RV FOOD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are north of you so have had to make some adjustments baking, but if we get high(hehe)er (just kidding) I will have to watch it. Thanks for the reminder.

we eat the same stuff on the road as we do at home except we grill outside way more. I can even smoke ribs when needed with table top propane grill/smoker unit I carry
I saw a video from Van Trekking Lifestyle that does wonderful smoking on his Blackstone griddle. He puts an upside down deep tin cooking tray over his racked ribs cut to fit and brags about them. They surely look good when he is done and does not take as long as normal smoking times in smokers with woodchips. And I love the exterior hookup from the main propane tank removing the need for the green throwaway tanks for my griddle.

Like everyone has said we eat pretty much like we did at home. We had a large MH, so we could carry an adequate amount of food. On travel days my DW would start a crockpot before starting out or during lunch and we would have dinner ready when we stopped for the night, and leftovers for a couple of nights.

We tend to do a little more take out when travelling but not a lot more.
Our main difference on the road is using paper plates since we don't have a dishwasher.

Callendar's chicken pot pies are great.
I love those things and always have a couple in the freezer for when I don't have time to cook.

I don't like spending time, so I usually cook & freeze some basic meals at home before we go. Pulled pork, taco meat, spaghetti sauce, shredded beef for burritos, etc. are stables. (If making these for meals at home, make extra, freeze & you'll have them ready to go for your next trip).
<snip>

Yes! I precook a lot of meats with generic spicing. The store easily in ziplocs in both fridge or freezer. That saves a ton of prep time and fewer pots.

DH says the most weight in the coach is from the kitchen stuff. The only counter top appliances were the coffee pot & toaster. But we never were gone more than a week or so. We didn't have to stop for groceries much. Our 1st coach had more kitchen storage. The new coach has less storage, same fridge but a microwave/convection oven. I'll probably add a crock pot or insta-pot. If that adds to much weight, DH will have to dump some tools or something from the storage cubbies. Or he can cook!
Amen sister!

I bought and carried an insta-pot. It had a big footprint and weighed a lot. It also had a pressure cooking lid. After using it a while I realized the "only" go to feature I was using was the air fryer. I replaced it with a smaller air fryer/toaster oven, got rid of the Ninja and 4 slice toaster and found/added a small pressure cooking pot. My wife loves her pressure cooker and made a convert out of me as well.

The new Air Fryer is mounted above the dinette where a super old and useless clock/radio/cd player was.

You are better than me in the appliance department as I have coffee maker, toaster oven, rice cooker and blender.

Oh, I also bought an egg McMuffin maker - it is absolutely the coolest little breakfast device yet.

campermcmuffin.jpg
2021-02-28 10.53.31.jpg

Oh, I also bought an egg McMuffin maker - it is absolutely the coolest little breakfast device yet.

I don't know about McMuffin (I avoid McD.) -- I always think of it as Eggs Benedict with the cheese substituting for the Hollandaise sauce (English muffin, cheddar, Canadian bacon, one egg) -- but I've been using one of those at home for years. I don't take it on the road because DW doesn't care for them and it only does one at a time anyway. Four minutes cooking, once the green light is on. Love it.

I haven't ventured into the air fryer yet, but it seems to be a good gadget. The instapot is actually DH's he wanted for Christmas 2 years ago. It is big & heavy. I have used it for a couple of things but again may broaden my horizons. It seems the crock pot is my go-to appliance. But the McMuffin maker (I avoid McD too) looks promising! I like it with avocado, spinach & tomato on mine. Could even make some Hollandaise sauce to put on it. Add some cheesy grits, yummmm. Add canadian bacon to the grocery list.

The easiest thing is to keep the basics in the RV--sugar, flour, baking supplies, etc. But don't leave them in their original cartons--put everything in no-spill, plastic containers that have tight tops. And also bring along a ton of ziplock bags kin large and small sizes because you will want to repackage things like meats before you freeze them. Things will take a lot less freezer and refrigerator space when they are repacked.

You also might want to organize things like spices in baskets that you can leave in your home kitchen or quickly bring to your RV without having to pack them up each time.

And I strongly recommend a couple or more of mouse traps to leave out between trips!

I don't know about McMuffin (I avoid McD.) -- I always think of it as Eggs Benedict with the cheese substituting for the Hollandaise sauce (English muffin, cheddar, Canadian bacon, one egg) -- but I've been using one of those at home for years. I don't take it on the road because DW doesn't care for them and it only does one at a time anyway. Four minutes cooking, once the green light is on. Love it.
They do also make a two-holer unit!

As noted the best thing is that you can make your own ingredients and actually put something in that is a real egg instead of a yellow and white hockey puck.

Camper AL put it real well. I am constantly looking for stuff that will keep, easy to store and easy to fix. Watched a video, Slim Potatohead, he had a pint sized milk carton that was dried hashbrowns, open it, pour in boiling water let sit 12 mins then cook like normal hashbrowns, add sliced up polish sausage or whatever else you want. Anything that don't need refrigeration is good. I love milk for cereal, so I buy the individual cups of cereal, and the sealed cartons of milk that need no refrigeration till they are opened. I put one in the fridge and use it till its gone. Doesn't take up a lot of space and I can keep several stored away. Expensive, yes, somewhat, but very convenient.

While I have not yet, the crock pot idea is good if you are in a campground with power. They don't draw much power, even my huge 6 qt with a locking lid only uses 240w/120vac. You can even do crock pot breakfasts.

Speaking of Breakfast, this Nordic Ware Egg cooker (bought two at Target, found one new at a thrift store) works perfectly for doing an egg for a english muffin. Oil it, plop the egg in it and stir with a fork (don't scratch it, hold the fork horizontal) and in 60 seconds or less in the microwave, you have the egg ready. Nuke a precooked sausage pattie or precooked bacon (again, pricey but worth it), and a cheese slice and you have breakfast.

I also like whatever can be cooked on a Blackstone griddle outside. Whole meal, all at once on the griddle, problem is planning and I'm no good at that.

Working and single, I ate out alot, now retired at home herding cats, I have to plan. I have a Blackstone 17 inch griddle to travel with so I got a deal on a 22 inch on legs to keep on the screened in porch to learn how to cook on it. Hmmmm sounds like blueberry pancakes and bacon tomorrow!

Charles

Last edited:
These are always fun threads. We eat pretty much like at home. When we eat out we try to find the local spot. I see no need to drive 1500 mile from home to eat the same fast food as in my back yard.
Something I like to do when out exploring in the shops businesses where we are is to ask the people. If you wanted to go eat lunch/supper at a better/great place where would you go? I have gotten some amazing recommendations doing that.
Bill

Slim Potatohead, he had a pint sized milk carton that was dried hashbrowns, open it, pour in boiling water let sit 12 mins then cook like normal hashbrowns, add sliced up polish sausage or whatever else you want.
Has he figured out his right heater stove yet? :D He has worked on different versions all winter, I think. we love our Blackstone 22" portable griddle. We have all but given up on any open grill cooking. The two burner feature, which you can adjust your heat allows you to cook the entree and side dishes all at one time. We brown our hotdog and hamburger buns and both tastes just about as good as the older grill cooking. Of course we bought the hose setup for connecting it to the camper's propane. They have a hose that will attach them to the 20 pound bottles for home use too. Thats what we use at home when cooking on the deck.

I do anything from corned beef, home made bread, baked chicken, roasted veggies, lots of split pea or lentil soup, lots of seafood ang grits, and sometimes I will make a cake.
I only have an electric griddle, instant pot, and a large air fryer.
There are some items that have taken a few tries to get them to come out right, but with some thought and a few tools you can make almost anything.

Hi Wildbill308 and all,

Wildbill said: These are always fun threads. We eat pretty much like at home. When we eat out we try to find the local spot. I see no need to drive 1500 mile from home to eat the same fast food as in my back yard.

I'm a fun gi just call me mushroom. :)

I'm the same, don't want to eat out at fast food places that I can eat here at home. Rather explore and find something unique. Going out to eat provides a change from our menus in the RV. AL

Hey all. We do not even get our coach until May but I’m planning ahead. I’m T2 diabetic and have been searching for forums on being diabetic and traveling in a class A motor home. Really looking for food ideas for lunch on driving days and campfire snacks. I just can’t do much with carbs anymore. Also looking for breakfast ideas on the mornings we break camp and pull out early. I hear it’s not a great idea to do bacon or sausage inside the coach. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. So excited about this new adventure so I’m trying to alleviate some of the stress. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum

Why would it not be a good ifea to cook sausage or bacon in a RV. Ya it will smell for a while but the smell goes away. Just make sure you’re using the exhaust fan above the stove and maybe even the vents going through the roof.

I hear it’s not a great idea to do bacon or sausage inside the coach.
We do one or the other often, just keeping the outside vent fan open (and running -- it's right over the stove) to let the odors out quicker. Of course, just like at home, keeping the meat covered while cooking will minimize grease splatter. And, just like at home, the odors dissipate fairly quickly if you have adequate ventilation.

I’m T2 diabetic and have been searching for forums on being diabetic and traveling in a class A motor home.
I am too and, other than minimizing things with sugar, I pretty much eat the same things I did before getting diabetes, just watching quantity, and recognizing that breads and beef (among other things) tend to be high in carbs, but fish and (unbreaded unfried) chicken tends to have fewer. More exercise helps a LOT, too.

I am not diabetic, though I keep an eye on my A1C due to gestational diabetes 40 years ago. It sneaks up if I have too many carbs. For breakfast I really like eggs and turkey sausage. I just cheat and buy the pre-cooked packages of sausage and heat it in the microwave. I try to keep some boiled eggs in the refrigerator too. For lunch I will have just sliced ham or turkey and cheese. Sometimes I do that with crackers, sometimes no crackers. I really dislike cooking bacon anywhere due to the mess! I will sometimes cook a big batch at home in the oven (self-cleaning!) and package it up for a trip.

Back
Top Bottom