rv furnace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johngholaday

i have a 1985 ford tioga motorhome.  i just had the tanks filled.  the furnace and water heater aren't working.  i think that the mechanic left the main valve off, but i am not sure where it is located.  any help would be appreciated.

The main propane valve is found right on the propane tank itself. The propane tank will usually be located in one of the storage bays around the outside bottom of the RV.

Look for a bay door without a lock, that should be where the propane tank and valve are.

The "Door with no lock" is good advice,, Second, yes the propane pump jockey left it off, In fact I chewed one pump jockey out for NOT turning it off the one time a jockey forgot it.

Second... You really should have someone go over your RV with you because this is "Basic" info that is supposed to be covered in the pre-delivery inspection.. Of course often that is done quickly and there is way too much for the mind to absorb in that short time but you need to know the location of key items like fuses, breakers, switches, and valves.

John From Detroit said:
The "Door with no lock" is good advice,, Second, yes the propane pump jockey left it off, In fact I chewed one pump jockey out for NOT turning it off the one time a jockey forgot it.

Second... You really should have someone go over your RV with you because this is "Basic" info that is supposed to be covered in the pre-delivery inspection.. Of course often that is done quickly and there is way too much for the mind to absorb in that short time but you need to know the location of key items like fuses, breakers, switches, and valves.
why would u be so worried that the tank was not turnd off when being filled?what does that do?

The pressure from the propane refill could snap a hose thats old or weak/or alow air into the system/or tank sediment that might clog the regulater. but im just a newbee.

The actual fill pressure isn't any higher than normal operating pressure - it is liquid LPG that is being pumped in and gas pressure is simultaneously being bled off by having the relief valve open during fill. The relief valve is opened to make room for the liquid LPG. Still, NFPA rules require that the tank outlet valve be closed and the relief valve open during filling. That eliminates a couple rare but possible sources of safety problems.

The problem with leaving the valve open is you can get liquid propane forced into the vapor pickup tube and regulator while the tank is being filled.

Propane is pumped and stored as a liquid under pressure, with a vapor bubble at the top of the tank.  As the system draws vapor from this bubble more liquid propane boils into vapor to take it's place.

The conversion ratio is 270:1 - one gallon of liquid propane makes 270 gallons of propane vapor.

Normally this happens in a controlled manner inside the tank.  But if liquid propane makes it past the regulator in liquid form, it will expand into vapor in the low pressure part of the system.  Since it's now in a restricted space, the resulting pressure will overwhelm the regulator, rupturing it and/or sending a large pressure surge to the rest of the propane system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natalihu
Back
Top Bottom