasn't happy when he came in the next day and saw the huge burn mark on the lawn.
Not at a RV park, but we had a neighbor, not the brightest bulb in the bunch, start a fire about 3 feet from his house. When I saw all the black smoke I called 911. One of the local police showed up first and investigated. The idiot was trying to burn wet newspaper with gasoline. There were two gas cans sitting right beside the fire. The cop actually grabbed both cans and threw them across the yard. Then the fire department arrived. I almost wish the house would have gone up in flames. These people have cause a lot of grief before in the neighborhood.

The article says the fire was at a Love’s parking lot. Does anyone have the reference this was at the RV sites? And for the love of God, keep your smoke detectors in good shape! With a fire at 3:00 am you will die of smoke inhalation and never wake up.

The article says the fire was at a Love’s parking lot. Does anyone have the reference this was at the RV sites? And for the love of God, keep your smoke detectors in good shape! With a fire at 3:00 am you will die of smoke inhalation and never wake up.

The picture in this article shows it happened at the RV sites. :(

Fire is the reason we went with a 12v refrigerator after our old Dometic died. It's also the reason we use lots of blankets rather than the gas furnace during cold nights. The only issues for me are those age-related visits to the John half way through the night. :(

Those are a pain in the operating system
My CO detector was.. Well the old one was made in 2013 Google says 5-7 years 10 at best) and installed in 2015.. It started the BEEP BEEP... Long pause.. BEEP BEEP of "I have failed". Made a call to maintenance and The new one was installed this week about 2 hours later. Same model so same mount.. Amazing. (newer version though this one only has 2 AA batteries old one had 3)

As others said. Check your detectors. Replace batteries and also the units when they get too old. Rvs and campers go up fast. Make sure you can get out of the escape windows in your sleeping areas quickly. You can’t fight your way through a fire with an extinguisher. It is the smoke that kills you quick not the fire. Extinguishers do nothing against smoke or anything larger than a small garbage can fire.

Agree with all this. I do believe that one has a chance to potentially save the RV if the fire can be caught early. I made sure I mounted extinguishers fore and aft. There is no chance getting to the forward door in a mid cabin fire and the sole extinguisher I had was mounted by the door.

A also exercised the emergency hatch at the rear to see how troublesome it would be to get out. It's a fair drop to the ground in most coaches so factor that in as well.

We had a former fire fighter give a presentation at a Diesel RV Club rally not too long ago. He said you can’t really fight an RV fire with a small extinguisher, but you can use it to clear a path for escape. RVs are so full of flammable items that will generate toxic smoke that you should just leave. Sweep the extinguisher in front of you to clear a path and get out! Maybe I am slow, but I had never thought of it that way, but that is the way I would do it now. We keep a good sized extinguisher in the bedroom, another in the kitchen, and a third in the front.

Agree with all this. I do believe that one has a chance to potentially save the RV if the fire can be caught early. I made sure I mounted extinguishers fore and aft. There is no chance getting to the forward door in a mid cabin fire and the sole extinguisher I had was mounted by the door.

A also exercised the emergency hatch at the rear to see how troublesome it would be to get out. It's a fair drop to the ground in most coaches so factor that in as well.
Yes, but you only have two choices. Jump out the window and take a chance on breaking your leg or dislocating a shoulder, or stay in the burning trailer.

I'm still a little confused by our coach. The toilet in the rear bathroom is directly in front of the emergency exit door. Over the toilet is the only way out. You can leap, or use the self-deploying ladder on the door, but you still have to get over the toilet. Better than having to wiggle through a window, I suppose.

Better than having to wiggle through a window, I suppose.
MUCH better. I've actually made test runs on getting out that way, and it's much easier than trying to contort through the typical window exit, especially as we age and get less strong and less flexible. We bought a telescoping ladder that we left next to that door, so that in spite of the toilet obstruction it's fairly simple.

And, we discovered that later Newmar models actually incorporate a telescoping ladder in the door, which is what prompted me to get such a ladder. Note, too, that the emergency door was, along with the way the house battery bank is mounted, a major factor in choosing the Newmar over a Tiffin or certain other brands.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom