RV GPS opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lately I have been using Google Maps, but miss some features of my Garmin.  Looking at the description of the Garmin RV 660LMT and think Santa may be bringing me one for Christmas if I am a good boy.  I especially like the ability to alter route on screen.

are there any good smartphone apps that do the same thing as an RV GPS?

The problem for RVers is that we tend to go places that are remote and in this case that means no cell signals for ANY carrier.  We've used Garmins for years and our new Garmin 2757 is wonderful and a huge improvement over our older ones.  We tried a height POI and decided it wasn't useful - which is good because it was shortly discontinued!  ::)  With any electronic device you have to use common sense because none are 100 percent reliable.  The mapping has improved considerably.  Our new map no longer takes us into a bridge abutment in Eugene, OR, to a wall with Walmart on the other side, or down/up a canyon with no road near Mt. Lassen.  There are errors in any system, but not as many as previously.  It's impressive that the 2757 tells you to turn at the stop light before Appleby's or you see various buildings labeled with store names when you look at a shopping center.  The 2757 is far superior to any GPS we've had in cars so we carry it back and forth between them which means we don't have to learn another mapping system and quirks.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
The problem for RVers is that we tend to go places that are remote and in this case that means no cell signals for ANY carrier.  We've used Garmins for years and our new Garmin 2757 is wonderful and a huge improvement over our older ones.  We tried a height POI and decided it wasn't useful - which is good because it was shortly discontinued!  ::)  With any electronic device you have to use common sense because none are 100 percent reliable.  The mapping has improved considerably.  Our new map no longer takes us into a bridge abutment in Eugene, OR, to a wall with Walmart on the other side, or down/up a canyon with no road near Mt. Lassen.  There are errors in any system, but not as many as previously.  It's impressive that the 2757 tells you to turn at the stop light before Appleby's or you see various buildings labeled with store names when you look at a shopping center.  The 2757 is far superior to any GPS we've had in cars so we carry it back and forth between them which means we don't have to learn another mapping system and quirks.

ArdraF
I bought the 2757 due to Ardra's suggestion and she is right. I have had it now for over two years and I love it as much as she does. It is correct about 99% of the time. Thank you Ardra.

You're welcome, Tom.  I didn't know you had gotten one.  Glad you like it too.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
You're welcome, Tom.  I didn't know you had gotten one.  Glad you like it too.

ArdraF
I got one as soon as I read your recommendations. At first I thought I would hate the 7 inch screen but now I love it. You know I always listen to you Ardra, you are one of the smartest people here.

HappyWanderer said:
That's why I never rely on GPS alone. I only use it to confirm the route that I mapped out before leaving the driveway.
This is my method, too.  I check my route on my computer Maps app, then follow Garmin, making sure it agrees with my memory  ::) Knowing how far to the next turn or "seeing" the curves ahead is awfully nice.

On one trip with my older TomTom, it took me down the state hwy, to the county road, to another road, which became a dirt road beside a creek - for 10 miles!  If the river had been high, it would have been under water!  HOWEVER, when it got me back to paved roads, I was ? mile from my destination.  I came home a different route!

SeilerBird said:
You guys are not adventurous at all. I love it when my GPS screws up. I get to see scenery I have never seen before.  ;D

It?s all fun and games until you have to disconnect the toad to get turned around

SeilerBird said:
You guys are not adventurous at all. I love it when my GPS screws up. I get to see scenery I have never seen before.  ;D

Yup, I'd agree with you Tom, if I were in a car, but as Scott says, it's a different story with a toad. And it can sometimes be a lot of miles before you can find a turn-around spot (sometimes a long ways even without the toad).

Here's an app that I found. Has anyone used this? (photo below)

I would much prefer a $28 app than a $300 separate GPS. However, I don't want to spend $28 if it's garbage, either. :)

Attachments

• RVGPS.png
    RVGPS.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 33
Larry N. said:
Yup, I'd agree with you Tom, if I were in a car, but as Scott says, it's a different story with a toad. And it can sometimes be a lot of miles before you can find a turn-around spot (sometimes a long ways even without the toad).
But I am retired and don't pull a toad.

ArdraF said:
Our new Garmin 2757 is wonderful and a huge improvement over our older ones.  We tried a height POI and decided it wasn't useful - which is good because it was shortly discontinued!  ::) 
ArdraF

Not sure what a POI is.  It sounds like that would tell you about height restrictions, but I can't see where that wouldn't be useful.  What am I missing?  I'm new to the game and although I don't have an RV yet, I have put a deposit on a Class C.

Coincidentally, I just searched the forums yesterday for info on the Allstays app only to find out it's no longer available on Android.  I can't find that conversation now for some reason, but I'm glad to see this one was started.  I have the same question about RV GPS sources.

slam308 said:
Not sure what a POI is.  It sounds like that would tell you about height restrictions, but I can't see where that wouldn't be useful.  What am I missing?  I'm new to the game and although I don't have an RV yet, I have put a deposit on a Class C.

Coincidentally, I just searched the forums yesterday for info on the Allstays app only to find out it's no longer available on Android.  I can't find that conversation now for some reason, but I'm glad to see this one was started.  I have the same question about RV GPS sources.

POI=Point Of Interest -- generally most anything other than roads (restaurants, parks, courthouses, monuments, whatever).

POI files are data that your GPS can use to show you special places or know when to avoid narrow roads or low bridges. The files are available with different types of places: camping, driving, historic landmarks, other special interests. It is just a list of name and coordinate info your GPS will be able to show on its screen.

The method of downloading and installing is different for each manufacturer, but basically you put the file in the GPS memory and it uses the info. The user manual or manufacturers website will tell you how to get and install them.

danajdelarosa said:

I would much prefer a $28 app than a $300 separate GPS. However, I don't want to spend $28 if it's garbage, either. :)
I don't think Copilot is an actual GPS. I think it's more of a trip planning app.

Our last long trip(and first long trip), 4000 miles, i used my phone and tablet together. The phone had the HotSpot feature turned on so then my 7" tablet showed the maps app. It worked great and the phone could be used for other things while the tablet displayed our route.

skeeter

Co-Pilot is an app that uses the GPS hardware that is built into every smart phone.

danajdelarosa said:

I have a Garmin 760RV and Co-pilot RV and they both agree 99% of the time.  I like the Co-pilot RV since you can easily zoom in and out and view different parts of the route. 

CWSWine said:
I have a Garmin 760RV and Co-pilot RV and they both agree 99% of the time.  I like the Co-pilot RV since you can easily zoom in and out and view different parts of the route.

Awesome!...great to hear from someone who has used the app. Thanks so much! I think I'll try the $28 app :)

Back
Top Bottom