RV Goals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVNoob7

Whats up everyone,

My name is Taylor, I'm looking forward to meeting you all and learning from you.

My wife and I live in Abilene TX with our 3 kids, and one mini aussie.
The rest of my family lives in CA. We'd like to regularly visit them. I'd like to have a little piece of "home" with me where I go.

Bright idea? RV!

Goal - New travel trailer, new truck, travel with fam.

Never owned a travel trailer. Over the next few weeks I'm going to study up on what you all have to say.

I like meeting new people, feel free to reach out / DM / offer advice / or share a story!

Welcome Taylor, good for you doing your homework. Some things to consider, when you visit family in Cali, do you want to stay in this TT? Parking or camping considerations? You need to decide what TT meets your needs, and what type of Tow Vehicle it will need. If the tow vehicle will also be your daily driver vehicle? A big newbie mistake is people want the 30' long TT , and want to use a simple 1/2 ton truck to pull it, that doesn't work. Read away on this forum, learn about payload (what you can put in and on a specific truck), and how that differs from tow rating. Don't be afraid to ask silly questions, we all were newbies once.

Something to think about. We have stayed in friends driveways in Texas and Florida. My cousin has 5 acres with a barn in Lutz, FL. We parked both our 37’ 5th wheel and 17’ TT beside the barn (had electric and water plus a bathroom in the barn). Those were great situation.s. Other places we’ve visited friends would not allow RV’s even to be parked at the curb if you visiting for any length of time. I’ve heard RV parks can be quite expensive in California. It depends where your family lives. But, for good family fun you cannot beat an RV.

Welcome! We have much in common as I live in Mesquite, TX (D/FW area) and my wife's 4 siblings are all in CA. We have owned several different RVs over the years and have made numerous trips to CA with them. There are many things to consider like the number and ages of those who will be staying in the RV and how you will use it. If your primary reason for the RV is to visit family, check out possible places to stay in the RV that are near to your family as some areas have very few places to park an RV and sites can be very expensive. We usually stay at Yucaipa Regional Park where sites are $40/night but you need to reserve very early in the year to get one. Private RV parks generally cost between $70 & $150 per night, depending on where they are located and the facilities the park has. RV sites are much more available and economical here in TX so the RV is much less costly to use and there are many very good state parks here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom