RV FOOD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We cook all the same meals in our motorhome as we did when we had a sticks and bricks kitchen. We both like our bacon extra crispy, and we've found cooking it in the microwave does a good job without burning it. We layer a pound of bacon between layers of paper towels to capture the grease. What we don't use right away is frozen for future use. The vent fans make short work of the odor.

The wife and I love charcoaled/smoked burgers/steaks occasionally seasoned with powdered Worchester sauce or Dale's Sauce, and polish sausage to where they are dark brown, slightly blackened to that perfect flavor. Since we love to charcoal and never seem to have the time at home we only charcoal when camping, both lunch and dinner. That makes camping more special. I love BBQ also but I'm not talking about BBQ where the sauce is applied before or during cooking.

In the south charcoaling is an artform. We use only real charcoal and fruit woods because propane doesn't come close to seasoning the flavor. I was the executive manager of a steakhouse for 5 years. No successful steakhouse uses gas or a griddle. That is fast food fare.

Nothing changes, i do all the cooking and refuse to call skip the dishes etc. I dont do fast food except for maybe once a month if that. Cooking on the road just takes a little longer in prep and cooking time. I dont use prepackaged anything if i can help it so when we stop for groceries im usually planning 2 or 3 days ahead but we also have the luxury of an 18cu ft fridge which helps a ton

We have a lot of salads with chicken, fish, steaks. If we have been out for a long day then we might have a tin of pre cooked chicken with some ramen noodles like a thick soup. I make chilli and gazpacho often and you can freeze these easily.

We have limited gadgets but we do use a ninja blender, a small stick blender to whip up mayo, hollandaise etc. We have 2 frying pans and 3 pots. A toaster, kettle and coffee drip machine.

We have eggs a lot for breakfast, scrambled, omelette, poached with bacon or avocado on toast.

We are trying to stay away from carbs and sugar. If you have type 2 diabetes I recommend looking up a medically researched and highly successful eating plan called Fast800. I lost 2 stones last year and am about to embark on it again as I need to get rid of more.

My wife is such a good cook but cooks outside on a skillet.

Her dad was from India and she uses spices most people have never heard off. (she's my cinnamon girl) They eat very little meat, almost vegetarian which is good for me because my blood type is A positive.

I fish so the skillet works well too and so easy to clean. She cooks, I clean and take out the garbage.

Frozen foods are great in the microwave in bad weather.

I still love hot dogs and brats on an open fire.

Last edited:

Her dad was from India and she uses spices most people have never heard off. (she's my cinnamon girl) They eat very little meat, almost vegetarian which is good for me because my blood type is A positive.

I fish so the skillet works well too and so easy to clean. She cooks, I clean and take out the garbage.

Saw Biden's green targets today eating only 4 pounds of red meat a year. I thought that was funny, when I was 30 I could eat an 18 ounce prime rim. As you get older you eat less red meat.

I'm pretty much a vegetarian now. When I eat meat I prefer non-breaded gently cooked fish... most people over cook fish... I can eat them raw. In Canada when I was in the boy scouts we drank water directly from the lakes and learned to clean fish really well... I love sardines...

My dad was in the military and I had two older brothers which is probably why I'm the man I am. My dad was an assistant Boy Scout master and took the troop to Canada every year. He was the greatest dad in the world but he wasn't good at riding a bicycle or motorcycle.

Attachments

• KLR650.jpg
    KLR650.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I used to do a lot more meal prep. I'd cook 2-3 dishes on a Sunday and tupperware them. Was cooking for 3 men. In the RV I am solo and space is more limited.

I am doing a little more pre-processed stuff these days and TBH costs are up a bit. I also try to keep it simple and "one pot" cook. Breakfast (when I eat it) tends to be banana on toast/english muffin and a fruit smoothie. I rarely eat lunch and if I do it's a sandwich type deal.

Dinner is usually my main meal. For meats I keep pre-cooked beef and chicken fajita meat and use it in all types of stuff. Recently I have also weaved in pre-cooked Brisket, beef tips and sirloin from the deli section. I use predominantly frozen veg and always mix in a good portion of veg. I am trying to cut back on carbs and have recently discovered the usefulness of the 90 second instant rices. Usually Jasmine or spanish rice.

I buy fresh cut fruit every week and try to eat as much as I can. I've never had a lot of luck with lettuce because I can't get through it all before it wilts so I am buying a couple of the "assemble yourself" salads from the deli each week as well as some specialty deli salads like pasta salad, coleslaw, greek salad etc. I'll add some extra proteins to them and usually use my own salad dressings. I also like to go to the "good" grocery story where they have a nice deli and pick up a couple of different deli salads a week. I like long lasting snacks so I get the pre-cut carrots and or celery sticks.

My shopping is largely influenced by living solo so YMMV. When my wife joins we will probably migrate things a bit. I don't eat out. Ever... Primarily due to covid but also because eating out is the single most expensive variable cost everyone has in their budgets.

Final thought on storage - I repackage just about everything that comes in square plastic tubs (with a lot of air inside) to ziploc bags. There is a cost to them and they aren't the most enviro friendly but they store anything efficiently, even left over soups and chilis which can even be frozen.
Using ziplock bags for food storage is a great idea and one I use even at home. We are new to full-time RV living but I envision an eating plan much like yours. I have room to store an insta-pot and a large electric skillet, with those and the grill I won't need many other pots and pans. I plan to make a large meal every few days - we love leftovers - using the stove for smaller meals. Haven't figured out the 'baking' part yet. My larger baking pans won't fit in the oven.

ps - our retirement plan included a live-aboard trawler but hubby's health nixed that plan...so we're now living in an anchored 'land-yatch'. :)

Using ziplock bags for food storage is a great idea and one I use even at home. We are new to full-time RV living but I envision an eating plan much like yours. I have room to store an insta-pot and a large electric skillet, with those and the grill I won't need many other pots and pans. I plan to make a large meal every few days - we love leftovers - using the stove for smaller meals. Haven't figured out the 'baking' part yet. My larger baking pans won't fit in the oven.

ps - our retirement plan included a live-aboard trawler but hubby's health nixed that plan...so we're now living in an anchored 'land-yatch'. :)
I did the boat thing for a while and look forward to doing it again.

I have figured out that I don't use many electric appliances. I have a simple set of pots and pans. The most complicated I do these days is a large (maybe 4 or 6 qt) pot that ends up being where the "one pot" meal ends up with a small 6 inch fry pan to stir fry other ingredients.

I had an instapot and storage space didn't justify the amount of usage. I switched out a combo air fryer/toaster oven and also got rid of the toaster.

It's slower than the ninja and doesn't have the capacity but that's OK because it's usually just me or two.

I mounted it on a shelf above the dinette.

I also have an electric grill that I keep in the basement. It's really great for a couple or three steaks or fish or whatever when you don't want use the BBQ or make a fire.

I have a rice cooker but TBH I have switched to the 90 second micro rice packs. They are pretty good and come in a few flavors I like to use.

I've noticed that many on here say they've gotten rid of their insta-pots. I may find myself in that group after a few months of trial and error. I agree that the instant rice these days is much better than it used to be! Since soups and stews are my go-to for meals and leftovers, plus the pressure cooker and slo-cooker options I thought that a single pot 'with 9 features' would be a space saving all-in-one cooking item. Time will tell. :) I did buy a combo toaster oven/air fryer/+5 other features I've forgotten, but never opened it because now it seems too big. Pan wise, I have a 6" skillet and a 2 quart saucepan. I will occasionally be cooking meals for 4 adults and 2 children...though I can walk to the house and use a 'real' kitchen if need be...but we'd like to be as independent as possible.
I, too, prefer charcoal over gas for grilling but a small gas grill came with the unit...so I'll give that a try for a while.
Thanks for your input!

I don't know about McMuffin (I avoid McD.) -- I always think of it as Eggs Benedict with the cheese substituting for the Hollandaise sauce (English muffin, cheddar, Canadian bacon, one egg) -- but I've been using one of those at home for years. I don't take it on the road because DW doesn't care for them and it only does one at a time anyway. Four minutes cooking, once the green light is on. Love it.
The egg muffin makers are great. We have a double one in the house. When we are out at the cabin with the in-laws we bring ours and they bring theirs and we can whip up muffins for everyone pretty quickly when we get 3 of them going!

Saw Biden's green targets today eating only 4 pounds of red meat a year. I thought that was funny, when I was 30 I could eat an 18 ounce prime rim. As you get older you eat less red meat.

I'm pretty much a vegetarian now. When I eat meat I prefer non-breaded gently cooked fish... most people over cook fish... I can eat them raw. In Canada when I was in the boy scouts we drank water directly from the lakes and learned to clean fish really well... I love sardines...

My dad was in the military and I had two older brothers which is probably why I'm the man I am. My dad was an assistant Boy Scout master and took the troop to Canada every year. He was the greatest dad in the world but he wasn't good at riding a bicycle or motorcycle.
Just because it's Father's day. I miss him so much.

Last edited:
Nb
Just because it's Father's day. I miss him so much.

Hey all. We do not even get our coach until May but I’m planning ahead. I’m T2 diabetic and have been searching for forums on being diabetic and traveling in a class A motor home. Really looking for food ideas for lunch on driving days and campfire snacks. I just can’t do much with carbs anymore. Also looking for breakfast ideas on the mornings we break camp and pull out early. I hear it’s not a great idea to do bacon or sausage inside the coach. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. So excited about this new adventure so I’m trying to alleviate some of the stress. Thanks in advance.
Same here, bacon is messy in the coach, so I cook up a few pounds at home, individually package (small snack-sized bags) single portions, then freeze. Pretty much do this with any fried foods that splash grease and fill coach with unwanted food smells. As others have said, repackaging saves space. , Also a big plus for those extended/boondocking adventures, also recently acquired a Dometic Dual Zone Fridge/Freezer for additional food storage space, given the small area available in my Absorption Fridge - pack that too much, and it won't keep things frozen, due to the lack of air flow around the food. Thus, the Dometic DZ...

Also plan to pick up an Instapot, but thinking this may be more for home prep of foods I can freeze and pack in the RV... Will have to get some experience using it before deciding if it's worth taking along in the RV... but excited to try!

What do most of you bring on the road with you as far as food is concerned?
We all know eating out 2-3 times a day can get $$$.
What are some of your go to meals?
Thanks😎😎😎
Yeah, pretty much whatever we eat at home. We have a seal a meal so I make boiling bags with rice, pulled pork, spaghetti sauce, soups and chili. Etc. We enjoy breakfast burritos and they are easy to make. Fresh corn on the grill.

Also a T-2 Diabetic.
Cook in the RV same as home though when my wife was alive she liked me to grill foods.. Grilling is actually a low-fat form of frying (The fat drains away) Kind of like the George Foreman style grills for home use (I use a knock off in the house when I grill)

What do most of you bring on the road with you as far as food is concerned?
We all know eating out 2-3 times a day can get $$$.
What are some of your go to meals?
Thanks😎😎😎
First of all, I bring Beer. 😜

Dispite my rig having a 10 cube foot fridge I try to bring as much non-perishable food as possible. With that said, I bring Steaks, Bergers, hotdogs, fresh fruit and veggies. Basically, stuff we eat on a regular basis at the house. We will just take what we already have at the house and load it in the trailer with the exception of buying supplies to make S’mores, got to have S’mores. This keeps our food bill about the same whether we are camping or at the house.

Also a T-2 Diabetic.
Cook in the RV same as home though when my wife was alive she liked me to grill foods.. Grilling is actually a low-fat form of frying (The fat drains away) Kind of like the George Foreman style grills for home use (I use a knock off in the house when I grill)
I'm now about vegetarian.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom