RV FOOD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffro

What do most of you bring on the road with you as far as food is concerned?
We all know eating out 2-3 times a day can get $$$.
What are some of your go to meals?
Thanks😎😎😎

Unwritten law in our house, sticks & bricks or the moving one, only one meal a day can be eaten out. We tend to do lunch out more often than dinner.

With storage and prep space limited we tried to keep things simple. Very little frozen food unless we were going to eat it within a day or two, pasta, preformed burger patties, fresh produce if readily available,sandwiches. I refused to shop every day.

It really depends on the destination, we live in a small town (about 10,000 people) so dining options are limited, excluding fast food the choices here amount to 4 or 5 Mexican Restaurants, a Japanese Sushi place, a not so good all you can eat Chinese Buffet, a couple of BBQ joints (new one just opened this week, in place of the local coffee shop which closed due to Covid), and 2 or 3 steakhouse / nice burger kind of places, 2 of which have the same owner and somewhat similar menus, just different themes (western vs cajun). So when we travel we like to experience the local dining options, Navajo tacos on fry bread at Twin Rocks Trading Post in Bluff, UT, Coopers BBQ in Llano, TX (original location, or just some random hole in the wall New Mexican food place next door to the RV park in Sante Fe with some incredible sophopilas. Of course if we are staying at a national park campground we will tend to cook for ourselves, on travel days it is often something simple, sandwhiches, or maybe frozen pizza in a roadside rest area, though if we see some place interesting that catches our eye, and there is parking we may stop and give it a try. Of course in the motorhome we have an advantage that most RV's don't have, nearly 7 feet of counter top space not counting the stove of kitchen sink.

Though we eat out occasionally, we typically will carry some quick and easy meals, such as frozen Angus and frozen french fries for a quick supper or frozen croissants for breakfast, but DW will sometimes prepare a casserole before leaving that we cut up and freeze meal size portion, and often we'll cook from scratch just as we do at home. She's made cakes in the convection oven for dessert, various dishes for us and/or for pot lucks, and we bake biscuits and fry sausage to have biscuits and sausage gravy, omelets, hot cakes, fried chicken, fried or mashed potatoes and veggies, and more.

So as others have indicated above, we usually eat much as we do at home, though sometimes a group get-together (rallies, etc.) may have us eat out a little more than normal or go with a pot luck when appropriate. Of course when we used to travel by car, we carried a cooler and other supplies so that we could have lunch anywhere we could stop, making sandwiches instead of finding a restaurant. We still do that when on the road except that the cooler and supply sack are much bigger now.

Also, you might look in the "Homemaking On The Road" section here for recipes and other such discussion too.

I used to do a lot more meal prep. I'd cook 2-3 dishes on a Sunday and tupperware them. Was cooking for 3 men. In the RV I am solo and space is more limited.

I am doing a little more pre-processed stuff these days and TBH costs are up a bit. I also try to keep it simple and "one pot" cook. Breakfast (when I eat it) tends to be banana on toast/english muffin and a fruit smoothie. I rarely eat lunch and if I do it's a sandwich type deal.

Dinner is usually my main meal. For meats I keep pre-cooked beef and chicken fajita meat and use it in all types of stuff. Recently I have also weaved in pre-cooked Brisket, beef tips and sirloin from the deli section. I use predominantly frozen veg and always mix in a good portion of veg. I am trying to cut back on carbs and have recently discovered the usefulness of the 90 second instant rices. Usually Jasmine or spanish rice.

I buy fresh cut fruit every week and try to eat as much as I can. I've never had a lot of luck with lettuce because I can't get through it all before it wilts so I am buying a couple of the "assemble yourself" salads from the deli each week as well as some specialty deli salads like pasta salad, coleslaw, greek salad etc. I'll add some extra proteins to them and usually use my own salad dressings. I also like to go to the "good" grocery story where they have a nice deli and pick up a couple of different deli salads a week. I like long lasting snacks so I get the pre-cut carrots and or celery sticks.

My shopping is largely influenced by living solo so YMMV. When my wife joins we will probably migrate things a bit. I don't eat out. Ever... Primarily due to covid but also because eating out is the single most expensive variable cost everyone has in their budgets.

Final thought on storage - I repackage just about everything that comes in square plastic tubs (with a lot of air inside) to ziploc bags. There is a cost to them and they aren't the most enviro friendly but they store anything efficiently, even left over soups and chilis which can even be frozen.

Same as at home its just a different kitchen and i love to cook, we stay away from pre-packaged crap and anything microwaved as that stuff just is not good for you

We tend to pre-make stuff before the trip. We do this at home all the time, so it's not a big chore. If we make soup or stew or sauce, we make a bunch and freeze quarts of it. We ordered a big sleeve of the one quart takeout containers like you see at a Chinese restaurant. One quart is usually plenty for the two of us, and super easy to toss in the RV freezer.

We also vacuum seal and freeze things like taco meat, marinated chicken, etc. Keeps forever and you can heat in hot water right in the bag.

Of course we bring plenty of snacks, sandwich fixings and salad stuff, too.

Come to think of it, I don't think we've ever eaten out while on an RV trip.

PS: OP, your avatar tells me we would probably get along. We are everywhere!! (~);=}

We have a residential refrigerator, and most of our trips are 2-3 months, so we just cook as we do at home. I like trying new restaurants (pre-COVID), so we would eat out 2-3 times a week, but generally at lunch. I do like having pre-portioned meat in my freezer, some cooked (a nice pork butt or pot roast divided into 8 oz portions), and some not (chicken beasts or thighs in 8-10 oz portions). Find the small towns we frequently stay in uneven in meat qualit’s. I also keep a variety of good frozen vegetables and a pretty well stocked pantry of necessities like Parmesan, panko, seasonings, etc.

We tend to cook as much or more in the RV as at home, since there are fewer distractions. Things like most fresh vegetables don't need to be refrigerated for short term storage so we take along whatever we think we'll want to make. Keeping the cold storage items down to those that actually require it makes the absorption fridge space workable, and for the two of us a dish that fits in the little easy bake oven is plenty. DW whipped up our Thanksgiving dinner last fall with all the fixin's, it was great. Nothing like walking through the campground after a hike and smelling something wonderful cooking, and discovering it's coming from your RV.

Aside from the monetary cost of eating out, there's the time factor if you have to make a trip to fetch it. It's one thing if it's a night out or part of the sightseeing but for eating on the run I can whip up a sandwich and take it with me and have it ready whenever I want without having to make a detour to scarf down some fast food.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

What do most of you bring on the road with you as far as food is concerned?
We all know eating out 2-3 times a day can get $$$.
What are some of your go to meals?
Thanks😎😎😎
we eat the same stuff on the road as we do at home except we grill outside way more. I can even smoke ribs when needed with table top propane grill/smoker unit I carry

Doesn't it tend to be dependent on the type of rig you have? For instance in the motorhome I tend to start dinner in the oven about 3 PM, Such as Baked potato, Baked Chicken etc. I then get back on the road for 2-3 hours while dinner cooks. I do not see that being as easy in a fiver or TT.
If in a hurry or lazy I love the Hormel shelf stable meals 2 minutes in the microwave and done otherwise Marie Callendar's chicken pot pies are great.

Hi,

Having now RV'd for 5 years, we like to take items that don't require refrigeration as they are normally light and can be fixed with other things we do keep in the fridge. Usually keep some steaks and chicken and 5 lbs of hamburger to make meals of various types. Also like to keep snacks and drinks we can cool off in the fridge. We also take tomato paste and make our own spaghetti sauce. Water weighs a lot and some campers don't have much payload but we usually keep either a tank of water or four or five gallons of water we can use. If we are in towns where we can buy a gallon of water we don't carry so much with us.

Bags of soup mix are nice because you can fix a good soup with a few other items like onions, canned tomatoes, and a pound of hamburger, plus seasonings we like. I'd suggest making a menu of things you would like to fix. I'd try to have about ten or twelve items. Then you can rotate menus so your not fixing the same things too often. You can fix sides like dried rice packets or frozen vegtables to make things just slightly different. Also if you pack a crook pot that is useful with a lot of meals and contained all in one pot for easier clean up, stew meat would be added to the other meats in the freezer.

Here are a few of our meals we use:

Soup Meals - Chili, Cheddar & Potato, Vegtable
(need ground beef or chicken), Can Tomatoes, & Onion

Sloppy Joes - Chili Dogs (need whole wheat toast or buns)

Tacos or Burritos & Rice

Spaghetti We Make (use whole wheat)

Hotdogs on a stick (State Fair) easy lunch meal with a side

Steak & Chicken on the Grill (or Hamburgers & Chicken)

Hobo Stew - Chicken Breasts Grilled

Freeze Dried

Brats on Grill & Sauerkraut

Lunch Meat Sandwiches - whole wheat buns, turkey lunch meat, lettus, tomato, cheese, mayo

Make our own Burritos with hamburger, onions, cheese, put rice side dish in burrito, can or fresh tomatoes and serve with rice side dish.

The hobo stew is simply a foil wrapped meal, hamburger, onions, carrots, potatoes with some salt and we put in some barbq

Hi,

Having now RV'd for 5 years, we like to take items that don't require refrigeration as they are normally light and can be fixed with other things we do keep in the fridge. Usually keep some steaks and chicken and 5 lbs of hamburger to make meals of various types. Also like to keep snacks and drinks we can cool off in the fridge. We also take tomato paste and make our own spaghetti sauce. Water weighs a lot and some campers don't have much payload but we usually keep either a tank of water or four or five gallons of water we can use. If we are in towns where we can buy a gallon of water we don't carry so much with us.

Bags of soup mix are nice because you can fix a good soup with a few other items like onions, canned tomatoes, and a pound of hamburger, plus seasonings we like. I'd suggest making a menu of things you would like to fix. I'd try to have about ten or twelve items. Then you can rotate menus so your not fixing the same things too often. You can fix sides like dried rice packets or frozen vegtables to make things just slightly different. Also if you pack a crook pot that is useful with a lot of meals and contained all in one pot for easier clean up, stew meat would be added to the other meats in the freezer.

Here are a few of our meals we use:

Soup Meals - Chili, Cheddar & Potato, Vegtable
(need ground beef or chicken), Can Tomatoes, & Onion

Sloppy Joes - Chili Dogs (need whole wheat toast or buns)

Tacos or Burritos & Rice

Spaghetti We Make (use whole wheat)

Hotdogs on a stick (State Fair) easy lunch meal with a side

Steak & Chicken on the Grill (or Hamburgers & Chicken)

Hobo Stew - Chicken Breasts Grilled

Freeze Dried

Brats on Grill & Sauerkraut

Lunch Meat Sandwiches - whole wheat buns, turkey lunch meat, lettus, tomato, cheese, mayo

Make our own Burritos with hamburger, onions, cheese, put rice side dish in burrito, can or fresh tomatoes and serve with rice side dish.

The hobo stew is simply a foil wrapped meal, hamburger, onions, carrots, potatoes with some salt and we put in some barbq
Thanks😎😎😎

I don't like spending time, so I usually cook & freeze some basic meals at home before we go. Pulled pork, taco meat, spaghetti sauce, shredded beef for burritos, etc. are stables. (If making these for meals at home, make extra, freeze & you'll have them ready to go for your next trip). Will fry up breakfast sausage for a casserole & biscuit & gravy. Since I can use beef, ground pork or turkey, or no meat in any of those, it gives a variety of meat. I have been using baggies because I can squish the air out, make it almost flat & stack in the freezer. But after reading a post above I realized I can use the seal-a-meal. Then the usual roasted chicken, potatoes to bake, steaks, pork chops, chicken breasts, hamburger patties, tuna, deli meats, ppj, for sandwiches. , I will take along a bag of pre-made salad, various kinds, & use up first what will go bad quickly.(thought - if your grilling at home steak or chicken breast grill extra, slice it, freeze it. then you can take it & use it on top of a salad.) Then all the staples, spices, coffee & creamer, wine. (Another thought- I have a tall square container of flour in the cabinet above or close to the stove. If there is a grease fire, I can dump it on the fire instead of looking for the fire extinguisher. Don't ask me how I know.)
DH says the most weight in the coach is from the kitchen stuff. The only counter top appliances were the coffee pot & toaster. But we never were gone more than a week or so. We didn't have to stop for groceries much. Our 1st coach had more kitchen storage. The new coach has less storage, same fridge but a microwave/convection oven. I'll probably add a crock pot or insta-pot. If that adds to much weight, DH will have to dump some tools or something from the storage cubbies. Or he can cook!
We started out in 5th wheels so this plan carried forward to the 1st motorhome. Since he is retired now we are looking forward to taking longer trips, I'm sure it will change. I have never tried cooking while moving. I am looking forward to learning how to make a pineapple upside down cake in the convection oven.
We will eat out 1X a day if traveling. Once we park, it depends on if we are out & about, and is usually lunch.
Great subject, thanks for sharing everyone!

I am looking forward to learning how to make a pineapple upside down cake in the convection oven.
Exactly the same as at home. make it up in the pan, pre-heat the oven, then put it in, following the instructions in the manual for your convection oven. If traveling the Rockies or other high altitude areas, be aware that some recipes need adjustment for altitude, others don't. That's primarily because of the reduced air pressure (maybe affects yeast rising?), and of the lower boiling point at altitude.

Back
Top Bottom