RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 8-15, 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jim, you're absolutely correct.  It's four doors and has one of those black truck bed covers.  I can't even begin to keep up with Pete's vehicles so don't know if it's his or not.  ::)

ArdraF

Here's a picture of the Brewers, the Berrys & Lou Schneider as we get ready to go on the Canyonlands by Night boat ride. 

Mike Wagner

Attachments

• DSCN2325.JPG
    DSCN2325.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 57
And here is Judy and Mike in the Front row seats on the Canyonlands boat cruise.

Attachments

• Judy & Mike at Canyonlands.JPG
    Judy & Mike at Canyonlands.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 44
Agree.  It's very interesting one time, but that's probably enough for most of us.  The cowboy-style meal was pretty good too if you get dinner included.  I think one of the most fascinating aspects to me was being out there on the river in total darkness and really losing a sense of where I was.  I knew I was on a river and felt movement but had no sense of direction.  The night we went we couldn't even see the cliffs in the dark and that contributed to that "lost" sense.  A most interesting phenomenon!  The laser light show was neat too.

ArdraF

Betty, thanks for posting that picture.  My hair is beautiful.  ;D ;D  Ardra, you did a good job of describing the feeling you get on the river in almost total darkness.  And I forgot about the meal.  It was good.

Mike Wagner

Mike - Eerie might be a good word to describe it?!?  You also must have experienced a really dark night because there were no reference points.

ArdraF

We enjoyed it when we did it a few years ago. I thought the talk while you're going upriver was the best part of it. I thought the light show was a bit hokey, Betty thought it was romantic. If you want to get a feel for the light show, drive out the river road about 8:30, find a place to park (group site area at Goose Island is good if there's no group there) and watch a lot of the light show on the cliffs. No sound but you can play your own CDs.

Wendy
home in Cortez

Ernie and Tara,

We have done the Canyonlands Cruise by night  2 times.  Both times the dinner was good, an all you can eat  bar b que  and yummy scallopped potatoes, beans salad bar , corn and a little cobbler dessert.  The night we went out the 3/4 moon appeared out of  a crack in the cliffs and was a very impressive addition.  You get history,  folklore  gelogy and culture on the narration portion of the trip.  It was a cool night and I was glad to have my hat and mittens.  I did snuggle up next to Terry to keep warm and thus the romantic part. 
I say go for it.

Betty

We enjoyed the boat ride when we did it a few years ago. The next day, driving alongside the river, we realized how short (in distance) the trip really was.

The first year we were at Moab, returning in the dark one evening, we passed a vehicle with bright spotlights shining up on the cliffs. We assumed it was part of a search and rescue operation, and had no idea it was part of the boat trip experience until we took the trip a few years later  ???

Hi,

Well! We did it and it was a beautiful night after a somewhat rainy day (managed to find an hour or so between storms for a horseback walk - can't really call it a ride, but Tara has a thing for horses). We enjoyed the boat trip and show and as noted the dinner was very good; especially the barbecue pork. All in all Tara had a good birthday. Thanks for all the responses.

Today, its river rafting; and we'll have done everything except 4-wheeling, the avowed reason we came! Oh Well; there's always tomorrow, next year ,and Idaho.

Tara & Ernie

Great photos.  Next time, I'm going to give that giant 4x4 a try.  A couple of seat belts, 4 air bags and a parachute and I'm good to go.   

Dick & Marilee, thanks for the pictures.  The Unimog trip looks like it was a lot of fun.

Mike & Judy Wagner

Thanks for posting. Great pictures. Looks like the hairy kids had a good time, too :)  Maybe next year we could have a "Doggie Day" on the Unimog ! You are coming back next year?

Wendy
home in Cortez

The news from this rally just won't stop.

For the intrepid souls who hiked to the Delicate Arch, here's confirmation that it was as great as you thought.  From the USAToday Great American Outdoors section, this entry is in the 51 Greatest American Hikes -- 1 per state! --

Utah

The 3-mile round-trip hike to the Delicate Arch in Arches National Park  ranks among the world's best. It's not just that the improbable-looking sandstone arch is among the most unusual formations anywhere. The hike itself is wonderful. It begins its 480-foot climb at the historic Wolfe Ranch, crosses a wash via a hanging bridge and then climbs up solid sandstone. The reward ? the Delicate Arch ? is hidden from view until the last possible seconds. nps.gov/arch

? Recommended by Tom Wharton, travel writer for the Salt Lake Tribune

There you have it!  Enjoy it again!

Don

Back
Top Bottom